Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Andover Options
Andover
#1 Posted : 27 October 2020 19:02:19

Groups: Registered

Shipbuilder Virgin

Hello Gentlemen (and Ladies)
As a complete shipbuilding virgin, I like to ask the forum for suggestions.

I’d like to try my hand at building a ship but don’t want to spend too much in case it goes pear-shaped.
I have spotted Sultan Arab Dhow 1:60 and Virginia Schooner 1:41 which are in my initial budget but are sadly are out of stock.
I’m considering the Swift 1805 1:50 which appears to be in stock.

Can anyone recommend any other products etc
Cheers Chris (Andover)
Chris (Andover)

Eaglemoss Aston Martin "Goldfinger" DB5 (modified)
De Ag MacLaren MP4-23
Pocher Ducati Panigale 1299
De Ag Jaguar E Type Series 1 (modified)
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 27 October 2020 19:28:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

The swift was my first ship build and it got me hooked on wooden ship building. There are lots of really talented ship modelers on the forum to help you if you have questions.Good luck with your choice of build.

Carl

Andover
#3 Posted : 27 October 2020 20:45:27

Thanks Carl,

That's the sort of answer I was hoping for, I would have preferred to try the Dhow but I'm going to have a go at the Swift.

Cheers Chris
Chris (Andover)

De Ag MacLaren MP4-23
tf64
#4 Posted : 27 October 2020 23:01:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris,

The Bremen sold through De-Ago this is an easy build that covers all aspects with good instructions

Length: 400 mm
Height: 330 mm

2. You could try ( HMS Victory Cross Section) this build will cover everthing you need to know about shipbuilding but in a small way,and give you the skills for bigger builds and not get fed up.

Hope this helps

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Andover
#5 Posted : 27 October 2020 23:24:06

Thanks Trev,

I'll take it "onboard" (excuse the pun) that's the sort of thing I want to cut my teeth on, relatively simple but will stretch my abilities.

Cheers Chris
Chris (Andover)

De Ag MacLaren MP4-23
birdaj2
#6 Posted : 27 October 2020 23:29:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris.

Nice to have you on the forum and hope you get a lot from belonging.

The swift is probable a better choice of starter kit. As you say price wise its well priced.

I also like the fact you get the option to paint the hull so if your first planking efforts are not to the level you would like, filler and paint will resolve that. And you have also learnt some new skills and techniques along the way.

You can get similar kits in terms of price but in many of these you would find the build guides very lacking and in some manufacturers kits, would be working more from plans.

Hope you find something you like and share your progress with us here on the forum.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
RM1
#7 Posted : 28 October 2020 07:03:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris , welcome to the Forum.
I'm not a shipbuilder but I know that there's great advice to be found here. Looking forward to you starting the build diary. Good luck. BigGrin
Malc.
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 28 October 2020 10:00:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. Whatever your choice, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Mark
roymattblack
#9 Posted : 28 October 2020 13:08:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Welcome to the mad house Chris.
Whatever kit you choose, there are LOADS of very talented ship builders here to offer help and advice.

Roy.
CaptnBirdseye
#10 Posted : 28 October 2020 14:09:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris
Another option might be the Victory Cross-Section. Although it would cost a little more, it looks better value for money. And if you look at who's actually made it in the reviews, those are two of the best boat builders should you need help.

Just my thoughts ThumpUp

Regards
Gray
Andover
#11 Posted : 28 October 2020 18:29:29

Thanks Gray.

And thanks again to everyone's suggestions and support.

I have plumped for the Swift 1805 as a starter kit I really wanted a vessel with sails but the Victory cross section does look interesting.

When I receive it and start I will post a build diary more to encourage members who like me haven't tackled a ship; rather than experienced marine builders.

Cheers Chris (Andover)
Chris (Andover)

De Ag MacLaren MP4-23
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 28 October 2020 19:01:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Sounds like a plan...
Mind you, I'm a car builder through and through but that Victory cross section is tempting even me...LOL
delboy271155
#13 Posted : 28 October 2020 19:29:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Chris, BigGrin

Firstly welcome to the forum. Cool Cool

I won`t add to your list of options as I think you already have enough to choose from, also I`m not a master ship builder.

I wish you well with what ever kit you choose and if you have a question just ask, there`s lots of very helpful people on here willing and able to assist.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tf64
#14 Posted : 28 October 2020 22:53:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck with the Swift looking forward to your first post

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

goddo
#15 Posted : 29 October 2020 18:02:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Chris,
As others have said, welcome to the forum.
There are always people on here willing to help with any queries you may have.
Good luck with the Swift. It's a great starter model.
Chris.
magpie1832
#16 Posted : 31 October 2020 17:35:13

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend the cross section. It build very well and looks awesome when done. Nothing on it is too complicated but does help in honing your skills ready for bigger kits.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.