Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Advice please Options
smokie
#1 Posted : 23 April 2021 13:55:10

Groups: Registered

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and wonder if I can seek some advice. I am currently nearing the finish of the Honda 750, a subject I am very familiar with to be honest.
Quite fancy trying a ship, BIG but,I have never modelled in wood ever, never mind a ship! My wife wants me to do the soverien of the seas, common sense says thats a non starter...lol. Does anybody here think the admiralty Bounty would be a sensible first ship build?...Thanks in advance...
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 23 April 2021 17:58:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Blink Wow. Looking at the build diaries and instructions, I’m not sure it would be my first choice for a ‘first wooden build’. I would have recommended the Sultan Arab Dhow for a novice builder, but alas it’s out of stock Sad I see Cornwall Model Boats have it in stock, though:
https://www.cornwallmode...Dsultan%2Ehtml#SID=1786

Building this first would give you a good grounding, and see if building wooden boats is something you would want to continue with (trust me ...you will BigGrin )

I guess it really hinges on your willingness to learn, but it’s a brave man/woman that would spend £800 without exploring the alternatives.
Having said that, the instructions for all the wooden ship builds are excellent, and by following them, and the knowledge base on the forum, if you are determined to give it a go, you should end up with a good result.

Just my two-penneth worth BigGrin

Regards Gray

Oh, and one more tip: watch plenty of 'How to' videos on Youtube. And then watch some more lol
tenderfoot
#3 Posted : 23 April 2021 17:59:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

While working on this I have often thought it would have been nice to do this one as my first wood model ship. The kit is mostly laser cut pieces that need some shaping, perfect for those new to the craft. There are also some very challenging bits such as the bow area, but still within the range of a beginner if they have the patience for it. As long as you have some experience in scale models I think this is an excellent introduction into ships. Hope to see your build log and please lurk on other logs and ask lots of questions.

Do note, this section is only for build logs. In the future would be best to post general questions such as these under the Discussion area for the ship. This would also help you get more responses as the question would be in better context. Maybe an admin can get this moved over to there.

Anywho...I say go for it! Hope to see you in the build logs soon!
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
admin
#4 Posted : 23 April 2021 18:37:02

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Moved
smokie
#5 Posted : 23 April 2021 21:45:28

Evening all, Ooops, sorry, wrong board for post duly noted. I quite see the point about it being an expensive first attempt. Looked at the arab dow but to be honest it didn't take my interest. My thoughts were to be frank that invest in the special offer first pack and see how it goes, can always cancel, sounds mercenary doesn't it.
The other reason was the relative lack of planking to tackle and not to mention not a lot of rigging to contend with and do justice to. I have gone through the build downloads and found the red/blue template instructions confusing until about the third read, as you say, especially around the bow area. Anyway, enough waffle, thanks so much for the advice and now on to complete the Honda first...lol
Gandale
#6 Posted : 23 April 2021 21:45:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum, great to have you aboard.

My personal opinion. I had never built any ship in wood before I started and my very first ship build was the SOTS. She's a fabulous kit to put together and can be undertaken by a novice builder. I would point out however, if and when you decide to take this on then follow the instructions closely and you also have the bonus of the Official Build to help you along. The Official Build follows the instructions to the letter and also points out any potential pitfalls you may come across.

In addition, the instructions you receive on DeAg/MS subscription kits are second to none. They are written with the complete beginner in mind and very well illustrated too. If you decide to go with a complete boxed kit then you're likely to find the instructions are a little basic to say the least. Also remember, as a subscription, should you find it is not for you then you can always cancel meaning you wouldn't lose as much if you went for a full kit...

The final thing I would encourage you to do is to maintain and regularly post a build diary on your build. This will enable members to follow your build and it really does help the experienced builders to render assistance if and when you feel you need it. Always better to catch any potential problem early rather than later.

Hope this helps. If you have any further queries then by all means ask...

Regards

Alan