Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Fokker DR1 Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 03 September 2021 13:44:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This arrived today, The Fokker DR1 1:16 scale by Model Airways. Built the Sopwith some time ago and this will make a nice addition.

Did build the Hachette Fokker many years ago 1:8 scale but this scale will best suit as a pair with the Sopwith

Kit looks fine lots of 1:1 scale plans
Parts list to check off
Instruction Manual 48 pages?!
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
F1.jpg
F2.jpg
F3.jpg
F4.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
tigerace
#2 Posted : 03 September 2021 15:43:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow looks a mind boggling kitDrool Drool looking forward to seeing it built upBigGrin

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

GilShapley
#3 Posted : 03 September 2021 19:22:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Step one, sort the components into sections. They where all together in a large plastic bag. Time spent sorting now will save time as the build progresses and enable me to check I have all the bits.
F5.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Kev the Modeller
#4 Posted : 04 September 2021 16:53:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

A very nice kit Gil. I have heard and read many good things about these 'Model Airways' kits and that they build into finely detailed models? I wish you success with the build and as an aviation fan, I will most definitely be following this build with great interest.

Well done for putting up another much needed diary in the Aviation section of the forum! Drool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 04 September 2021 18:37:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Loved this kit ever since Andy, arpurchase, built it. Looking forward to seeing yours come together.Cool ThumpUp

Mark
GilShapley
#6 Posted : 05 September 2021 13:59:16

And so it begins. Have had a good look at the parts. There will be some trimming/sanding of metal parts as to be expected. The wooden frame parts are .9mm, so care will be needed when handling during construction.

1st part to construct is the lower wing. In preparation for the start I have "modified" a battery driven nail file by replacing the supplied sandpaper with a finer 320 grit. This will be useful with the number of components involved (No 1 in the attached picture.)I Have replaced all the blades in the craft knives with new (No 2) and made a "file" of 320 grit paper for general sanding of the woodwork, will need to remove the burn marks (no 3)This is disposable and can be cut to length as required
F5.jpg
F6.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#7 Posted : 09 September 2021 16:07:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That looks like a lot of white metal parts that'll need cleaning up Gil, you're gonna be busy for a while doing that lot! I notice also that you have some
nice little turnbuckles for the rigging included in the kit? They'll add a nice bit of realism to the finished model when it's fully rigged?

Gonna be a cool model Gil, will be watching your progress. Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 11 September 2021 08:50:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Plenty to get on with, count me as one of your followers.

Mark
darbyvet
#9 Posted : 11 September 2021 18:40:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

I am sure you will turn this into a masterpiece.I built this several years ago.It was a bear to build.The hardest part was getting the frame to be square.The top cowling also doesnt fit well so I scratchbuilt mine.But with your skills Gil this will be a walk in the aprk.

Carl

GilShapley
#10 Posted : 15 September 2021 09:03:38

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. This will be a "challenge" I can see me initiating my "walk away policy" so it doesn't end up in the bin. There are numerous metal parts to clean/paint e.g. there are 50+ turnbuckles which all needed drilling out twice with a .9mm drill to ensure the holes where clear.
I have started on the wings and will post pictures once I have completed the first stage for all three.The instruction (in my humble opinion) could do with less words and more pictures. I suppose I have been spoilt with previous deag builds

Keep safe and have a good day

Gil
tigerace
#11 Posted : 15 September 2021 11:00:31

Nice start everything ready to go Gil looking forward to your progress Drool Drool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

darbyvet
#12 Posted : 15 September 2021 21:27:59

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Yes model airways metal parts are not exactly great.I ended up replacing the turnbuckles on mine. The wings went together perfectly.Lining up the fuselage and keeping it square triggered a few "walk away" moments with me.

Carl
Kev the Modeller
#13 Posted : 17 September 2021 13:29:46

Good luck with the build Gil, really looking forward to seeing this start to take shape. Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
GilShapley
#14 Posted : 22 September 2021 19:59:27

Finally got started
Stage one. Started on the three wings. Have assembled the wings as far as the basic skeleton, more to add to them next. I am drawing from my experience from when I built the Hachette Fokker which does help. Have to be careful as the parts are fragile.

Pictures attached
F12.jpg
F13.jpg
F14.jpg
tf64
#15 Posted : 22 September 2021 20:40:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gil,

Good clean start.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

darbyvet
#16 Posted : 24 September 2021 20:21:03

Looks like your usual precision and meticulous work .Great start.

Carl
GilShapley
#17 Posted : 25 September 2021 07:03:21

Thanks for the comments guys. I am finding the "instructions" rather vague, several reads are required and lots of cups of tea

Confused BigGrin Confused BigGrin Confused BigGrin

Be safe one and all

Gil
GilShapley
#18 Posted : 04 October 2021 16:10:16

Had some trouble in forming the leading edge covers for the wings. They are made of .4mm of ply which need to be bent into a semi circular shape. May have to rethink this part of the build. The structure of the wings is fragile so I have added some additional spars along the length of each wing. Utilising the holes in the provided spars I have inserted some spars along the whole length of each wing. I was looking for some 3mm dowel, but found some kebab sticks in my BBQ kit which fit the bill ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp This is in addition to the rib bracing tape

Have now started on the fuselage, lots of cleaning up of the castings required. The parts are very malleable so are easy the reshape where necessary. Some are somewhat out of shape Slow progress on this build.

Picture attached
F15.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#19 Posted : 04 October 2021 18:56:19

Nice work with putting those delicate wings spars and ribs together Gil, all looking very neat and straight. With the troublesome 0.4mm ply leading edges, have you tried soaking the sheets in warm water first then when they are more soft and pliable, with less tendency to split, bend them slowly and carefully around the leading edges and clamp in place (or use lots of strong elastic bands, one per rib), leaving them until they have fully dried and retained the curved shape, and then glue in place? Be careful that the water isn't too hot when you soak them or you could soften the glue that binds the ply layers and it may end up delaminating?

Keep up the good work Gil. Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
darbyvet
#20 Posted : 04 October 2021 19:03:57

nice work.The biggest issues with this kit IMO is the soft metal fuselage sections.What I found was they bent out of shape very easily and it was virtually impossible to keep the fueslage straight as the parts would start to warp as soon as any pressure was placed on them. I ended up taping the sections to the wooden jig aft I had them as straight as possible and then use 5 min eposy on each joint
between the stringers and the fuselage sections. Styrene fuselage sectinos would be far superior.If I were to ever build this kit again I would cast the fuelage sections in resin or make them out of brass and solder them.