Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Steering Wheel fit issue... Options
MMG
#1 Posted : 01 May 2021 13:31:08

Groups: Registered

It seems the steering rod on my build does not want to seat into the wheel correctly..almost as if the notched end is too long (see below). I don't want to have to disassemble the dashboard in 60 issues when I realise the rod stick out too far to connect to the linkages, but also I do not want to file it down now and find later down the line that the rod is too short.

Can anyone confirm if it is SUPPOSED to look like this, or should it fit flush?

Silent_Running
#2 Posted : 01 May 2021 15:02:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Hi MMG,
Welcome to the ModelSpace forum, with regard to your question have you looked at the Dodge Charger official build diary pack 15 as this gives the build information regarding the construction of the steering wheel.
Regards
Glenn BigGrin
MMG
#3 Posted : 01 May 2021 18:03:31

Silent_Running wrote:
Hi MMG,
Welcome to the ModelSpace forum, with regard to your question have you looked at the Dodge Charger official build diary pack 15 as this gives the build information regarding the construction of the steering wheel.
Regards
Glenn BigGrin

Yeah, I found no mention of the fit of the column into the wheel anywhere and that part just describes fitting the wheel and colum assembly into the rest of the linkage - which is why wondered if this odd fit is a production error and I have a column that is the wrong length.
Silent_Running
#4 Posted : 02 May 2021 07:10:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

MMG wrote:
Silent_Running wrote:
Hi MMG,
Regards
Glenn BigGrin

Yeah, I found no mention of the fit of the column into the wheel anywhere and that part just describes fitting the wheel and colum assembly into the rest of the linkage - which is why wondered if this odd fit is a production error and I have a column that is the wrong length.

Hi MMG,
I shall make enquiries and get back to you. Cool
MMG
#5 Posted : 02 May 2021 10:44:10

Much appreciated! One of my colleagues has just told me theirs has the same weird fit too so maybe it is the norm. I'll see what you can find out :)
admin
#6 Posted : 03 May 2021 05:01:20

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All,

I’m not building this one, but I checked with Steve (the OB) and he didn’t recall anything unusual. In looking at your pic, I’d make the recommendation of using a fine cut mill file, and kissing the flat with it. The parts are powder coated, and it can be rather thick sometimes.

Best,

Mark
MMG
#7 Posted : 03 May 2021 11:03:04

Hmm. That would suggest that if his fitted, then for some reason mine has actually been manufactured...longer? For some reason? Weird. I will leave it for now and then when it comes to assembling everything if needed will cut/file it if there are issues as a result. But I guess if the wheel sticks our a extra few mm from the steering column housing on the dash it would not be the end of the world :D

Cheers ^_^
admin
#8 Posted : 03 May 2021 16:30:30

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

It’s a die cast part, so there should not be any variability. Is the wheel seated so that the end of the column is flush on the “outside?”
MMG
#9 Posted : 04 May 2021 00:22:52

admin wrote:
It’s a die cast part, so there should not be any variability. Is the wheel seated so that the end of the column is flush on the “outside?”

The rod only pushes into the back of the wheel a certain amount, it is pushing right against the inside of the wheel as it is supposed to. If there was any play, the screw (that goes into the rod through the front of the wheel) would have pulled the rod up further as it threaded through, but it did not as it is butted right up against the metal wheel part.

I guess I will find out in a year or so when I get to install the steering wheel into the steering rack and dashboard if this is an intentional design ^_^