Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Servo issue suddenly after replacing one in left shoulder... Options
AdamE
#1 Posted : 02 May 2021 16:17:04

Groups: Registered

Hi All... hopefully this forum is still alive and kicking!

I got a Robi already built, and he managed to develop a faulty left shoulder (wouldn't go forward and back) on his journey to me. Luckily a friend had a spare servo, so programmed it for me as the correct one, and after LOTS of swearing and using tiny tools I managed to separate the body halves (without removing the head - just the two screws securing the neck to the body on that side). Then loosened the hip joint, slid off the legs and manged to just about get enough space to swap the servo.

I fired him up and the arm was working perfectly - great I thought! He was was singing and dancing (albeit in Japanese as I still haven't sorted the English SD card to go with my English VR board). He sat down, got up, did push-ups - it was SO CUTE. LOL

Then his shoulder joint (on same side) but the in and out one this time stopped working. Then his arm on the other side stopped doing anything at all... now only his legs and head seem to do anything. He still listens and reacts as he should - just no arm movement whatsoever! Cursing

I am really upset now after all the dismantling etc - anyone got any ideas? Confused

Thanks!
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 02 May 2021 16:41:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

My guess would be the servo wires have become detached from the board.If everything else is working it is probably not the mian board. The connectors are a bit fiddly and it is easy to snag the wires as they pass through the arms.I would disassemble so you can check those servo wires.

Carl

AdamE
#3 Posted : 02 May 2021 16:45:58

Okie dokie - I was thinking it must be wiring connections as he was super lively dancing, doing push ups etc after i put his new servo in.

I've got a 'Test SD' would that point me to the offending connection? Not used it before. New to Robi!

I read somewhere here that the wore that goes through the speaker box can be a bit tight.. and routing it outside the box is an option?

AdamE
#4 Posted : 02 May 2021 18:18:34

OK weird update...

So I charged his battery after he cooled down and ran the 'Test SD' - and he passed all the tests!

Strange.

So I popped the 'Heart SD' back in (luckily I printed an external Card reader (with adapter) to replace his back panel so its nice and easy!)

Low and behold he fired up and everything seemed fine again. Sit down, stand up, dance etc.

Then after he did a mime his arms stayed outwards - weird as they felt like they were energised though. SO i asked him to sit down (while keeping my hand behind him to stop any falling - his arms didn't move until he had almost finished and then shot round to the sit down position suddenly and really quickly!

Then he stood up fine again.

Does this point to the connection issue still? Not run the 'test SD' again yet - just thought I;d post what just happened!

Thanks in advance!
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 04 May 2021 00:59:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

I would still check the wires.Robi does some strange things if the battery is not fully charged and sometimes the battery supplied will not hold a charge well.The battery charger doesnt tell you that is the case so if you find the wires are all good I would replace the battery.It is also good to charge him regularirly because once the voltage of the battery drops too low it wont charge properly

Carl

AdamE
#6 Posted : 04 May 2021 08:14:41

Thanks Carl,. What I might do is also charge the battery on my IMAX B6 charger and see what it says the capacity is.

I was thinking of making an external higher capacity battery anyway (external to avoid overheating issues), like a slim backpack... So let's see.

Thanks for the pointers.
Adam
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 04 May 2021 14:37:45

AdamE wrote:
Thanks Carl,. What I might do is also charge the battery on my IMAX B6 charger and see what it says the capacity is.

I was thinking of making an external higher capacity battery anyway (external to avoid overheating issues), like a slim backpack... So let's see.

Thanks for the pointers.
Adam

Checking the battery is a good idea.The charger that comes with Robi will turn green telling you it is charged even if it isnt so it may be a battery issue. eh will yawn and tell you he is tired when the battery power drops, but if yours is speaking Japanese you may not be hearing that (unless you speak japanese).

Carl

AdamE
#8 Posted : 04 May 2021 14:41:56

Ha ha, yep he is either speaking Japanese or Italian right now - I have the English files finally so I will load them onto an external SD and try him again.

Also with regard to another battery. If I make a larger capacity for him and have it external, am I right in thinking it will be fine as long as voltage etc is correct? he capacity shouldn't cause any issues?

I am thinking of using a slim longer cell with better capacity so as not to change his centre of gravity too much.
AdamE
#9 Posted : 04 May 2021 15:48:14

OK, so narrowed it down now to the left elbow joint I think (as when the arms stop working he goes floppy at that joint only) - so hopefully that's either the connector in the outer shoulder joint to the elbow, or at the elbow itself... fingers crossed!

He's English now too!
darbyvet
#10 Posted : 04 May 2021 15:51:41

AdamE wrote:
Ha ha, yep he is either speaking Japanese or Italian right now - I have the English files finally so I will load them onto an external SD and try him again.

Also with regard to another battery. If I make a larger capacity for him and have it external, am I right in thinking it will be fine as long as voltage etc is correct? he capacity shouldn't cause any issues?

I am thinking of using a slim longer cell with better capacity so as not to change his centre of gravity too much.

I dont know if a larger capacity battery would be an issue.I am not privvy to the design.It may affect your warranty if you use a non stock part with Robi. I would laso worry aobut his balance if you change his center of gravity too much.

Carl

AdamE
#11 Posted : 04 May 2021 16:06:10

Agreed - gotta keep him fairly well balanced.

I added the external card reader to his back, which hasn't changed his balance yet - Just got to be careful of the weight and placement I think.

Robi is not under warranty as he is very second hand (third hand in fact I think LOL).

Card reader pic below - it's meant for the Wi-Fi upgrade but works great for a standard 'Heart SD'

File Attachment(s):
IMG_20210428_171157.jpg (1,647kb) downloaded 16 time(s).