Andreesb
#22 Posted : 17 March 2019 10:59:12

Groups: Registered

Added a lock/opener to the hood.

My builds: Shelby 99%, Porsche Carrera RS 30%
Andreesb
#23 Posted : 17 March 2019 11:19:11

Final Version of the boot floor mat and wheel cover.

Added washers and photo etched hexagon screw heads to the boot hinges. Added decals.
I filled and sanded the inside of the hood and boot and sprayed it night mist blue.
Had a problem with the Ford spray can color peeling off the paint from the hood, so I had to sand it all again and paint it Matt black.
Painted the boot (the paint did not peel off on the bootConfused) also Matt black to match the hood.
It should be in body color though!

Added rubber blades to the wipers. Cut from racebike tubes. Painted the slots on top of the hood semi Matt black.
The photo shows left side slots painted, on the right side they are still blue. Also completed the racing stripes on both sides (two white
lines missing). Seen on later pics

Modified the reversing lights.
Painted the rear license plate .

Andreesb
#24 Posted : 17 March 2019 11:23:07

Andreesb
#25 Posted : 17 March 2019 11:25:17

Andreesb
#26 Posted : 17 March 2019 11:27:29

Andreesb
#27 Posted : 17 March 2019 12:01:43

Don't glue in the exhaust pipe ends until everything is finished, they surely will break off. I painted the inside of the exhaust pipe ends black.
I secured front and rear windows with glue on the chrome pins from the back, glued in the roof, hid the blue/white cables in the fenders with black tape, added some black paint to the key holes on the doors and the boot. Closed the holes for the screws in the base plate with sponge rubber cut with a hole puncher and painted several times. The paint that matches the 1967 tuff cote Dinol pretty good is Humbrol enamel semi Matt 132.
Final marriage of body and chassis went without big problems. Had to add some glue to get both ends of the rear chrome bumpers in place.Antenna is not screwed in. Maybe I glue it in later. The Antenna might not survive final issues or transport.
Lights and sound work, the engine sound is a bit weak and the horn hub has some loose connection sometimes.
Only big issue I have, is the gap between the door and the fender. I guess the distance between the screw holes in the base plate is too big. This didn't show before the body was on the chassis. Couldn't solve that problem. Too late now, since I glued inn the rear bumperCrying

Want to add some more decals, Fill magazines and cigarette packs in the glove box and make a tool bag from the rest of the plaid cloth. Could have used more color to add a more used look on
the bottom, my Shelby just looks a bit too clean, maybe just arrived for the first test drive in 1967.
thanks for your comments,
Andrees
MrObsessive
#28 Posted : 17 March 2019 16:14:57

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! Love Love

One thing about the door gaps...........this might be intentional on DeAgostini's part as they wanted to make sure the door swings inward without any binding. I've built models (1/25) in the past with opening doors and since I'm working with plastic, I can thin the inside of the fenders so that there's a reasonable gap for the door shut lines.

Metal is a bit more tricky as it has to be thicker for strength and this may be the result. The inside of the fenders is not thin enough for the door to turn in without scraping paint.

I sent you a message.......if you could check your inbox. Cool
pbhawkin
#29 Posted : 22 March 2019 22:48:11

Andrees,
You have done a masterful job of super detailing the car, well done.
I am up to issue 90 (having finished the interior) and waiting on getting all the body parts before continuing.
Your beautiful pictures have encouraged me to alter and add some additional pieces to my engine bay.
Could you please explain more about how you printed on cloth? I tried printing the trunk pattern on decal paper and sticking it to some thin hobby Leather BUT the water made the dye in the leather run and now my trunk mat looks like it is old and mouldy (not new like I wanted it!!).
Would you kindly post (or PM/email) a file of the pattern you used for printing the trunk mat as well as one for the decals you made?

regards
Peter
Andreesb
#30 Posted : 29 March 2019 17:30:43

Hello Peter, Thanks for the praise.
These pictures are the templates for most of my decals:
Print them on glossy photo paper and slice the paper with a scalpel to get a thin decal and than glue it using paper glue or
clear cote. Alternatively print on water sliding decal film. I use an inkjet printer on glossy paper.
Cut them out using scalpel and/or small nail scissors.
Be sure not to loose detail when you scale them down to correct size. I copied the pics directly into MS office word and created several different sized
versions of each decal. Photoshop or similar will do the same.
The oil filter decal is custom-made using a drawing program.
The trunk pattern pic is from one of the shops that sell the real carpet/mats.
I modified the pic and uploaded it to an online shop specialized on textile printing. You can choose between hundreds of different cloth types. I choose
a thin white cloth with some stretch, so it folds perfectly around the tire. There isn't much space in the trunk for the tire!

MrObsessive
#31 Posted : 31 March 2019 08:28:20

Aaaah! Thank you sooo much! I saved all those pics and they will come in mighty handy down the road! Cool
pbhawkin
#32 Posted : 01 April 2019 08:50:13

Thanks for posting the images Andreesb.
I have already copied a few of your modifications onto my car (like fixing the gaps under the car at the front of the rear leaf springs and at the cross brace for the transmission as well as making a fuel filter and painting the inner doors Nightmist Blue and Silver for the catch...).
I have found a online fabric printer in Sydney but they all want to do a minimum order of 1 meter of fabric for the trunk mat!
rpmracing18
#33 Posted : 29 April 2019 00:02:01

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Wow, Andreesb, you must be pretty well set up to do this kind of extreme detail. I can tell from the background of your photos that you must devote a lot of time doing this as a passion for model building. Do you sale what you build or do you display them?

I'm just doing a few modifications to mine (see rpmracing18 Shelby build) just to display at my house where probably nobody would ever see it anywayHuh

Absolutely outstanding work, keep the photos comingBigGrin
rpmracing18
#34 Posted : 23 March 2021 23:41:48

Andreesb,

I know this has been a couple years now and hope you still get this post or someone else can elaborate.

I see some of the most absolutely amazing detail work I've ever seen in a large scale model.
My question is what kind of metal do you use for the dipstick handles, like for the power steering pump handle and oil dipstick handle? What metals or plastic do you use?

rpmracing18

Andreesb
#35 Posted : 08 April 2021 10:37:28

rpmracing18 wrote:
Andreesb,

I know this has been a couple years now and hope you still get this post or someone else can elaborate.

I see some of the most absolutely amazing detail work I've ever seen in a large scale model.
My question is what kind of metal do you use for the dipstick handles, like for the power steering pump handle and oil dipstick handle? What metals or plastic do you use?

rpmracing18

Hello, i use 0,3mm Aluminum sheet. The plastic parts are made of modelers polystyrol sheets in various
Thickness.
Andrees
rpmracing18
#36 Posted : 08 April 2021 12:37:21

Thank You Andreesb very much for posting. Just simply amazing the detail work you’ve done. My wife thought is was a real Shelby when she seen the photos of the engine compartment !!!

Thank You for your response on the aluminum sheet size and the plastic used.

I was also wanting to ask what size hex nuts/screws do you use mostly under the hood(bonnet) for the small items like the starter switch on the firewall and other small pieces? What do you generally use?

I have a hard time finding small hex pieces here in the US.

Thanks for any help, I DO appreciate it !!!

Richie
Dinky
#37 Posted : 19 August 2022 10:33:13

Red Medal: Red Medal

It's a pleasure reading and seeing what you did to this Mustang.
AmazingThumpUp ThumpUp