Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Copper Plate Recommendations Options
Hawke1442
#1 Posted : 08 October 2020 11:29:38

Groups: Registered

Hi All,

With the start of my Conny build imminent, I was looking at options to add in extra levels of detail. One of the thing I've not been able to find is a suitable source of copper plates for the USS Constitution 1:76 scale. I know Model Shipyards produce these for their kit, but has anyone found anything that they wouldn't mind sharing? BigGrin

Cheers,

Adam
Gandale
#2 Posted : 08 October 2020 11:36:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You may like to consider using copper tape... Haven't used it myself but some builders have had good results using this method....

Regards

Alan
Hawke1442
#3 Posted : 08 October 2020 13:42:41

Thanks, I'll be sure to take a look at that. I'm also wondering whether at the 1:76 scale the nail imprints would work or better to leave them out Confused
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 08 October 2020 13:51:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi,

In my opinion the nail/rivet marks which ever you care to call them look good.

Should you wish to go that route I can recommend the Trumpeter rivet marker set that gives you four scale options in one. I used one on the DC3 build I did some years ago and it worked a treat.

I have posted a link to just one seller, but you may find it cheaper elsewhere

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...c129:g:KLIAAOSwhbZfAwZf

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

mogwai
#5 Posted : 08 October 2020 15:41:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi another option is caldercraft do plates at 1/72 scale very little difference in scales can be bought at cornwall models boats at £3 per hundred ,I used there 1/64 scale on my victory, and to be honest the difference in scales does not really show.cheers mick.
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Plymouth57
#6 Posted : 08 October 2020 15:45:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'd have to agree with Derek, my DelPrado Victory is 1/100 scale but I still put the nails on and it looked fine. I've since got that same Trumpeter Pounce wheel set but at the time I did the copper tape I hadn't even heard of a 'Pounce Wheel'!Blushing I used a circular saw blade for a Dremel type tool and rolled that along the reverse of the copper strip holding it by the shank!
Those were the days!BigGrin

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Hawke1442
#7 Posted : 08 October 2020 15:50:31

Yes, that's a great suggestion, I was thinking I'd have to rig up a roller jib, but that would do superbly.

Also the suggestion of the Cornwall Model plates is great. Lots of options to think over.
Plymouth57
#8 Posted : 08 October 2020 20:54:09

Thinking back on it, I made up a measuring 'jig' to inscribe vertically into the copper side of the strip to mark out the individual tiles and then used a steel rule on the reverse side, just inside the edge of the strip and ran the saw blade along that to give the long edge nails. Then just had to roll it along each side of the impressed 'join'. I did them in about six inch lengths, it was easier to apply in short sections!
There's a photo of the procedure in my Victory diary, can't remember exactly where but must be close to the start I think
(Just checked, its Post 14 on Page 1)- Knew it was somewhere near the start!BigGrin

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1