Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Paint Options
dandare
#1 Posted : 05 July 2011 08:24:23

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all
This is probably a question that's been asked before but does anyone know the exact colour for the McLaren, as I need to do some touch ups on the nose front wing fixing plates Confused
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
Warthog
#2 Posted : 05 July 2011 10:13:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

First of all are you going to use a brush to do the touch up? The closest I can suggest for small areas like you mention is to use an Edding silver paint marker.. use it at the very end though as its liable to wipe off if constantly being touched by fingers..

Spencer
dandare
#3 Posted : 05 July 2011 19:03:06

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Warthog

Thanks for the response.
I need to airbrush in the front wing plates as I did not like the join line so done a little sanding to flush them up.
I was intending to mask and blow in from the nose cone down

Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Warthog
#4 Posted : 05 July 2011 19:15:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dan ( I presume its Dan?)

Then I would suggest using Alclad2 Chrome if your going to use an Airbrush.. look up some of the real pictures of the car and you will see that it shows a high chrome finish..

Here's a picture for Ref: MP4-23
dandare
#5 Posted : 06 July 2011 08:19:55

Hi Warthog

yep it is Dan
thank you very much
I will hopefully be able to blend in the nose/wing struts.
very much appreciated

regards
BigGrin
dandare
#6 Posted : 10 September 2011 21:43:29

Hi Warthog

really sorry to bother you but im having a little trouble
i finally managed to get some Alclad 2 chrome after everyones stocks had run out.
ive painted a gloss black base as suggested, then over painted with the chrome! however the chrome finish has come out Flat?
have i missed something? do i need to finish it off with a lacquer? or do i just need to give it a polish.

really hope you can help
Austin
#7 Posted : 10 September 2011 23:49:59

Groups:

Dan I think you should look at warthogs post on his build, well worth a gander.
Warthog
#8 Posted : 11 September 2011 17:45:51

dandare wrote:
Hi Warthog

really sorry to bother you but im having a little trouble
i finally managed to get some Alclad 2 chrome after everyones stocks had run out.
ive painted a gloss black base as suggested, then over painted with the chrome! however the chrome finish has come out Flat?
have i missed something? do i need to finish it off with a lacquer? or do i just need to give it a polish.

really hope you can help

Hi Dan,

When using the Alclad2 Chrome you must make sure that the base coat (black gloss) is polished or give a coat of lacquer then polish it with t-cut or something similar.. Make sure you have given the bottle a good shake (at least a minute) and that your compressor is set to 15-20 psi... just lightly go over the areaa being done because if you keep it on one area and try to cover it all in one go the you will get a "frosting" effect or "matt" effect which is probably what your getting..

Hope this helps mate.. any problems just ask..

Spence
dandare
#9 Posted : 12 September 2011 08:15:39

Hi Spence

thanks for replying
will give it another go, hopefully i can get a better finish.

thank you
dan
bigmal0
#10 Posted : 15 September 2011 20:24:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi
Alclad ii Chrome must be sprayed over ENAMEL and when thats dry then apply chrome lightly in 2 coats. You will find it works fine.
Tony