Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Sopwith Build Battle Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 20 August 2020 13:41:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi guys and gals,
I have a bit a quandry that i'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

I fancy building one of the wooden 1/16 Sopwith Camel kits, and as far as i can see there are two major players to choose from:
The first is the kit from Artesania Latina/Modelspace
https://www.model-space....ith-camel-full-kit.html

This kit has already been featured on this forum, a documented build by arpurchase, so for me that's a known entity.
https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=29876

The alternative is the kit from Model Airways
https://www.cornwallmode...pwith-camel-MA1030.html

This one is unknown to me, or at least in relation to the AL version. The company seem to get a good review, but there's not many build videos to view the quality or content.

So my question is this: Has anyone on the forum built either one of these kits and what were their thoughts? I can get a MA kit quite a bit cheaper than the AL version, but if the build quality isn't there i would rather spend the extra BigGrin

Regards
Gray
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 20 August 2020 15:06:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Hi Gray,
I built the model airways DR1 a few years ago. Model airways kits are pretty good.I did have the sopwith camel kit but I sold it. I did look at Andy Purchases build of the Al Sopwith Camel and I would say based on that the AL version is a nicer kit. The model Airways kits metal parts are a bit rough and I remember aligning the fuselage for the Dr1 was a pain even using the supplied jig.
the DR1 built into a nice model, but it was a bit of a fight at times. the AL kit looked like an easier build, but then part of that maybe due to Andy skills as a builder.

Carl

CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 20 August 2020 15:40:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Carl
Thank you, that's just the kind of info i was needing, as i couldn't find any build diaries for the MA kit, so appreciate the response ThumpUp
admin
#4 Posted : 20 August 2020 16:52:07

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I have both in the stash, and I’d take the AL kit any day of the week, over the MS kit. The white Metal is ghastly on the MS kit.
CaptnBirdseye
#5 Posted : 20 August 2020 19:41:37

admin wrote:
I have both in the stash, and I’d take the AL kit any day of the week, over the MS kit. The white Metal is ghastly on the MS kit.

See this is what makes this forum great ThumpUp
Thanks Mark. Seems I’m being swayed to the AL/MS version.
I also like the many builds of this one on the net. Easier to understand how it all comes together!
Regards Gray
CaptnBirdseye
#6 Posted : 25 August 2020 11:16:53

BigGrin Kit ordered. Best price without importing from US (could be problems with Customs here) was actually from Modelspace! So well done you guys ThumpUp

mogwai
#7 Posted : 25 August 2020 14:18:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi I have the al kit and the parts look top quality to me .might even get round to building it one day.cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
darbyvet
#8 Posted : 25 August 2020 15:18:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
BigGrin Kit ordered. Best price without importing from US (could be problems with Customs here) was actually from Modelspace! So well done you guys ThumpUp

I would caution anyone ordering from US at the moment that there are likely going to be delays. I sent a package to UK and it spent 2 weeks in Chicago before it left for UK and it is almost 1 month and it still hasnt arrived.

Carl

birdaj2
#9 Posted : 25 August 2020 19:45:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just been looking at the downloadable parts list and build instructions.

Looks like a very nice model i must say.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
CaptnBirdseye
#10 Posted : 27 August 2020 15:02:03

Love KIT ARRIVED TODAY Drool

Guess who's one happy bunny BigGrin

Well done MS. They do get a lot of stick when things go awry, so it's nice to give a compliment where it's due ThumpUp
Kev the Modeller
#11 Posted : 01 September 2020 21:23:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks a nice kit Gray which should develop into a nice model when finished, good luck with the build. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra