Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

1/350 Space Battleship Yamato 2202 Options
Nytetrain
#1 Posted : 20 February 2021 01:27:34

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I have been collecting this for about a year now and I have almost all the issues except for the extended issues that include another ship called the Andromeda. This particular ship was from an animated cartoon from Japan. Those unfamiliar with this ship it is a spaceship that was built from the sunken hull of the WWII IJN Yamato that was sunk April 7th 1945. The series aired on Yomiuri TV from October 6, 1974 to March 30, 1975, totaling up to 26 episodes. It revolves around the character Susumu Kodai (Derek Wildstar in the English version) and an international crew from Earth, tasked during an interstellar war to go into space aboard the space warship Yamato in response to a message of aid from the planet Iscandar in order to retrieve a device which is able to reverse the radiation infecting Earth after being bombed by the Gamilans.

Many sequels have been made as well as movies and video games. This particular version of the ship is from the sequel Space Battleship Yamato 2202: Warriors of Love

In 2202, three years after the Gamillas invasion of the Solar system, the people in the Solar System are finally at peace. The Earth's biosphere has been restored with the Cosmo Reverse System brought by the Yamato at the end of Space Battleship Yamato 2199. With the end of the war, there is a peace treaty between Earth and Gamillas which will strengthen their military bond and secure true peace. In addition to the reconstruction of Earth, the joint forces form a new intergalactic defense fleet with a new ship, Andromeda, to be its new symbol of power. Earth is set on a path of military expansion despite Starsha Iscandar's wishes of peace, and developing new forms of wave motion gun despite the agreement between Starsha and the crew of the Yamato.

When a new threat called Gatlantis, also known as the White Comet Empire, starts to wreak havoc on a newly reformed galaxy, the goddess Teressa calls upon the Yamato once more in order to fight back against the new threat.

And with that lets get started on the build...

This model has a lot of cool features, the hull is made of white metal and pre-painted in a blue and waterline red. I don't care much for the blue hull sections I will tone it down with weathering and battle damage. The turrets rotate and simulate firing with sound as well as lighting and fiber optics. Since I had to buy this model through a 3rd party I wont get the freebies that the subscription in Japan receives.

Issue 1: The magazines that come with the model are in Japanese so I have no idea what they are about. By looking at the pictures, they talk about the ship and its workings as well as the characters in the series. There are some detailed blueprints in the articles. They also go into some detail about the other ships that are involved in the series. I am going to see if I can translate the magazines to English somehow.

Front cone of the lower section of the hull. I was surprised that I didn't have to force the screws into the metal parts like you have to with most models. The threads are already tapped for the screws.

Upper section of the hull attached to the lower. Went together a breeze and didn't have to used 3 in 1 oil to help cut threads. Might use some thread lock to keep the screws from backing out.

Some nice clean detail printed to the parts.

The other 2 parts for the upper hull are set aside for now. That is the end of this issue. More to come soon...
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
Nytetrain
#2 Posted : 26 February 2021 05:55:18

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here is Issue #2 of 170 of the 1/350 Space Battleship Yamato. I had some problems getting this issue as well as Issue #21. The 3rd party I was buying the issues from had told me that these issues were "DISCONTINUED"... I started to panic. I didn't want to buy 110 issues for the main ship and have 2 issues missing. The last 60 issues are an extension to the main subscription that include a whole other starship called the Andromeda. I was told to look on some shopping websites but they didn't have the issues I was looking for. As I was scouring the web for information and trying to track down the missing issues I stumbled across a blog of the Space Battleship Yamato series. This guy had pages and pages of articles and blogs about the show, the art and the characters as well as fan art. I took a chance and emailed him. He was able to get me in touch with a guy he does business with in Japan and he was able to get the missing issues directly from Hachette Japan.

So... that being said... on with the build...

Issue #2

Parts included with Issue #2-Shock Cannon Turret. The 46 cm guns housed in a triple-barreled turret. There will be 3 of these turrets on the ship. They have been converted into powerful energy guns. Each turret fires three energy beams which spiral around each other to form a single, more powerful beam, capable of severely damaging or destroying enemy warships. The cannons are operated by seated human controllers, whose aiming orders are transmitted from Bridge One. In addition to firing energy blasts, the guns can be loaded with other ammunition, most notably the shock cannons firing Type 3 projectiles, designed to pierce enemy armor a few seconds before detonation.

Pushed the front barrels into the rear barrels with a bit of CA glue to hold them in.

Main fulcrum pin to hold the 3 barrels together.

Threading the LED light through the "Range Finder". Not sure if they are really range finders since I cant read Japanese. There is one on each side of the turret.

Looping the LED into the "Range Finders" and then pulling the slack out.

How the LED should sit in the "Range Finder" housing.

"Range Finders" with LEDs installed.

"Range Finders" installed on the turret. They just slid into the slots in the turrets sides. The main turret body is made of metal. The rest of the parts are plastic.

Retaining clip installed with one screw. Holds the "Range Finders" in place and helps keep the wires in place for later installation on the main deck.

Top view with "Range Finders" installed.

Green lenses for the turret "Range Finders".

Lenses installed with a bit of CA glue to hold them in place in the housing.

Cam to make the shock cannons go up and down. There will be a motor installed underneath to move the turret in different directions.

Shock Cannon barrels installed in the main turret body.

Cam pin that will attach to a motor in a later issue.

Bottom plate installed with 4 screws.

Not sure what these are but they needed to be glued to the back of the turret with a bit of CA glue.

Finished gluing on the greeblies. Got a bit that squeezed out of the middle one. Cleaned it up.

Finished turret side view.

Finished turret front view. Sorry about the poor quality of this photo.

The turret is a bit too shiny for my liking. I will hit it with some matte clearcoat after I do the weathering. That is it for this issue.
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Nytetrain
#3 Posted : 29 March 2021 04:17:56

Issue 003: Just a small update on this build. Building one of the fighter aircraft that the Yamato carries for support.

Issue 003

Parts in this issue.

This is the Cosmo Tiger II. The basic one-person Cosmo Tiger II design is adaptable for specialized warfare needs. A lightning strike variant of the fighter was introduced in time to participate in the Battle of Saturn, amplifying the standard fighter's firepower and operated by a crew of three. The UNCN is also working on adding electronic warfare capabilities. For long-distance travel, a Cosmo Tiger II can be mounted to a warp booster that allows the fighter to make two warp jumps.

Underside of the Cosmo Tiger II

Topside of the Cosmo Tiger II

I just glued on the bits required for this part of the build. I will do some clean up and weathering later. That is it for this issue.
Best Regards,
Ron