Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Coppering bottom Options
ENJAY49
#1 Posted : 07 October 2020 17:00:18

Groups: Registered

After going 3 years and so far behind, I finally have a decent camera to show a little progress.
Seeing how long it was taking, to use the real copper tiles I bought from this site, put them away and decided to go with the tape method as some have suggested. Not as nice as the tiles, I'm sure, but presentable (although I'm never happy with anything that is simply "presentable", there are other issues to deal with time wise). Should add, a bit concerned on the adhesiveness, and also found using an agent like JAX to get a patina will destroy the copper, as it did on my test piece.
Hope all are keeping well, any advice appreciated!
File Attachment(s):
DSCN0713.JPG (2,044kb) downloaded 61 time(s).
ENJAY49 attached the following image(s):
DSCN0712.JPG
Bruce
z8000783
#2 Posted : 07 October 2020 17:10:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

That looks wonderful Bruce. Lovely, neat work.

Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 07 October 2020 17:30:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bruce.

I did my DelPrado Victory hull using the copper tape method, this was a number of years ago now (MUST get back to her soon!)Blushing
So far not one of the tiles has come loose, I used the 5mm wide copper strip as sold for anti-slug protection with rivets embossed using a dremel type circular saw blade (didn't have a Pounce wheel back then!)
A few years of aging and the tiles have dulled down considerably from the shiny copper finish they had to start with so you can just leave them to get on with it if you like! I think there are some diaries on here where home made 'gentler' solutions to add a patina have been used to good effect, I'm just leaving mine to nature - she's pretty good at it!BigGrin
Great looking effect on yours, well done!

Robin.

PS the photo was taken soon after completion so still shiny!
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Wash effect pic.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
goddo
#4 Posted : 07 October 2020 17:36:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Very nicely done.
You guys put me to shame when I see the quality of your work.
Chris
ENJAY49
#5 Posted : 01 January 2021 20:03:37

Been away from here for a while, so I'm late on this, but just have to say thanks for the kind words.
Bruce
ENJAY49
#6 Posted : 07 May 2021 18:39:47

Hello all, finally made some progress to put up here. I find it really diaappointing as to the quality of the Artesania kit for the price, so took a bit of time to improvise the galleries, and a bit of money, well spent, on the decorartive pieces from Woody's Model Works.
Just a few simple adjustments, seperated the bottom side galleries to offset them from the top 2, added black panels under the side ballusters, made a new roof, and squared off the bottom corners as per photographs from the ship. Also added Woody's companionway, (added the middle rail myself).
Next up is Woody's bow parts, they look very good.
Only question, 3 1/2 years in, will I ever finish this?
File Attachment(s):
DSCN0752.JPG (1,948kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
DSCN0756.JPG
DSCN0748.JPG
DSCN0754.JPG
Bruce
ENJAY49
#7 Posted : 07 May 2021 21:40:01

Entryway by Woodys, comes together, only needs paint.
DSCN0762.JPG
DSCN0765.JPG
Bruce
goddo
#8 Posted : 07 May 2021 22:50:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Very neat and tidy work.
The enhancements really look good.
Chris
admin
#9 Posted : 10 May 2021 06:25:42

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

It’s looking great! My fantasy ship build would be a 1/48 PoF build of the Victory. I had the DeAgostini Victory, started, but I ran into some real problems with the plywood delaminating, due to my desert domicile. So, I’m envious of someone who is building one, and just killing it.

Stay Well,

Mark
Silent_Running
#10 Posted : 10 May 2021 09:25:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

admin wrote:
It’s looking great! My fantasy ship build would be a 1/48 PoF build of the Victory. I had the DeAgostini Victory, started, but I ran into some real problems with the plywood delaminating, due to my desert domicile. So, I’m envious of someone who is building one, and just killing it.

Stay Well,

Mark

Hi Mark,
Have you tried soaking all the plywood in Thompson’s water seal. It’s a product that stops damp penetration in wood but crucially for you it also works in the reverse as it seals in moisture so it stops desiccation of the woods moisture in the desert heat.
Regards
Glenn BigGrin
Silent_Running
#11 Posted : 10 May 2021 09:33:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ENJAY49 wrote:
Hello all, finally made some progress to put up here. I find it really diaappointing as to the quality of the Artesania kit for the price, so took a bit of time to improvise the galleries, and a bit of money, well spent, on the decorartive pieces from Woody's Model Works.
Just a few simple adjustments, seperated the bottom side galleries to offset them from the top 2, added black panels under the side ballusters, made a new roof, and squared off the bottom corners as per photographs from the ship. Also added Woody's companionway, (added the middle rail myself).
Next up is Woody's bow parts, they look very good.
Only question, 3 1/2 years in, will I ever finish this?

Hi Enjay,
The gallery improvements you’ve done are superb, it’s looking absolutely top notch. With regards to the amount of time you’ve spent on it, don’t worry about it. Building any model is a labour of love, it’s finished when you think it’s finished.
Kind regards
Glenn BigGrin
richard.l
#12 Posted : 10 May 2021 17:43:46

HI Enjay well done with your efforts so far, 3 1/2 years isn't so bad, I started mine in 2010 and am at roughly the same stage as you, it's not a race and as others say it takes as long as it takes. I also like yourself found some of the parts supplied, and the build in the magazine a bit naff, and went with the upgraded parts for the gallery. I'm actually glad I left it so long as these parts weren't available until only very recently I had 8 years off the modelling and at one point considered selling it half done, but I'm glad I kept it and glad I started it again. keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your upgraded bow section, I have also got the upgraded bow section to do and I have just made the bowsprit ready but I have left a few loose ends I need to tie up first.
ENJAY49
#13 Posted : 10 May 2021 20:33:02

Thanks, everyone. for the really nice replies. Now about to turn 72, I'm (half) joking about finishing her. Like you, richard, I started my Mamoli Constitution, put away for 4 or 5 years as life got in the way, ended up being 10 years from start to finally getting her in a case. I had the same thought, glad I waited to finish the galleries. Again, thanks to all.
thumbnail_image(1).jpg
Bruce