Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Steering Wheel Alignment Options
slimguy
#1 Posted : 03 October 2020 02:26:55

Groups: Registered

I am presently on Issue 71 but I am looking forward in the build process as to how some of the subassembies will eventually match up. I have a general concern regarding what I think will eventually be a misaligned steering wheel. It seems that once I attach the steering column from the steering wheel to the steering column assembly that was completed way back in Issue 32, the required fit will result in the steering wheel looking like it has been cranked about a quarter turn to the left. In other words that steering wheel will not be in that perfect "Y" position. I looked back at Issue 32 and there was no mention to be careful that the steering column assembly had to be positioned in a certain way when attaching it to the steering rack mounting. My front wheels turn just fine both when moving the wheels themselves as well as when turning the steering column assembly. Did I miss something along the way here? I thought I better ask this now rather than in Issue 95 or 96 when I mate the dashboard to the bulkhead and steering column assembly. I apologize in advance if this seems like a dumb question. Thanks so much.
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 03 October 2020 09:24:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

It was an issue that has been mentioned before.
Unfortunately, to get the steering wheel correct now, you will have to disassemble the steering rack parts, fit the steering wheel and position it correctly, then reassemble the rack etc.
No way round it.
TBH, it only takes about 10 minutes anyway.

Roy.
slimguy
#3 Posted : 03 October 2020 14:01:52

Thanks for the reply Roy. Very much appreciated indeed. 10 minutes? Easy for you to say. I have seen your amazing builds and I am not even close to being able to do what you are capable of. I am not a super experienced model builder and this is my first large scale model. I am looking at the front end and I admit that I am a bit confused as to what needs to be disassembled to get this problem fixed, cerainly the radiator has to be taken out, anything else?

I am not sure if I should be totally embarrassed about this because I should have realized the potential problem back when I completed Issue 32 or frustrated that DeAg did not mention this in the instruction manual. I can only imagine how maddening it must be to some builders to get to step 96, and almost to the finish line on the build, only to find out they had an issue with how the steering wheel was oriented.

I am now a bit concerned that once I disassemble the front end to re-orient the steering assembly, I will have issues re-inserting all the screws, especially since pretty much all of them self tap with the plastic piece they attach to. I guess I can just complete the build without a fully functioning steering wheel and just leave it at that, but that in a way defeats the purpose of this fine model.

Trying to stay positive here across the pond....again thanks for all of your help.

Slimguy
PS...I recently purchased a set of your decals ...looking forward to dressing up the engine compartment with them.
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 03 October 2020 16:43:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Slimguy, BigGrin

You certainly have nothing to be embarrassed about.

We all started knowing nothing about this Hobby and learnt as we went along.

Every time we tried a new style or scale of modelling, we learnt all over again.

At the tender age of very close to 65, I`m learning about digital electronics. When I qualified in my electronics field in the early 70`s we were still taught about valves (Google "Electronic valves") and a power transistor (new era stuff then) was bigger than a 50p piece.

Keep with it, you`re doing a fine job.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#5 Posted : 03 October 2020 17:52:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Another option would be to carefully drill out the back of the steering wheel and then glue it in the correct position...
slimguy
#6 Posted : 03 October 2020 17:58:09

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Slimguy, BigGrin

You certainly have nothing to be embarrassed about.

We all started knowing nothing about this Hobby and learnt as we went along.

Every time we tried a new style or scale of modelling, we learnt all over again.

At the tender age of very close to 65, I`m learning about digital electronics. When I qualified in my electronics field in the early 70`s we were still taught about valves (Google "Electronic valves") and a power transistor (new era stuff then) was bigger than a 50p piece.

Keep with it, you`re doing a fine job.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks for the encouragement Derek...I am definitely in need of it at the moment...see my next post.
slimguy
#7 Posted : 03 October 2020 17:59:31

roymattblack wrote:
Another option would be to carefully drill out the back of the steering wheel and then glue it in the correct position...

Not sure that will be the best option for mr Roy, but I appreciate the thought and suggestion for sure.
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 03 October 2020 18:44:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Slimguy, BigGrin

Working along the same vein as Roy`s suggestion, but something that will give you a bit more control, here`s another idea.

If my memory serves me well the wheel is made from an alloy so should file gently making the job easier.

I have attached below a very amateurish sketch of the reverse side of the wheel and indicated how you can change the shape of the half circular hole in the wheel underside to turn the wheel in the direction you require. This will allow you to make very small changes at a time, but will still need the addition of glue.

Should you try either method without success PM me your address and I`ll post you a replacement wheel and horn push FOC as I have a spare.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
Jag Wheel.jpg

slimguy
#9 Posted : 03 October 2020 19:47:13

Hello Derek. Thank you for the diagram. Definitely food for thought. Let me noodle through this as well as Roy's suggestion. I will update the post once I de ode which road to take. I am studying the partial disassembly of the front end to see how many items I need to tear down to get clear access to the steering box. If it appears to be to many I will look carefully about taking apart the steering wheel assembly and attacking it from that end. Hopefully I can get it to work. If push comes to shove, since the model will be static in a case I just may have to settle for no active steering.
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 03 October 2020 19:55:34

slimguy wrote:
Hello Derek. Thank you for the diagram. Definitely food for thought. Let me noodle through this as well as Roy's suggestion. I will update the post once I de ode which road to take. I am studying the partial disassembly of the front end to see how many items I need to tear down to get clear access to the steering box. If it appears to be to many I will look carefully about taking apart the steering wheel assembly and attacking it from that end. Hopefully I can get it to work. If push comes to shove, since the model will be static in a case I just may have to settle for no active steering.

Take your time and go the way that suits you best. Should you try adjusting the wheel by whichever method (Roy`s or Mine) and it turns out bad then my offer of the replacement wheel still stands.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

slimguy
#11 Posted : 03 October 2020 19:59:27

You are very generous Derek..thank you..I will let you know.
slimguy
#12 Posted : 03 October 2020 23:19:08

First of all I would like to express a huge shout out to both Roy and Derek for their learned comments, assistance and support as I have encountered a few minor issues with my build.

I did manage to resolve this issue. While I am not positive the steering wheel alignment will be spot on perfect, it will be oriented in a much better position now.

After relaxing a bit and settling down after my paint problem in Issue 73, I sat down and phydically studied the steering assembly as well as the instructions for Issue 32. After careful examination it appeared that all I had to remove in order to to better orient the pinion gear on the steering column was to remove the radiator and hoses, remove the steering rack mountings, and then remove the steering rack assembly from the uprights. That gave me access to the steering column and the pinion gear. I was able to then lift the steering column out of the steering rack mounting and reorient it such that a cleaner fit should now be possible once I mount the dash to the bulkhead and mate the steering columns together. I opted for this solution because with the exception of the radiator, all other attachment points for the screws were metal to metal and I felt comfortable that I would not have any issues reinserting the screws and maintaining a tight fit. After making the adjustment, all parts seem tight and secure.

Roy you were correct, it was probably a 10 minute fix, however being new to these large scale models in general, and DeAg in particular, I went slow, took my time, and tried to keep it all organized in my mind. All in all it took me about 45 minutes once I picked up the screwdriver. I think now I am going to relax a bit and go work on my final wheel assembly.

Thanks again guys...

Slimguy
roymattblack
#13 Posted : 04 October 2020 09:17:49

I'm glad you got it sorted.
I'm sure that if you are anything like me, a wonky steering wheel in the future would have driven you potty.

LOL LOL LOL
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 04 October 2020 13:26:41

Having acquainted myself with the instructions again for the first time in ages, I have now found the cure for the steering wheel alignment problem.

A complete point by point instruction can be found in issue 96 when you fit the upper steering column and dashboard.

Apologies for not remembering earlier.Blink Confused

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)