Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Pocher kits Options
Mustang
#21 Posted : 16 February 2020 22:48:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

darbyvet wrote:
Well that sucks.Can you at least part it out and get some money back from it?

Carl

Gooood news, it looks like I've managed to get all the bits I needed for this to go ahead be it a couple of bits that I can make of replace with something else.

Thanks to everyone that helped with info and advise Smile
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -
Current Build - Below Decks - https://forum.model-spac...sts&m=339187#339187 -

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
Mustang
#22 Posted : 16 February 2020 22:49:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm not sure what a good price is for these kits secondhand, as I got all three together in a deal, but the Alfa I got was £100 and then getting the missing bits has cost me just over £200 so a complete kit for £300 is that good or bad Confused

I've been spending time also stripping down the wheels as the previous owner had painted the cream and they looked horrible so the metal bits have all been cleaned, but the plastic bits still need doing, but I'm not sure what I can safely use on this plastic and I'm worried about it attacking the plastic.

The metal bits was easy I just soaked them in carb cleaner for acouple of minutes and dab with a paintbrush and the paint just peeled off.

The next issue I have is what colour to do it in, I'm not keen on the cream and blue look. And was looking at a silver body with mid blue wings and black chassis with a blue stripe running along the body where the lip is.

Then the wheels keep them clean and metal or paint them black with silver break covers.

Anyway I've got time to think or for you all to give some info on colours, as I've got to finish my 1/32 Matchbox Puma firstBlink

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
darbyvet
#23 Posted : 17 February 2020 15:04:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

IDK about UK but $400 for a pocehr alfa is a pretty good deal.They go for anywhere from $600-$1500 on ebay over here-less if they are started.

I use easy off oven cleaner to clean the paint off plastic.Not sure what the UK alternative for this is.

Carl
Kev the Modeller
#24 Posted : 17 February 2020 15:29:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Mustang wrote:
….. the plastic bits still need doing, but I'm not sure what I can safely use on this plastic and I'm worried about it attacking the plastic.

Hello Ian,

I use 'Mr Muscle' Oven Cleaner, which comes in the orange aerosol can. I've used it to strip paint AND the chrome off those horribly bright chrome sprues that kit manufacturers supply. Just pop the bits in an ice cream tub or similar (with a close fitting lid) completely cover the parts in the stuff which will expand into a very foamy covering then pop on the lid and leave for a few hours. Eventually the foam will render down into a gloopy liquid consistency as it continues to work. Keep checking the progress and add more oven cleaner if necessary, then when done wash all of the parts in warm, very soapy water with something like 'Fairy Liquid' detergent. Use rubber gloves though as it's not nice stuff and makes your fingers feel slimy if you don't.

If you're worried about it attacking the plastic, just try a small area with a paint brush where any damage will be hidden if it goes wrong, or if you have any parts of a sprue left in your kit just spray some on that and see what happens? I've never known it to attack any of the main types of plastic used in model kits though.

Hope that helps.

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Mustang
#25 Posted : 20 February 2020 21:34:22

Hi guys, thanks for the info I tried the over cleaner but unfortunately it didn't shift the paint. So I tried some nail polish remover that helped th remove the paint but started to attack the plastic so that's not really a good option.

Will have to look at something else ?

Coming Soon -

Metal Mech
#26 Posted : 20 February 2020 22:30:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mustang wrote:
Hi guys, thanks for the info I tried the over cleaner but unfortunately it didn't shift the paint. So I tried some nail polish remover that helped th remove the paint but started to attack the plastic so that's not really a good option.

Are you trying to remove chrome from plastic?
I have learned from a gaming group that makes moddifed hotwheels that the best way to strip chrome from plastic without damaging the plastic is bleach.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
darbyvet
#27 Posted : 20 February 2020 22:34:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Mustang wrote:

Sometimes you need several applications of the oven cleaner to get the paint to lift off.it took multiple applications to get the chrome off my deag mustang air filter housing

Carl
Metal Mech
#28 Posted : 20 February 2020 22:58:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Video for proof
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m3pP3RhXKI0

DeAgostini kit builds:

Mustang
#29 Posted : 21 February 2020 11:25:28

Cheers guys.

The kit was original painted in the 70's, so I presume the paint is either car spray can or enamel based pot paint. The parts I'm trying to get the paint off is plastic no chrome parts.

I used to have some paste which was pink, all you had to do was cover the painted area leave for a couple of hours and wash off, but I can't remember what it was called or who made it.

I'll give the bleach ago and try again with the over cleaner if not then it will have to be very fine sandpaper and gentle sanding the parts.

Coming Soon -

roymattblack
#30 Posted : 21 February 2020 11:34:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I don't think bleach will touch paint on plastic but I may be wrong.
It definitely removes the 'chrome' plating on kit parts though.

I've read about the oven cleaner trick but TBH, you have a really old Pocher kit and Pocher plastics were pretty notorious at the best of times. Damaging the plastic could be a real problem.

If it was me, I'd just go down the sanding route for safety's sake.
Slow, laborious, but controllable.

Roy.
Mustang
#31 Posted : 21 February 2020 11:41:12

Cheers Roy, your the expert when it comes to these models so sanding looks like the best way.

Coming Soon -

Metal Mech
#32 Posted : 21 February 2020 12:26:53

Yeah I don’t know about paint and bleach. I just kept seeing people talk about chrome so wanted to put that info out there.

DeAgostini kit builds:

darbyvet
#33 Posted : 21 February 2020 16:13:21

I have stripped paint off pocher cars with oven cleaner and not had any issues with damaging the plastic, but I agree with Roy Pocher plastic is a bit weird to work with.Sometimes it is really soft and sometimes it is really brittle.

Carl

Mustang
#34 Posted : 15 March 2020 21:31:36

Well I must be mad Razz just made an offer for two part built kits and got them.

So that now means I have one complete Alfa in bits

One chassis and two half built cars, Confused so hoping to be able to get another complete kit from these and then possible resell all the bits I don't need.

Coming Soon -

Mustang
#35 Posted : 15 March 2020 21:33:20

The Roll's and the Merc have been stripped and I just need to find the bits I was missing from them and then hopefully I'll have them complete.

Coming Soon -

Mustang
#36 Posted : 12 February 2021 23:43:00

Sorry guys just realised that I’ve not update you all on what happened.

So the

1st Alfa is stripped and complete
2nd is also stripped and complete
3rd is also stripped and complete

Rolls is stripped and complete

Merc is stripped and complete and all paint work removed, ended up using break fluid.

So at some point I need to start looking at build these Cursing

Coming Soon -

Kev the Modeller
#37 Posted : 13 February 2021 13:00:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sounds like you have a nice collection of Pocher kits to put back together Ian? It would be nice to see some much needed build diaries for them on the forum and I for one would follow them.

Good luck with the rebuilds. Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra