Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

battery sump in Issue 34. Options
slimguy
#1 Posted : 13 September 2020 23:45:32

Groups: Registered

I have managed to get through a number of steps after my fit problems with the lower brace in issue 32. I have moved on and I am now working on the bulhead. But I have another question this time regarding the battery sump. I was able to fit the sump and push fit it in place under the engine block as instructed. It required a good amount of force to fit it far enough for the pipe from the oil pump to fit in place. The sump is so tight fitting that I fear loosening it for removal in order to insert the battery toward the end of the build will be nearly an impossible task. Unlike the video diary I cannot easily pull the sump out without the use of a screwdriver or some other tool to wedge it away from the block. This can't be a normal fit can it? Can anyone comment on this? Perhaps some oil or other lubricant should be used on the pins of the sump? Am I overly concerned here or should I just trust the process and build on.
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 14 September 2020 08:20:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

This was a bit of a problem with everybody.
The locating pegs are a bit too thick.
Run some sandpaper/emery around each post so that the sump goes on much easier.
You will find you also need to cut off the locating peg on the sump end of the oil pump, where it goes in to the side of the sump. If left, the peg also causes a bit of an issue when trying to remove the sump.

All very easy to fix.BigGrin
slimguy
#3 Posted : 14 September 2020 21:46:12

Thanks Roy for the reply. Really nice to have this blog to ask questions and get quick responses. You have been very helpful with all of your feedback.
slimguy
#4 Posted : 19 September 2020 01:07:22

Thanks for the tip Roy on the sump...sanding down the posts worked perfectly. The sump now fits snug but also easy to remove in order to insert and/or replace the batteries.
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 19 September 2020 09:40:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Glad to be of help.
Have fun with the build.BigGrin