Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages «<234
SMS Gneisenau Options
Gandale
#61 Posted : 17 January 2021 00:07:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Another very nice update Budgie, she's certainly taking shape now..... excellent work....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
John Passmore
#62 Posted : 17 January 2021 14:57:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Budgie

Your build is looking really good and I'm getting quite a few tips from it - thanks, mate....BigGrin

I see your model has a cruiser type stern - same as mine - so I will be watching to see how you clad it...Blink

I'm currently working on the rudder and rudder support frame and will be posting in a few days...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
budgie
#63 Posted : 17 January 2021 18:00:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

John Passmore wrote:
Hi Budgie

I see your model has a cruiser type stern - same as mine - so I will be watching to see how you clad it...Blink

Regards
JohnP

Hi John
had a wee play about with the stern

I see what you mean

The angle of the bow will not allow the planks to lie flush unless I use very thin strips

Think I will be laying the 2nd planking as near to the bow as possible without trying to bend the planks around it

As she will be getting painted I will use a filler or putty or sawdust mixed with glue to fill the gap between each side of the planks around the bow and sand to shape

Looking forward to your next update
budgie attached the following image(s):
bendy.jpg
bendy1.jpg
bendy2.jpg
mogwai
#64 Posted : 17 January 2021 20:11:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi taking shape very nicely with you well for the rest of the build cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
budgie
#65 Posted : 23 January 2021 17:46:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Evening Folks
Thanks for posting Mick appreciated

I re enlarged the fwd deck template and was a bit disappointed that there is a good sized gap
Hey HOBored

Decided to start the laying of planks ...I will call this the 1st layer of planking as it is being layed on the outer frames
(previous ones were flush with frames)

I will double plank where the armour belt is to be replicated

Just using elastic bands and drawing pins to hold in place at the moment

No doubt where the planks are more springy they will need to have pins pushed through the actual planks to hold them in place

Plan is once 1st planking completed sanding and filler used to produce a smooth hull
Thanks for lookin'
bow.jpg
gap.jpg
1st plank1.jpg
1st plank2.jpg
1st plank3.jpg
haha.jpg
daffy09
#66 Posted : 23 January 2021 17:54:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I hope your loved one doesn't follow your channel or you might be in deep water LOL.
Regardless, your hull is coming along just fine now. Waiting patiently for the start of the superstructure and fittings.
Happy building
David
John Passmore
#67 Posted : 31 January 2021 07:55:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

budgie wrote:
BigGrin Evening Folks
Thanks for posting Mick appreciated

I re enlarged the fwd deck template and was a bit disappointed that there is a good sized gap
Hey HOBored

Decided to start the laying of planks ...I will call this the 1st layer of planking as it is being layed on the outer frames
(previous ones were flush with frames)

I will double plank where the armour belt is to be replicated

Just using elastic bands and drawing pins to hold in place at the moment

No doubt where the planks are more springy they will need to have pins pushed through the actual planks to hold them in place

Plan is once 1st planking completed sanding and filler used to produce a smooth hull
Thanks for lookin'

Hi Budgie

You're doing a really nice job on the hull...BigGrin I not the curve on your stern is much tighter tan the one on mine which is a bit broader and longer...but you are overcoming the problem very well...Cool

I will use Pollyfiller too but I had to go and buy mine as the missus didn't have it in her kit...LOL

Best regards
JohnP
budgie
#68 Posted : 31 January 2021 21:14:41

BigGrin Evening folks

Only got a wee bit of the planking done this week

LOL SWMBO "cracked" a smile so had to hand back her foundationLOL

1st plank9.jpg
1st plank6.jpg
1st plank5.jpg
1st plank5.jpg
John Passmore
#69 Posted : 02 February 2021 07:54:53

budgie wrote:
BigGrin Evening folks

Only got a wee bit of the planking done this week

LOL SWMBO "cracked" a smile so had to hand back her foundationLOL

Hi Budgie

She's coming along really well now. Shall be watching to see how you do the "hard bits" around the bow and stern...BigGrin

I've a little more progress with my build too...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
budgie
#70 Posted : 10 February 2021 17:42:07

BigGrin Hi Folks
Crying Still making slow progress

Glue takes a long time to dry in this cold weather

Crying Glue dries clear but still white when I go out to the shed the following evening

Mind u I have been using a generous amount of glue for each plankLOL

Started removing the stern filled in area, to refill once planking done

Anyhoos pics moving towards bow and stern
1st plank 10.jpg
1st plank 11.jpg
1st plank 12.jpg
1st plank 13.jpg
1st plank15.jpg
rudder.jpg
budgie
#71 Posted : 02 April 2021 16:27:43

BigGrin Hi Folks
been furloughed for a few weeks so decided to replace my shed

The old one leaked quite badly....yeah built it myselfFlapper tried repairing but came back to haunt me

I unscrewed all the tongue and groove planks and used them to "double plank" the inside of the new shed

I would have preferred to have painted inside a lighter colour but covering a very dark wood stain would require a few tins of paint

No way should the roof leak now as i used rubber instead of feltCool

Anyhoos thought I would post pics of my new den as it will never be this tidy again

Cool The table tops and drawers were saved from going in the works skip

Looks like if I want to do any sanding I will need to wait till SWMBO goes to the shops so I can do it in the kitchenLOL
shed1.jpg
shed2.jpg
Plymouth57
#72 Posted : 02 April 2021 19:55:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That is a beautiful job on the shed Budgie! Looks great and is about four times the size of my attic workroom!Crying
There is so much good stuff wasted and sent to land fill even in these days of recycling! When I built my original workroom on to the back of Dad's garage many years ago, Dad was the Head of Security in the then Plymouth Polytechnic (now a University) Student Union building. The roof panels were made from perfectly good Polytechnic blackboards - they had decided to replace all the traditional blackboards with green ones! Then they complain about government funding shortages!
That is a 'model space' to be proud of!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
budgie
#73 Posted : 10 April 2021 10:57:32

BigGrin Morning' Folks

Moving all my bits back into the shed and checking how far I have gotten on the Gneisensau

Placing a hull template shows I am way outConfused

I don't understandCrying as I have not adjusted any off the slots on the false decks or frames to make them fit

Ah well I will start again (at least this time I will be building the same model)LOL

Take care Folks and thanks for lookin'

bleep.jpg
bleep1.jpg
budgie
#74 Posted : 15 April 2021 17:16:45

Blink Dejavu

Not wanting to cover the den in sawdust just yet so using card just to see if I end up with same problem with gap on fwd deck and gundeck opening not quite rained up
carda.jpg
cardb.jpg
cardb1.jpg
cardc.jpg
cardc2.jpg
Gandale
#75 Posted : 17 April 2021 08:55:35

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Its such a shame to see you having to start again and sincerely hope you can identify the reasons for ending up with a gap on the stern deck section. Will be following as usual....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
goddo
#76 Posted : 17 April 2021 10:11:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Budgie,
Not quite sure if there is a connection here, because I have no knowledge of this model at all....
The discrepancy in the template looks to be about the same as the gap in the deck to me.
Could something have "slipped" during construction? Or am I being naive?
Cheers
Chris
budgie
#77 Posted : 17 April 2021 11:40:00

BigGrin Thanks for comments Guy's

As I did not have to alter the position of any slots for the horizontal decks to slot into the frames i cannot fathom out why there is such a big misalignment.

Maybe I am being too pernicketyLOL

I have gone and confused myself even further by:

As the Gniesenau is the sister ship of the Scharnhorst

and they were both 144.6M long

i have found that the 1/100 scale plan I purchased for Scharnhorst is a couple of centimetres longer than what I have built so far on the Gniesenau

Which is more accurate? the plan or the card model? need to get my measuring stick out

The plan is 150cm long so the Scharnhorst has grown 5.4M Cursing

But the card model is pretty much bang onCool length wiseCool

Maybe the UPPER frame templates were not as square as I thought or perhaps the thickness of the mdf has made the differenceConfused

Ah well I like seeing the skeleton come togetherLove

measure.jpg
measure2.jpg
measure3.jpg
measure4.jpg
John Passmore
#78 Posted : 19 April 2021 01:07:09

Hi Budgie

I'm in Tasmania for a few weeks and have just caught up with things...Blink

I had the same problem of a a gap of about 5mm between the two deck plate joints. I fixed that by placing a plate across the seam, which joins the two deck plates nicely...Cool This leaves a little channel the thickness of the ply which I will fill with wood putty then sand down smooth...Cool This join will be covered eventually by the forward part of the superstructure...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP