Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Airwolf Options
Mustang
#21 Posted : 06 September 2020 21:51:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Kev the Modeller wrote:
That'll be an interesting build Ian and great to see more helicopters being built. Personally I keep wanting to buy and build a 1:48 Chinook. Drool Cool

Kev.

Hi Kev, Blushing I’ve got two 1/48 academy Chinooks Blushing
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -
Current Build - Below Decks - https://forum.model-spac...sts&m=339187#339187 -

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
Kev the Modeller
#22 Posted : 07 September 2020 19:59:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Mustang wrote:
Kev the Modeller wrote:
That'll be an interesting build Ian and great to see more helicopters being built. Personally I keep wanting to buy and build a 1:48 Chinook. Drool Cool

Kev.

Nice!! I wasn't aware that Academy produced a 1:48 Chinook though? Cool

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Mustang
#23 Posted : 11 September 2020 09:41:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Mustang wrote:
Kev the Modeller wrote:

Kev.

Nice!! I wasn't aware that Academy produced a 1:48 Chinook though? Cool

Kev.

Hi Kev,

I've got the Boeing versions CH-46A-D Vietnam and the CH/HH-46D Sea Knight "U.S. NAVY Version" So not a real chinook but the same family.

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
Mustang
#24 Posted : 11 September 2020 09:46:00

So back to the lady in question, sorry for the slight detour.

Got her to sit about right, not that easy as the rear wheels have no locating joints to get the angle correct. So I had to guess and prop the rear up with a piece of foam while the rear undercharge was setting.

Coming Soon -

Mustang
#25 Posted : 11 September 2020 09:49:06

Now I had an idea that the side pods wouldn't be right, and I was right the guns where sitting at the wrong angle.

I thought this might happen as I had to switch the left side with the right side to get the guns the correct way round.

So I had a little play with them.

Coming Soon -

Mustang
#26 Posted : 11 September 2020 09:52:30

The front refuelling pod and the front angle of attack probes didn't look right, they looked completely the wrong scale.

So I've replaced them with some brass rods.

Coming Soon -

tigerace
#27 Posted : 11 September 2020 12:49:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice workDrool Drool looks outstandingBigGrin those little mods are making the differenceDrool Drool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

CAThompson
#28 Posted : 12 September 2020 14:56:32

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Greetings,

She is looking good. The replacement exterior details are great.

Christopher
Current builds:
HMS Victory
Black Pearl

Builds on hold:
Millennum Falcon
USS Constellation

Future Builds:
Hanse Kogge (14th C)
Mary Rose (16th C)
Mustang
#29 Posted : 31 March 2021 20:45:55

Thanks guys for dropping in Wink

So I finally got some paint on the old girl.

Don't you just hate it when you get a bleed under the tape, let alone when its black on white Crying

Will go around touching her up tomorrow Bored that sounds wrong LOL Laugh

She has a bit of a sheen at the moment but that should go once she's sealed and matted down a bit.

Coming Soon -

Kev the Modeller
#30 Posted : 01 April 2021 14:44:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good Ian, looks great with the paint on. There is a little trick you can do to stop any 'paint bleed' between two adjoining colours? I'm assuming that you've sprayed the white first and then the black after masking the white?

What you need to do is airbrush the white, then mask ready to spray the black, but what you do before spraying the black is paint the edge of the black area, where it meets the demarcation edge of the masking tape once again with the first colour, i.e. the white? What that does is seal the edge of the masking tape with a thin barrier of the white that is underneath it and builds up a sort of blocking edge to stop any black paint seeping beneath the tape? Obviously, you may get a bit of white seepage beneath the edge of the tape but white on white won't show of course! Once the white paint on the edge of the tape has fully dried, just check that the tape edge is still fully pressed down (it may have lifted slightly whilst the white was drying) then proceed with the black and let that fully dry before removing the tape. You'll find you have no black seepage if you've done it correctly? Just don't apply the paint too thickly or you may get a ridge at the tape line?

I hope that makes sense Ian? Try it on a scrap model or piece of plastic card and you'll see what I mean.

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Mustang
#31 Posted : 01 April 2021 18:28:41

Hi Kev thanks for looking in.

I understand what you mean, I’ve done it that way in the past but I personally don’t like doing it that way. Normally I don’t get any bleed when painting but I think this was down to the tape not being pushed in enough to where the parts joined and it allowed a little paint to get in plus some of the panel lines are very deep.

I’ve done the way you say before but I find you can sometimes end up with a slight lip after removing the tape only sometimes not always. I’ve built kits for some 30+ years and it just happens sometimes.

As to painting, this was hand brushed on I didn’t spray this one.

Coming Soon -

Kev the Modeller
#32 Posted : 01 April 2021 19:01:24

Hello Ian. Yeah, I've been using that method for a few years now and still found that I'd get an occasional slight ridge between the two colours due to the tape, but soon realised that if I thinned the paint enough and pressed the tape edge firmly down I ended up with no seepage and no ridge. However, if you're hand brushing the paint there's always a high chance of a ridge building up since the paint will be thicker and if you thin it to stop the ridge, then the thin paint doesn't cover very well? Can't win sometimes can you?

Keep up the good work Ian, will be following. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tigerace
#33 Posted : 01 April 2021 19:02:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad your back on this MustangBigGrin looks awesome so farDrool Drool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Silent_Running
#34 Posted : 03 April 2021 10:20:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Hi Mustang,
I’m so glad you are doing a bit more to the ‘Lady’, I like you am a huge fan of Airwolf. Would I be correct in saying that this a resin kit? Your modifications are looking superb as is the painting, will you be fitting the rocket pod and doing something special with the chaff dispenser?

I’m looking forward to seeing more of your build, can’t wait to see more Drool Drool Drool
Regards
Glenn
Mustang
#35 Posted : 03 April 2021 19:12:13

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for looking in, the kit is a plastic by kinetic it’s not a bad kit but there are better ones out there. The rocket pods will possible be added not 100% sure yet so to the chaff dispenser no I won’t be doing anything with them.

Coming Soon -

Mustang
#36 Posted : 07 April 2021 17:35:15

Well everyone she's all done.

All aftermarket bits, not designed for this kit.

3 lovely ladies.

Coming Soon -