Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Green Carbon Fibre Decals Options
Wardie
#1 Posted : 30 October 2020 19:44:05

Groups: Registered

I've noticed that a number of the models that I have seen have had their carbon fibre decals turn green over time. Is there anything one can do to avoid this other than keeping the model in a dark cupboard?
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 30 October 2020 20:06:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

This was mentioned several times quite a few years ago.
I don't think there is a fix other than applying new decals.
Contact C/S to see if you can get a new set.
Wardie
#3 Posted : 30 October 2020 20:09:41

Thanks a million for your quick reply! I assume then that the new ones over time will go green as well.... I'm busy building the kit now and feel that it might be prudent to leave the carbon fibre decals off and just stay with the metal finish as is....
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 30 October 2020 20:43:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Wardie, BigGrin

Unfortunately I don`t know where in the world you are.Blink

So, as a general thought what kind of display cover do you intend using. If you turn toward making your own, then it is possible that you could use a UV blocking Polycarbonate sheet material as I`m assuming that its UV light causing the colour change issue.

If the UV blocking causes a dulling effect inside the case, Then very small up-lighting is available to brighten it up.

To give you an idea of the Polycarbonate I`m talking about (available in different thicknesses), the link below will take you to a UK site to show what you could use. If not in the UK it will give you the basis of a search to find what you need locally.

https://www.plasticsheet...ar-polycarbonate-sheet/

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Stupot
#5 Posted : 30 October 2020 20:46:32

Hi, I built this model a couple of years ago & to be honest you don't really notice the slight green to the decals. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to stop this. Stuart.
Wardie
#6 Posted : 31 October 2020 05:22:55

Hi Derek, thanks for your input, much appreciated! I will definitely look into that UV blocking Polycarbonate sheet material that you suggest. I am in South Africa so I will have to find a local supplier but that should not be a problem I am sure. I have attached a picture of one of the cars that I have seen on you tube, it is quite unbelievable how green the suspension has gone.... apparently it was ten years old and I assume in the sun most of the time!
Wardie
#7 Posted : 31 October 2020 05:25:07

File Attachment(s):
4306297F-C911-4964-B347-A525808AFC1B.JPG (469kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
Andreas
#8 Posted : 31 October 2020 07:24:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

Hi Wardie

it is not a problem to correct that. I have been working with Water transfer printing process for over ten years now. I have processed a large number of components with this process. All the components on my Modells i changed the surfaces look just as good today as they did the day I made them. My models are also driven and used. Are then cleaned and my carbon pattern is always retained. I have posted a topic about "Working with Water Transfer Printing" in the forum under "Model Making Know-How".

You need the decor foil for this process, this foil is available in hundreds of different patterns, in this case Carbon.
Ingredients
Decor foil, activator spray, Paper tape, Water tub with 30 degrees warm water, rubber gloves.Stop watch.

The gloves for a good reason, if you dip the parts in the water tub without gloves, then good night. The pattern penetrates into all pores of your skin and you can only get it off with great pain when roughing. If that's on it, it's on. I made this experience myself years ago, so always wear gloves!

I know the sun in South Africa, almost every year I visit my brother who lives in Brits.
I edited his models in the same way. The pictures show his RB 7 from Sebastian Vettel. This mdell has been around for a number of years now. Years ago I treated a lot of the car parts with carbon optic water transfer printing. the carbon has been preserved to this day, even under the sun from SA. I can't say whether this exists in South Africa, maybe use "google" as a help.

Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/
Wardie
#9 Posted : 31 October 2020 09:45:41

Hi Andreas, thanks a million for that info, I'll certainly do my research. That's the beauty of our hobby, always learning, I'll go over your topic in the forum.... thanks again!