Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<567
Tony's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S Build Options
birdaj2
#121 Posted : 23 August 2020 17:58:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

OBSERVATIONS AND ISSUES

PICTURES 28, 29 & 30

What I did find interesting but also slightly “odd” was the number of pages devoted in this build guide to cleaning and repairing paintwork.

I assume this is to help with any user damage rather than having to correct any deficits in the supplied parts.

PICTURES 31 & 32

I am having ne issue and that is in relation to the left-hand wheel box louvre.

Its supposed to be a press fit using the 4 pegs on the louvre into the 4 holes in the Wheel Box.

In my case its not clipping in and is sitting proud of the surrounding framework.

Picture 31 is the “faulty” part and Picture 32 is the right-hand wheel box showing how a correctly installed part should sit.

Cannot see any way of resolving the issue without resorting to glue and I do not want to start using that.

I guess all I can really do is see if Customer Services can arrange a replacement louvre.

And that is it for this pack. All very quick and simple on this occasion.

Until the next time Stay Safe and Happy Modelling.

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
28..JPG
29..JPG
30..JPG
31..JPG
32..JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#122 Posted : 18 September 2020 16:13:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

PACK 20 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 18th SEPTEMBER 2020

Well here we go with Pack 20 – just 4 more packs to finish this one.

Oddly enough this pack did arrive with a build guide.

STAGE 65 – THE CHASSIS

PICTURE 1

The parts included this time are

CHASSIS

2.6 x 3mm screws with washers x 7

2.3 x 5mm Screws x 3

2.6 x 6mm tapping screws x 3

PLAQUE

PICTURE 2

The plaque carries the words “Built Specially for Mr Walter Wolf, Automobili Ferruccio Lamborgiiini S.P.A”

It’s a very tiny part so much so its proved once and for all I need to get my eyes sorted as without a magnifying glass I could not read the text on it which is important to do to ensure its fitted in the correct orientation.

PICTURES 3, 4 & 5

The instructions this time would have this self-adhesive plaque being fitted mid-section (pic 3) along the door frame sill – this is incorrect.

Luckily I have the full build guide to this one and in Pack 23’s instructions they provide a correction showing the correct positioning of this piece.

Once this part is in position the chassis is put back in its storage bag until called for in one of the later stages of the build.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#123 Posted : 18 September 2020 16:16:13

STAGE 66 – THE BOOT LINER

PICTURE 6

The Parts Included This Time Are

BOOT LINER

BOOT LOCK

PICTURES 7 & 8

The instructions call for us to “Peel the double-sided tape from between the two pins on the back of the boot lock”.

On my part there was NO double-sided tape.

PICTURE 9

The lock is press fitted into the 2 holes in the Boot Liner. It’s a very tight fight but that said I will probably give it a couple of “dabs” from underneath of some Tamiya adhesive. The parts are plastic to plastic so that should work just fine.

Again, very little to do in this section other than put the Boot Liner back in its bag to protect the flocked surface from damage.
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#124 Posted : 18 September 2020 16:19:55

STAGE 67 – THE LEFT HEADLAMP LENSES

PICTURE 10

LEFT HEADLAMP UNIT

HEADLAMP LENS A

HEADLAMP LENS B

From previous sections we also need:

LED TESTER (Stage 28)

MAIN ASSEMBLY (Stage 54)

AAA BATTERIES x 3

PICTURE 11

Having placed the 3 AAA batteries in the battery box, we plug the lead from the battery box into the socket marked “Battery” on the test board.
We will then test each lead from the Headlamp Unit by plugging them in turn into the test board socket marked “LED1”

PICTURES 12 & 13

And if all is well, we should find that each of the LED’s illuminates.
Interesting that the instructions only tell you to one of the LED’s in the headlight unit.

PICTURE 14

While the instructions do identify the 2 Headlamp Lenses as “A” & “B” its very difficult to spot any difference between the 2 unless you place them against a dark background.

Doing so reveals that the Fresnel markings do differ between the 2 lenses.

PICTURE 15

The instructions would have us fitting the lenses using a piece of masking tape to ease them into position but in my case, I found they went into place without having to resort to that.

Its just a case of carefully putting this assembly back in its bag to await its use at some later stage.

PICTURES 16 & 17

At stage 51 of my build I did mention that the routing of the “Connecting Hose B” seems a bit “odd” as they wanted it placed OVER the oil filter rather than under.

This made the whole assembly look totally incorrect even for someone like me that knows nothing about engines.

I had already made the correct to mine (pic 17) but for anyone that had not then the instructions this time tell you how to correctly route the pipework.

Last month I did raise an issue with Customer Services regarding the grill that fits into the left-hand wheel box as mine will not clip in and sits proud.

They have said they will send a replacement part but as yet nothing has arrived so I might need to progress that.

And that is it for this pack. All very quick and simple on this occasion.

10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#125 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:06:19

APOLOGIES FOR THE DELAYS UPDATING MY BUILDS RECENTLY

Before I start my latest diary update, I feel that maybe some explanation is needed as to why I have been relatively “silent” of late in terms of my build diaries.

Sadly, my Mother passed away recently and to say that has totally knocked me for six would be an understatement.

As much as some people may think me “rather odd” I have lived at home for all of my 57 years. I spent several years helping to care for my father who suffered a stroke and then developed cancer.

He struggled on bravely for a number of years, never complaining, but succumbed to the disease 7 years ago this very week.

Up until the March lockdown my Mum (despite being 86 – would have been 87 on 01/12) was really active and alert for her years, despite having the usual sort of issues you get when you reach this sort of age. Her eyesight was not the best and she had various falls so luckily, I have been a home worker for a number of years.

There was no sign of any illness until the last 3 weeks of her life when she rapidly went downhill. She got so bad that despite her protests she had to go into hospital. Me thinking that the worst outcome would be some sort of operation so you can imagine my total shock after the 2 days she had been in to be told that she was not expected to last the night, but even more difficult being with her when she actually passed away.

We had the funeral last week but living in this now very quiet house I am finding things more difficult then I know how to explain.

In terms of close friends, I have none (again not a nice thing to have to admit too) and my remaining family consists of my brother who has his own life so I cannot expect him to be running around after me.

So, I hope that you can understand why I have been off the radar in terms of builds recently. Even trying to do the latest, what I thought would be easy, update on my Lamborghini has been a bit of a struggle for me today, not helped by having a part issue that stopped me completing the whole build stage.

So, over the coming weeks I am hoping I can try and get myself out of these feelings and try and concentrate on what for many years has been my favourite hobby in terms of model making.

In no way a complaint, because I would not do anything different, my years of caring for both parents while at the same time working full time, did tend to put paid to many of the projects I started or had intended to start.

In terms of what I have on the go at present This Lamborghini is 3 packs away from completion, and hoping CS can sort out replacement parts for those that are damaged.

I have my spitfire ongoing and still having the last build pack to write up and post.

My Harley had 2 packs left to run and while I have been charged for both, neither have been sent and CS tell me they have no timescales as to when that might be resolved. I will email Admin later to see if they can do some investigating for me as something, I was told by CS some months ago has me “fearing” this particular build may never be finished.

So, my apologies to start of my latest update with heart felt emotions but just felt some explanation was required to try to explain my present situation.

Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#126 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:10:02

PACK 21 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 20th NOVEMBER 2020

Well here we go with Pack 21 – just 3 more packs to finish this one.

Sadly, this pack revealed a faulty part from an earlier pack so have not been able to fully complete this months build but more on that later.

STAGE 68 – THE HEADLAMP LINK BAR

PICTURE 1

Headlamp Lock Bar

2.6 x 4mm Self-Tapping Screws x 2

Lock Hinge R

Lock Hinge L

Lock Hinge C

PICTURE 2

FRONT COMPARTMENT (Stage 27)

LEFT HEADLAMPS (Stage 67)

2.6 X 3MM SCREWS WITH WASHERS X 2 (Stage 65)

PICTURE 3

We take the Lock Hinge C (the longer of the 3 hinges supplied with this stage) and this is fitted to the rear of the front compartment (it’s a keyed part so it will only install one way – the correct way).

We use 1 of the supplied 2.6 x 4mm self-tapping screws to fix this in place.

PICTURES 4 & 5

On the headlamp link bar each support bracket is labelled up L & R to indicate the left- and right-hand sides of the piece.

PICTURES 6 & 7

Take the previously assembled Left Headlamp and place it over the 2 mounting posts on the “L” marked side of the Link Bar.

Secure the headlamp in place using 2 x 2.6 x 3mm screw with washer.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
Happy Modelling

roymattblack
#127 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:12:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Nothing can 'fix' personal problems but a hobby can give you partial break from it all for a while.
Trust me - I've been there - big time.
While you are absorbed with painting, gluing, sticking and fixing bits together, the 'real world' is shut out, if even only for a while.
Embrace that time.

I'm sure we all wish you well and look forward to seeing what you are up to when you feel like posting something.

Apart from that, keep looking in on all the other builds and daft chatter even if they aren't your usual thing.
Add comments - you WILL get replies.
Treat it a bit like being up the pub with your mates - only it's virtual.

All the best - Roy.
birdaj2
#128 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:13:18

STAGE 69 – THE RIGHT HEADLIGHT

PICTURE 8

RIGHT HEADLAMP

HEADLAMP LENS B

HEADLAMP LENS A

LED TESTER (Stage 28)

HEADLAMP LINK BAR (STAGE 68)

2.6 x 3mm Screws with Washer x 2 (Stage 65)

PICTURES 9 & 10

We need to correctly identify the two headlamp lenses as they have different Fresnel etchings so it’s important these are installed correctly.

Easiest way to see what you are looking at is to put a piece of black card behind them as that makes the etched detail really stands out.
The lenses are then press fitted into the headlamp assembly.

PICTURE 11

Using the test board, we plug each lamp wire into the “LED” part of the tester to ensure the lights operate – which in this case they do.
I am not car expert but its interesting to note that so far all of the headlamps are “yellow” in tint which I guess is correct?

PICTURE 12

Similar to what we did with the left-hand headlight we again fix the right-hand headlight to the support bar with 2 screws.

This part is then stored away safely until called for in a later stage of the build.

8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
Happy Modelling

roymattblack
#129 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:15:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I didn't edit my previous post as it stands as it is - but WOW - great to see where you are up to.

I built this kit about a year ago and I'd LOVE to build it again.
It's a fantastic kit - probably among the best 1/8 car kits ever.

Keep it coming.Love
birdaj2
#130 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:16:42

STAGE 70 – THE ROOF AND REAR BODY PANELS

PICTURE 13

Left Front Indicator Lamp

Sticker Sheet

LED TESTER (Stage 28)

Main Assembly (Stage 54)

Engine Cover (Stage 55)

Roof (Stage 62)

Rear Wheel Box Assembly (Stage 64)

2.6 x 6mm Screws x 2 (Stage 64)

2 x 4mm Screws x 2 (Stage 63)

AAA Batteries x 3

PICTURE 14

First step is to make sure the supplied Indicator Lamp works. And as you can see in this picture it does (again with a yellow glow).

PICTURES 15 & 16

We then need to recover from safe storage the Roof and Rear Wheel Box Assembly.

PICTURES 17 &816

These 2 sections are secured through the 2 arrowed fixing point you can see in this picture, using 2 x 2.6 x 6mm screws.

Extreme care needed here as the parts are heavy and at this point its only 2 relatively small screws holding the 2 sections together.

PICTURES 19, 20 & 21

What should now complete this section of the build is the fitting of the engine cover.

However, having fitted this something looked very wrong to my eye in that the engine cover was sitting proud of the recess it should fit into and at the same time was not sitting parrel with the 2 sides of the wheel boxes.

If anything, the part was “twisted” towards the left side of the car so would not close down fully.

Having spent some time taking everything apart a few times and re-assembling my attention turned to the actual engine cover itself.

And on examining that part it shows this is the issue in that there is a definite twist in the part across the “vent” section (arrowed in pictures 20 and 21) as well as the left-hand panel (arrowed in picture 20) being angled upwards were as the same panel on the right-hand side is level.

So, at this point the build cannot be finished in terms of installing this part and I have just emailed customer services in the hope they can replace this part for me.

Its not a part you could manually twist back into shape by hand unfortunately.

And that is it for this pack. All very quick and simple on this occasion, with sadly the above-mentioned issue that only came to light when trying to fit this section in place.

13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
Happy Modelling

delboy271155
#131 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:19:47

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Tony, you have absolutely nothing to apologise for.

It takes a strong person to write what you have, especially to people you only know via this forum.

You have my heartfelt sympathy for your present situation, but keep your chin up.

Keep yourself occupied so your mind has something to focus on and hopefully the clouds will lift and you will have something to focus on for the future.

Wishing you all the best

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#132 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:21:11

roymattblack wrote:
Nothing can 'fix' personal problems but a hobby can give you partial break from it all for a while.
Trust me - I've been there - big time.
While you are absorbed with painting, gluing, sticking and fixing bits together, the 'real world' is shut out, if even only for a while.
Embrace that time.

I'm sure we all wish you well and look forward to seeing what you are up to when you feel like posting something.

Apart from that, keep looking in on all the other builds and daft chatter even if they aren't your usual thing.
Add comments - you WILL get replies.
Treat it a bit like being up the pub with your mates - only it's virtual.

All the best - Roy.

Roy

Many thanks for your kind words.

Its only forums like this that have been keeping me going over the last week or so, having that ability to at least communicate (even if its only via a keyboard) with other people.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

roymattblack
#133 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:22:31

Keep 'on the page'...
Lots of friends here.
birdaj2
#134 Posted : 20 November 2020 21:23:38

delboy271155 wrote:
Tony, you have absolutely nothing to apologise for.

It takes a strong person to write what you have, especially to people you only know via this forum.

You have my heartfelt sympathy for your present situation, but keep your chin up.

Keep yourself occupied so your mind has something to focus on and hopefully the clouds will lift and you will have something to focus on for the future.

Wishing you all the best

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Derek

Many thanks. These situations affect so many people - I realise that. I guess when things are running well its something you never think about in terms of how things can change overnight.

I certainly want to get back into my model making as its a diversion for the mind having something like that to concentrate upon.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#135 Posted : 21 November 2020 01:29:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Stay strong Tony. Not easy to open up in the way you've done especially on an open forum. Remember, you're an important part of this forum and will always be with friends who care.

Its great to see you've got yourself back into keeping yourself busy with your builds, it occupies your mind and time too. The build is looking superb and as usual your diary is exceptional.... Well done and keep posting your updates.....Cool Cool

Best regards

Alan
admin
#136 Posted : 21 November 2020 02:35:38

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Tony,

First, and foremost, my sincere condolences on the loss of your mother. I feel the sudden passing of anyone we care about is far more devastating than if they were to go gradually. You simply don’t have time to prepare yourself mentally. I’m facing the latter in my own family, and it will be a relief. (My grandmother is 104 1/2, is lost in dementia, and has Covid. She seems to be kicking the Covid though!!)

It is hard to do anything when you are processing so much “LIFE” and things like our hobbies become a task akin to climbing Mt. Everest, without oxygen. It just doesn’t happen.

These forums are an escape, and a much friendlier one than in years past. I admire, and am grateful that you feel at home here enough that you are able to share. Speaking for myself, there is zero judgement about anything. Most of my friends exist on the other end of a phone. I have only a very few friends in “meatspace” but I’m fortunate to have friends all over the world in cyberspace, courtesy of this hobby. As you’ve just discovered, you too have far more friends in cyberspace than I imagine you anticipated.

Now, what I CAN hopefully help with are your bloody CS issues. Shoot me a PM, and let me know what stages you need. There are some complications, but I’ll discuss those with you via PM.

Lastly, your Countach is looking great! It’s a fun build, for sure!

Best wishes,

Mark
darbyvet
#137 Posted : 21 November 2020 03:26:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Hi Tony,
so sorry for your loss.I cant imagine what you are going through, but please remember you have friends on this forum. I hope you will start to feel better soon.

Carl

Sh4WrY
#138 Posted : 18 June 2022 21:12:21

Hello where did you get the 2.3mm tap? any links to the actual product? cheers
birdaj2
#139 Posted : 20 June 2022 23:06:04

Sh4WrY wrote:
Hello where did you get the 2.3mm tap? any links to the actual product? cheers

Really sorry but its such a long time ago i could not advise who supplied the 2.3mm tap.

Fairly certain it would have been via ebay as many of my purchases tend to be but as to the seller i have no recollection.

If you do a “google search” for “2.3mm tap” it does give some results.

Sadly some are very expensive for such a tiny item but did find these 2 which are lower cost (usa one listed as not sure what country you are based in)

https://www.unisoftpat.c...&products_id=188987

https://www.amazon.co.uk...+%2Caps%2C66&sr=8-1

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling