Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-Q5 - a "new" member in the family Options
Andreas
#1 Posted : 18 December 2020 10:50:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

Hi everybody

I just can't take my hands off this fellow BigGrin. So I'll build another one. This time an R2-Q5, also known as a spy and maintenance robot. There is some painting work to be done here, although there are only 3 colors. So far, all components for the dome are prepared. Rest will follow. I also want to add some mods, including a new soundboard. R2-Q5 differs from the R2D2 in terms of the soundboard. This chapter is also in progress.
I'm still looking for a suitable blaster weapon, which is also part of his equipment.
The serving tray will also follow by 3d print. If he already lives with us later, he should also make himself useful.BigGrin

Still a long way to go, but there is enough time in our current situation

Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 19 December 2020 10:27:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to seeing this Andreas.Cool I did think about doing the same a year ago making R2-Q5 but the picture below is as far as I got.Crying
Mark
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
photo 19-12-2020, 9 22 39 am.jpg
Andreas
#3 Posted : 19 December 2020 12:13:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

Yes Mark I love this model.could build it again and again.BigGrin
Now I'm trying the R2-Q5.
Half done!
I did some research on the material beforehand. Simply painting is not. If you are unlucky the paint will peel off. The ABS parts have all been pre-treated with plastic primer. The same with the dome and the other attachments. So far everything has gone really well. It's just a shame that I don't have a picture of the back. I don't know now whether there are copper parts there too.

Forum Support Team
admin
#4 Posted : 20 December 2020 07:17:36

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Andreas!

You are busy, and I’m glad to see that.

The sphero folks made a R2-Q5 droid, and as I remember, it was accurate. Message me, and I’ll take pics.

Stay well!

Mark
skyfire
#5 Posted : 20 December 2020 09:09:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This image has two partial views of the rear of R2-Q5 and shows a bit of copper on the back. :)

https://thefunnybeaver.c...ploads/2018/04/R2-Q5.jpg
Andreas
#6 Posted : 20 December 2020 11:44:04

admin wrote:
Hi Andreas!

You are busy, and I’m glad to see that.

The sphero folks made a R2-Q5 droid, and as I remember, it was accurate. Message me, and I’ll take pics.

Stay well!

Mark

Thanks, Mark, skyfire for your help. I looked at the little R2-Q5 here on the Model Space page, but unfortunately there are no pictures from the rear of the R2-Q5. Mark can you make some pics?

So far, what has to be painted black is done. Assembling is of course completely different now. You cannot now process issue by issue in sequence here. Comes because of the paint job. Each part must first be checked to see whether it needs to be painted. But so far everything is ok. But have to stop, no more material. With the new lockdown, all hardware stores are closed. Only entrepreneurs are allowed in, but I have a friend who will bring me material next week.

But so far I'm happy with the result.

Stay healthy guys!!!

Forum Support Team
Andreas
#7 Posted : 23 December 2020 12:29:56

Now all components are completely painted.
Thanks, Mark, for the reverenz pictures.

Now the assembly can slowly begin

Forum Support Team
Andreas
#8 Posted : 27 December 2020 09:50:27

Finally, all components are fully painted. Now wait until the first mods are delivered, then the R2Q5 will be assembled step by step

Forum Support Team
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 27 December 2020 12:27:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You’ve done a fabulous job Andreas, Looking forward to the mods you have.Love Love

Mark
Andreas
#10 Posted : 28 December 2020 09:03:25

Markwarren wrote:
You’ve done a fabulous job Andreas, Looking forward to the mods you have.Love Love

Mark

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it very muchBigGrin .

Now I have temporarily assembled the R2-Q5.
I think he's doing quite well. I would like to first test the R2-Q5 for its functions. The Accus are charging, as is well known, a long procedure. The modifications will not interfere with the initial start-up, they have their own power supply

Forum Support Team
Sparky1962
#11 Posted : 29 December 2020 09:44:31

Groups: Registered

morning all,
i think that model space need to get a few more full kit R2-D2 models as i can see other modelers (me included £ permitting) would want to make other variants.
Happy New Year & a better 2021.
stay safe
Sparky1962
Andreas
#12 Posted : 29 December 2020 10:36:31

Batteries were all charged yesterday so the test came. Batteries were activated, and just like the first R2D2, the R2Q5 did exactly what it should with no problems. Now I can start my modifications.

Forum Support Team
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 29 December 2020 18:14:18

Nice work Andreas. Just don’t leave them in a room together.LOL LOL

Mark
darbyvet
#14 Posted : 29 December 2020 18:17:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

looks fantastic and that ferrari in the background is awesome too.

Carl