Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Any advice on how to cut/file a 45 degree chamfer on a 1mm steel sheet to EXACTLY 45 degrees? Options
ship69
#1 Posted : 22 March 2021 14:13:57

Groups: Registered

Hello

I need to put a 45 degree chamfer onto the edge of a 10 x 10 x 1mm piece of mild steel. It needs to be EXACTLY 45°.
Any suggestions?

With thanks

J
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 22 March 2021 14:23:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Hello there.
What model is it for?
I'm sure somebody here will be able to help.
ship69
#3 Posted : 22 March 2021 14:49:48

> What model is it for?
It isn't for a standard model as such. It is just for a novel product idea that I am working on.

I just need to find a way to cut and file by had down to an extreme accuracy. My workshop skills are a bit rusty!

J

admin
#4 Posted : 22 March 2021 15:14:06

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Howdy,

Your best bet is a milling machine. To hand file it to the exact degree, no seconds, by hand? Almost impossible.

Good luck,

Mark
ship69
#5 Posted : 22 March 2021 17:38:31

> Your best bet is a milling machine.

To be completely honest I don't know exactly what you mean by a "milling machine". I guess I'll have to buy something. Please bear in mind that this is for a small home workshop and it would need be fairly compact and to work on a table top.

Does this help? I have a small Proxxon Micromot 50/E Powertool + stand. Fwiw, the powertool is rather under-powered at just 40 Watts and I'll need to cut 1mm thick mild steel.

What about something like this Proxxon 27100 MICRO Compound Table?
http://www.proxtools.com...iewPrd.asp?idproduct=33

Or should I just abandon the Proxxon?

Remember I'm needing to cut 1mm thick steel plate and end up with an accurate 45 degree chamfer.

Either way, I can't quite imagine the best way to make the cut, in order to make a really clean edge. e.g. should I use a spinning abrasive disk? :^/

J

admin
#6 Posted : 22 March 2021 18:31:06

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

A 1/4 or 5mm DIA end mill would do the trick. Your abrasive disk won’t work. They “flutter” under load.

Google or hit Amazon for the Proxxon mills. I have both versions, and love them.

Quality of cut is really dependent on determine the proper cutting speed. (CSx4/D, with CS being determined by the appropriate machinists manual. The formula is for RPM)

Also, to avoid confusion on posts like this, I’ve instituted a new policy. I realize your are working on some nebulous project, and that this doesn’t really apply to you. But, we aren’t really the appropriate forum. A model engineering forum would be FAR better to address your questions.

https://forum.model-spac...=338473&#post338473

Best,

Mark
ship69
#7 Posted : 22 March 2021 21:15:08

> Google or hit Amazon for the Proxxon mills. I have both versions, and love them.

Interesting that you like the Proxxon.
Which versions do you have?
- MICRO miller MF 70 - c. £300
- MICRO miller - FF 230 - c.£1,000
- Miller - FF 500/BL - c. £1,808+VAT

Btw, did you find that the table of the MF 70 seems to be rather poorly engineered, with pretty bad table wobble?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6UwE1qB2I

admin
#8 Posted : 23 March 2021 05:27:43

Hello,

I have this, plus the lathe as one;

https://www.amazon.com/g...title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then the MF-70 as the other. I don’t recall any loose gibs, but if there were, I tightened them up as a matter of set-up. I was a machinist in the US Army for 10 years. (Got my hands dirty for 7, then got stupid and became an NCO)

Best,

Mark