Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Glenn's Yamato Build Log Options
Markwarren
#21 Posted : 03 September 2020 08:09:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work, coming on great.Love

Mark
magpie1832
#22 Posted : 03 September 2020 15:14:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Coming along nicely. Looking well.

Chris 👍
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Glennard
#23 Posted : 15 September 2020 17:44:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have made more progress, the hull has been painted but I'm leaving the covers on hull for the time being while I add some deck detail.

I have added all the parts to the bow section and I'm currently adding some parts to the stern section. Pictures of the bow section added to this post.
Glennard attached the following image(s):
0065.jpg
0066.jpg
Current WIP: IJN Yamato
Completed builds: Scottish Maid, HMS Victory (Caldercraft) & HM Sloop Brig Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Web: https://modelshipworld.c...-model-space-1250-scale/
Glennard
#24 Posted : 16 September 2020 14:19:59

Today I fitted the turntables and tracks to the stern section. It was a tricky task to straighten the copper wire provided for the tracks (it was supplied coiled). I painted the track and turntables metalwork black. I will continue to add the remaining parts to the stern section before I start the deck planking.

I have also added a profile picture to show the actual size of the model.
File Attachment(s):
0066.jpg (272kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
0067.jpg
Completed builds: Scottish Maid, HMS Victory (Caldercraft) & HM Sloop Brig Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Glennard
#25 Posted : 18 September 2020 12:31:25

I have continued to work on the stern section and things are progressing nicely. The main gun shown is only dry fitted as it will need the rails adding and painting before it is fixed in place.

I will start to add the deck planking next.
File Attachment(s):
0068.jpg (263kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
0067.jpg

Glennard
#26 Posted : 23 September 2020 17:42:59

I have completed the planking of the deck and I have added some coats of flat clear varnish. I might add some weathering details at a later stage.

I have now started to add some of the deck details. I plan to work from bow to stern when adding the deck items, guns, superstructure, etc.
0073.jpg

birdaj2
#27 Posted : 23 September 2020 21:15:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work on your model.

It looks quite a difficult one to do but you have mastered it.

Coiled wire has to be the biggest pain ever. So many companies supply it this way.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Glennard
#28 Posted : 25 September 2020 22:06:46

I have now built the 3 main and 2 secondary guns. This completes all the main super structures for the deck.

I thought I would dry fit the items on the deck to get a sense of what the final build will look like.

Tomorrow it will be a case of painting the main and secondary gun assemblies and adding the gun deck railings.
File Attachment(s):
0075.jpg (261kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
0076.jpg (280kb) downloaded 21 time(s).

Glennard
#29 Posted : 27 September 2020 16:35:37

Today I was mostly building anti aircraft guns, 34 in total. It was a bit of a tedious task, and I found it very fiddley cutting and fitting the 102 gun barrels, each 5mm long.
File Attachment(s):
0077 Guns.jpg (307kb) downloaded 21 time(s).

Glennard
#30 Posted : 02 October 2020 13:01:48

I have completed all the work on the three main guns and 2 secondary guns. I have completed the manufacture of all the additional anti aircraft guns, some will require painting and then can be fitted to the deck.

I still have a few small items which can now be glued to the deck. Once I have completed the main antenna build all the work on the superstructures will be complete

After that I have the stern mast antenna's and the two aircrafts launch catapults.

Finally I will have the deck railings to add and fingers crossed the model will be complete, hopefully by the end of the October.

I have added a couple of pictures of the progress to date, noting than that superstructures and deck items and not secured in place at the moment.
File Attachment(s):
0078.jpg (288kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
0079.jpg

delboy271155
#31 Posted : 02 October 2020 13:20:57

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Wow this is going full steam ahead and looking good.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Well done.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Glennard
#32 Posted : 06 October 2020 20:01:07

I have finally completed IJN Yamato.

In my opinion the die cast parts were not the best quality and I did spend quite a bit of time rectifying manufacturing defects which was quite a chore at times. The build instructions were very basic and the supporting build photos did not really help. That said I am happy with the end result.

My next project will be a Mississippi Steamboat, the Robert E Lee.

birdaj2
#33 Posted : 06 October 2020 20:35:03

Well i must say you made a fantastic job of completing this.

I found it interesting to learn that many of the parts i thought were plastic mouldings (like the hachette bismarck) are metal castings.

I bet that adds a fair amount of weight to the model.

Very neatly finished though and you can certainly give yourself credit for that.

Your next build sounds interesting, i love the look of the old steamboats.

Hope your next build goes well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#34 Posted : 06 October 2020 22:05:32

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Even with the few issues you have a completed build.

Cool Cool Cool

Go to the link below and start a new topic, in which post a few pics of your completed build.

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=topics&f=100

We love seeing a few pics of completed builds.Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"