Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Kev's 1:48 Supermarine Spitfire PR.XIX - "The Last" Options
Kev the Modeller
#1 Posted : 16 April 2021 20:42:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all,

Thought I would just put up some photos of a model that I finished this afternoon, after it had been left half finished in it's box for a couple of years!

This is the Airfix 1:48 Supermarine Spitfire PR.XIX (Kit # A05119) which was released as a new tool kit back in 2013. The aircraft depicted was the one that flew the very last operational sortie by a Spitfire, which took place on 10th June 1957, when it overflew the jungles of Malaysia on a photo-reconnaissance mission. I quite like the later marks of the Spitfire with their Rolls-Royce Griffon engines and the associated bulbous nose, and particularly the 'PR' versions, which with the lack of guns in the wings and no bullet-proof windshield gives a very clean look to the aircraft and I think really accentuates the inherently beautiful design of the Spitfire?!

I have included a few photos of the cockpit from before the clear parts were fitted, which has some added details and an aftermarket set of seatbelts. The whip aerial just aft of the cockpit is a single hair from a 2" nylon paintbrush.

I hope you like it?:

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed. ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Silent_Running
#2 Posted : 16 April 2021 20:51:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev,
What a lovely job you’ve done with her, I love the weathering you’ve done in the cockpit and the head on picture is a stunner, the work you have done on the propeller and the painting is really striking compared to the low observation paint scheme. Simply great work Kev. Top man ThumpUp
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 17 April 2021 09:01:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Beautiful work Kev. A lot of detail for such a small model, you could be forgive to think it was a larger scale.Love Love Drool Drool

Mark
Gandale
#4 Posted : 17 April 2021 09:03:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautifully done Kev and another beauty to add to your build collection.... Looks fab....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
tf64
#5 Posted : 17 April 2021 20:45:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev,

This is a stunning example of how a finished Spitfire should look the paintwork and weathering are spot on, this would make a great Dio Kev.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

tigerace
#6 Posted : 18 April 2021 10:55:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice model KevBigGrin looks superbDrool Drool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!