Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

DC-3 Metal skin fit process Options
JonD
#1 Posted : 10 September 2020 13:40:57

Groups: Registered

I am in process of build of DC-3. My question is about the metal skin for the DC-3. There seems to be little direction for how to fit the skin In place.
When placing the skin parts do you start at a rib mid way or flush? Should there be an overlap of skin with previous or next piece? Ritit pattern should joining skin pieces have rivet pattern on both joining pieces that match up on same rib?
Any direction would be of value. I feel that skin is not as smooth or join to next or last piece is less than ideal. I understand that some kind of paint process will correct some of the match problems but info on how to fit one piece to next and joining skin would help in end product.

Thanks
Jon D
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 10 September 2020 16:38:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

JonD wrote:
I am in process of build of DC-3. My question is about the metal skin for the DC-3. There seems to be little direction for how to fit the skin In place.
When placing the skin parts do you start at a rib mid way or flush? Should there be an overlap of skin with previous or next piece? Ritit pattern should joining skin pieces have rivet pattern on both joining pieces that match up on same rib?
Any direction would be of value. I feel that skin is not as smooth or join to next or last piece is less than ideal. I understand that some kind of paint process will correct some of the match problems but info on how to fit one piece to next and joining skin would help in end product.

Thanks
Jon D

Hi Jon

The skinning of the DC3 is not an easy job and cannot be rushed. Any adjustments made to the panels must be small and gradual until you achieve the best fit possible.

At the end of a section, be it wing, nose or fuselage the plates go flush to the end of that part.

Where two skin panels butt up to each other, they cover half the thickness of the rib where they adjoin to each other, or if you grip the fuselage when its finished you will push the panels in where there is no support under the edges.
Also, where two plates butt together each plate is rivet marked so you end up with a double row of rivets. When marking the edge rivets, get them close to the edge for the best effect.

When a panel butts up to a casting, the instructions state to check the height of the casting with a scrap of metal sheet so they will be flat to each other when you plate round the casting.

In post #4 of the official build Pack 2, it describes how to start the plating and the follow on stages:

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=16215

It is also in the download instructions for pack 2:

file:///C:/Users/Derek/Downloads/DC3_02%20lo-res.pdf

Tip: Cut out the pieces as close as you can get them to each other to save metal sheet. You should have more than you need, but may take a couple of goes with some plates especially when plating around the wing roots.

The skinning process is "DEFINITELY" slowly, slowly as the order of the day.Blink

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"