Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

X wings not closing, need help Options
Wayne Smith
#1 Posted : 27 March 2021 11:34:55

Groups: Registered

I have read lots of issues with wings not stopping when closing, has anyone had an issue with wings not stopping when opening? Finally was able to test all functions and was made up everything was working right up to the point that the wing motor wouldn't stop when I pushed the centre button, any help much appreciated.
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 27 March 2021 17:07:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Wayne
There is an issue which you will see has been addressed in this link below.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=33711

Mark
Virgil Tracey
#3 Posted : 27 March 2021 20:43:08

Hi Guys
I guess with everyone, certainly in the UK getting to the point of testing the various circuits and with a lot of chatter about wings and breaking of cogs could Mark perhaps do a video where we can see how big this piece of plastic has to be and also exactly where to put it. We shouldn't have to do this but I guess we're going to to make this thing work.
As I sit here I daren't even test my electrics in case they blow up and I don't want to try the wings in case my cogs go pear shaped so if Mark, who can probably get spares quicker than we punters can from "Super efficient" Cursing customer services at least we could see what we need to do before we screw the thing up.
Also please put up more build diaries if you wouldn't mind.
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 27 March 2021 23:28:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Virgil Tracey wrote:
Hi Guys
I guess with everyone, certainly in the UK getting to the point of testing the various circuits and with a lot of chatter about wings and breaking of cogs could Mark perhaps do a video where we can see how big this piece of plastic has to be and also exactly where to put it. We shouldn't have to do this but I guess we're going to to make this thing work.
As I sit here I daren't even test my electrics in case they blow up and I don't want to try the wings in case my cogs go pear shaped so if Mark, who can probably get spares quicker than we punters can from "Super efficient" Cursing customer services at least we could see what we need to do before we screw the thing up.
Also please put up more build diaries if you wouldn't mind.

Unfortunately I also have not received parts for the official build to continue, as like the rest of us, I too have to wait for deliveries, and no I don’t get spares.
If you look at the third picture in stage 71, you will see a small shim of plastic approximately 1mm thick seems to cure the issue.
Hope that helps

Mark

Wayne Smith
#5 Posted : 28 March 2021 16:32:31

Mark do you believe your shim of plastic will solve the problem of the wings not stopping when opening as well as not stopping when closing. I have been really enjoying building the model and don't want this issue to take away any of that enjoyment.
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 28 March 2021 17:05:49

I can only go on my own experience and that others have said it works. This was first raised in the German forum and the FST there put up a video. The link is below, although in German.

https://youtu.be/RcM7oMv2QxM

I found that adding just the plastic shim was enough, well in my case that was.
I did originally add a piece to the top tab that activated the switch when opening, but the wings didn’t open fully, so I took that one off.

As I said, I had no issue when opening the wings, only when closing. I did however, when testing, get someone else to hold the x wing and had a ribbon inside the battery compartment ready to pull out the batteries should the motor continue to run when it closed. This was to stop the motors running and stop any damage to any of the cogs. It is also important, as mentioned in the official build diary, to make sure everything lines up correctly before inserting the rods.

Mark
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 29 March 2021 16:02:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I would highly recommend watching the youtube video.You can click on CC to get closed captions and then click on settings to get an auto translate of the captions.

The most important part of his video is showing how he fits the 2 lower wings together.Its really important to get this right.I had one wing slightly off compared to the other wing and it caused issues with opening and closing.He really clearly shows how to align the 2 wings.Once I did that and put the shim my wings closed properly. I did have an issue with the motor not stopping when the wing opneed, but that went away when I correctly installed the lower wings. he does detail in the video about shimming the other stop on the wing it you have a problem with the motor not stopping when the wings open.All I need was a 0.030 (0.7mm) shim on the tab and my wing sclosed perfectly and the motor shut off.

Carl

bmwiggins
#8 Posted : 30 March 2021 09:52:53

darbyvet wrote:
I would highly recommend watching the youtube video.You can click on CC to get closed captions and then click on settings to get an auto translate of the captions.

The most important part of his video is showing how he fits the 2 lower wings together.Its really important to get this right.I had one wing slightly off compared to the other wing and it caused issues with opening and closing.He really clearly shows how to align the 2 wings.Once I did that and put the shim my wings closed properly. I did have an issue with the motor not stopping when the wing opneed, but that went away when I correctly installed the lower wings. he does detail in the video about shimming the other stop on the wing it you have a problem with the motor not stopping when the wings open.All I need was a 0.030 (0.7mm) shim on the tab and my wing sclosed perfectly and the motor shut off.

Carl

Just to add to this.

I had major problems getting the last wing to line up properly with the rods fitted, there was a clear 2mm lateral offset to the alignment with the wing below.

It turned out the bottom right wing, the one fitted second, wasn't meshed correctly by just one tooth with the left bottom wing that attaches to the motor which then also threw the alignment geometry of the last wing out.

To get the bottom two wings to mesh up properly I ended up doing the meshing with no rods fitted at all and then fitting the rod to the right hand wing first. Not what the instructions said which has you fit the rod to the left wing first which gives you no wiggle room to then get the teeth on the right wing to mesh properly.

After that the wings all fit nicely and with the unit held by the body section a gap of about 8mm was visible between both pairs of wings at the wing tip ends. This disappeared after the first test open and close.

I can only assume the motor drive cog had a tooth's worth of slack to take up to get the wings fully into the closed position.

I also found that a small rectangular piece of plastic cut from the corner of an Amazon gift voucher card was the right thickness for the required shim.
Built - R2D2, Thunderbird 2, X-Wing / WAS Building(Ha!)- Bailed after eight months without pack 15 - Millenium Falcon
Wayne Smith
#9 Posted : 05 April 2021 22:06:21

Wanted to say thank you to everyone for there help with my problem, which fingers crossed I can solve with all the ideas and shims!!!!
Wayne Smith
#10 Posted : 10 April 2021 20:43:19

Wings fitted, shims added, X Wings in attack position i.e success. Thank you for the help and guidance. Fingers crossed the rest of the build will be reasonably problem free!!!!!!!!!!!!