Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages 123>»
Tombstone Arizona. Options
tf64
#1 Posted : 22 February 2021 15:13:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

When I started my Stagecoach build it was my intention to try and scratch build some kind of diorama in the way of a wild western town, this will be a challenge for me as the scale of the coach is (1:10 to the scale of the town will be about (1:75 as for the photography yet another challenge. I will call the town Tombstone.

So what will I need to start the build.

Birchwood 1,000 (coffee stirrers) 1:40mm x1.5mm x 5mm all buildings and extra bits will be made from this.

Cardboard 0.28 thick this will be for the design and backing for the large builds.

Titebond wood glue.

Small amount of rope.

Wooden dowel turned to 2mm,4mm,6mm this will be used for odd stuff.

4mm Plyboard.

Brass rod (solid)1.5mm and 2mm.

Alloy tubing 4.5mm/5.5mm.

Tin cut from beer cans.

Graph paper for keeping to scale 4mm = 1 foot.

This will give me a start.

How will I make them, first have a look at a western town on the internet and decide what I want to build ie Saloon-jail- stable-etc, then draw it out on graph paper or card then stick the Birchwood over the drawing wait for it to dry then remove graph paper or cardboard from the back and assemble, next you have to use your imagination as to what you feel looks the part, all of the towns will be scratch from wood I have leftover from lots of other builds.

Photo's to follow.

Regards

Trev

Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 22 February 2021 17:19:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

OhMyGod If this turns out anything like as well as your Stagecoach we are in for a treat ThumpUp

Regards
Gray
tf64
#3 Posted : 22 February 2021 18:51:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gray,

Thanks for looking in and your comments,the Stagecoach build is well on the way to completion so I have started on the Tombstone build and have watch a few westerns to get a picture in mind of what I intend to build.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

tf64
#4 Posted : 22 February 2021 20:09:22

Tombstone:Update.

First this is what I will need to start.

SALOON. 1.75scale.

This photo shows how I started with a drawing then transferred to graph paper to try and keep to scale.

This shows the rest of the Saloon build.

More soon.

Regards

Trev

Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

nightwisher
#5 Posted : 22 February 2021 22:29:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now this looks like a whole of load of fun ,great start
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Kev the Modeller
#6 Posted : 22 February 2021 22:35:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That is an excellent start to 'Tombstone' Trev, a very convincing design and the front facade of the saloon looks exactly like the ones you see in the western movies. Just needs a rowdy cowpoke to come flying backwards through the swing doors and the sound of someone tinkling the piano ivories and the illusion will be complete!

I too am a 'Wild West' fan so I'll be following the build of your lawless township with great interest.

Well done Trev, looking good so far! Drool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tf64
#7 Posted : 22 February 2021 23:34:14

Hi Nightwisher,

Yes, you are correct it is great fun on this build, you can make mistakes drop parts on the floor and it still looks like a western town when assembled.

Thanks for looking.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

tf64
#8 Posted : 22 February 2021 23:43:51

Hi Kev.

Good to hear from you and thank you for looking in at the new build, I really don't know how it will turn out but I have lot's of idea's next will be a Water Tank built on a tower with lots of extra's.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Markwarren
#9 Posted : 23 February 2021 09:45:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Trev. I can here the piano already. I too am a western fan so will be following.

Mark
tf64
#10 Posted : 23 February 2021 13:22:41

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments, I know that when I scratch build I can see where I am going with the parts and I can feel if it is right or wrong and that's modeling to me.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

delboy271155
#11 Posted : 23 February 2021 19:34:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent scratch building Trev.

Very impressive. Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#12 Posted : 24 February 2021 00:38:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Can see this is going to be a lot of fun to follow, especially if the build continues in the same way as the start..... Excellent work Trev.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#13 Posted : 24 February 2021 11:11:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Trev,
This is fantastic!!! I can hear the batwing doors creaking and the jingle of spursLOL LOL LOL
Will definitely be following.
I grew up watching westerns, Bonanza, Shane, High Chaparral etc. etc.
Just finished reading Reilly's Luck by Louis L'Amour.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
tf64
#14 Posted : 25 February 2021 16:49:46

Hi Derek,

Thanks for looking at my post and your comments more soon.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

tf64
#15 Posted : 25 February 2021 16:53:30

Hi Alan,

I need to ask how to set up a link to my Stagecoach build, or will it have to be set by the forum?

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

tf64
#16 Posted : 25 February 2021 16:56:09

Hi Garth,

Thanks for your kind words regarding my Tombstone build it has been great for me to scratch and there are a lot more to come.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Gandale
#17 Posted : 26 February 2021 01:02:38

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

tf64 wrote:
Hi Alan,

I need to ask how to set up a link to my Stagecoach build, or will it have to be set by the forum?

Regards

Trev

Hi Trev, have just sent you a PM.....

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#18 Posted : 26 February 2021 02:31:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

That looks really authentic.Following this with great interest.

Carl

tf64
#19 Posted : 26 February 2021 12:45:34

Hi Carl,

Thanks for posting, I will be posting again I have built a water tower and pump shed as in the 1858 wild west all scratch with lot's of the turned wood bit's should be interesting.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

tf64
#20 Posted : 18 March 2021 15:42:01

UPDATE: Water Tower

Hi all, hope you are safe and keeping well.

This update will be in two parts first will be a Bean Can Water Tower, and the second part Pump house and shed all from coffee stirrers also cardboard will be used and brass rod. I have searched the internet for pictures and information to get me started. All are drawn on graph paper to try to keep to scale.

First Picture shows a small Bean can you know the one (blue) then the stirrers are cut to length and then stuck to the sides.

Next I needed Tin strips to go around the can to look like they were holding it all together,found a beer and then cut into strips,then stuck to the wood and pinned with old Victory left over's.

Now to build a roof, this was made from a cardboard carton found in the wast bin,this roof will be covered with wood stirrers and stained.

Now to build a strong base for the water tank,I had to make it look good so I stuck a load of stirrers together and made the base.

Next was to make the outlet pipe, this will have more added to it as time goes on, but I thought I would show you it.

Well next will be the Tower and Pump House nearly finish it (wont be long)

Regards

Trev the scratch.

Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2