Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
1:200 Bismarck - Going the weathered route... Options
S4Simon
#1 Posted : 11 March 2021 12:28:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I couldn't bring myself to building a clean (straight out of the shipyard) Bismarck battleship. So have decided to try and indulge in a slightly weathered option.

Not an easy thing to do as I haven't seen anyone else who has chosen to follow the dark side. Anyway I'm having a lot of fun learning, as it's my first time weathering a battleship.

First pass last weekend working on the hull - mainly oil paints, and working the superstructure and deck with a light black wash.

What I have found is that the light black wash really brings out the rivet detail on the guns.

BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 11 March 2021 14:48:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin what a cracking job you’ve made of here too! I particularly like the black and white shot. Sort of gives a feeling of the era ThumpUp You’ve certainly chosen a big enough scale to practice on, but well done.

Regards Gray
Silent_Running
#3 Posted : 11 March 2021 15:03:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

What a cracker that bissy is, l second the black and white photo, could we have some more pics in b&w please? Also what’s that other big beast behind it Cool
Gandale
#4 Posted : 11 March 2021 16:22:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Stunning job and thanks for sharing....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
S4Simon
#5 Posted : 12 March 2021 09:36:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Silent_Running wrote:
What a cracker that bissy is, l second the black and white photo, could we have some more pics in b&w please? Also what’s that other big beast behind it Cool

Tamiya 1/350 New Jersey. Built some 15+ years ago in my youth (40’s). :-)

More work to do this weekend. I’ll add some more historical looking BW photos then.

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
magpie1832
#6 Posted : 12 March 2021 12:21:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great job on the weathering. Looks awesome.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Silent_Running
#7 Posted : 12 March 2021 22:09:25

S4Simon wrote:
Silent_Running wrote:

More work to do this weekend. I’ll add some more historical looking BW photos then.

Hi Simon,
How heavy is the Bismarck as it has an all metal hull. 😃
(Sorry I meant the model of course) LOL
S4Simon
#8 Posted : 13 March 2021 04:16:19

Silent_Running wrote:
S4Simon wrote:
Silent_Running wrote:

Hi Simon,
How heavy is the Bismarck as it has an all metal hull. 😃
(Sorry I meant the model of course) LOL

Half way through the build and it comes in at exactly 3.0kg, soooooo around 6kg for the finished model as a rough guestimate.

S4Simon
#9 Posted : 13 March 2021 04:22:56

Some vintage shots.

Markwarren
#10 Posted : 13 March 2021 10:34:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looks superb, the weather is excellent.Love Love

The B&W pictures look great.

Mark
Silent_Running
#11 Posted : 13 March 2021 21:40:08

Wow! Every time I see those pictures in b&w, it’s like the Denmark strait all over again.

I Must admit I getting sorely tempted to get a bissy of my own and it might be this model Drool Drool Drool
S4Simon
#12 Posted : 14 March 2021 01:17:13

This is an epic build. I use to love building battleships back in the 70's, and this build brings back a lot of memories.

Silent_Running
#13 Posted : 14 March 2021 15:20:47

S4Simon wrote:
This is an epic build. I use to love building battleships back in the 70's, and this build brings back a lot of memories.

Hi Simon,

You’re right this is an epic build indeed, please keep those pictures coming, I’m following this one, did you subscribe through Hachette?

Regards
Glenn
S4Simon
#14 Posted : 14 March 2021 23:40:32

Going through the local newsagent. Oz based builder. No problems thus far. :-)

goddo
#15 Posted : 23 April 2021 10:44:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Only just caught up with this build Simon.
Looking fantastic and I love the black and white photos.
Well done, mate.
Chris
Gandale
#16 Posted : 23 April 2021 21:55:57

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great and a real joy to see.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#17 Posted : 24 April 2021 21:51:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

This looks amazing in both colour and black/white.

Well done so far. Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

S4Simon
#18 Posted : 27 April 2021 04:38:12

Thanks for the kind comments. The Oz based builders (including me) are up to installing the first interconnect computer (issue84). Not too happy with the supplied jig. Doesn’t convey much health and safety to the teetering model. So I’ll build a safer workstand this weekend. Which i’ll then modify for when we install the second computer - assuming there will be one for the aft electronics. I just have to dig out my 1980’s wood working skills catalog from my old brain.

S4Simon
#19 Posted : 06 May 2021 04:27:08

Ok - It's time to prep the deck and build a jiggy thing in readiness for part 84.

Gave all the decks a quick brown wash to try and remove the pinkiness. Then spent an hour building a jig to hold the deck securely while I install the interconnect module (this weekend). Built the jig 'Bismarck Never Fail Lock a Deck' - Patent Pending ;-) using offcuts found in the shed. The jig locks in the deck very well, so hopefully no catastrophes.

Markwarren
#20 Posted : 06 May 2021 08:13:48

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work the decking looks so much better.Love

Mark