Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

USS Constitution Stage 73 bending frames Options
Flyteach
#1 Posted : 12 September 2021 17:26:24

Groups: Registered

The instructions say to cut the wire in one 126mm and five 63mm lengths. From the picture, when bent with two 30mm and one 34mm length, even with some curve, that's not going to add up to 126mm. When I start bending, it is going to be WAY too large to fit as shown in the picture E. I just double checked, and the latest version of the PDF still has these dimensions, so is there something I'm missing?
Thanks!
Flyteach
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 12 September 2021 21:37:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Flyteach, BigGrin

My interpretation (having studied the pics from the pdf) is you make the parts to those dimensions "from" the lengths given not to the whole length. Reason is that you would have to bend the wire with extreme accuracy if it was the exact length. The extra length allows you to trim to size. Also the five parts with the single bends will not all be exactly the same, as they are fixed around an oblong frame on the deck and not a square one.

Take a look at the "Official Build" in the link below and I think this will show what I mean:

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=27333

Hope this is of some assistance.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Flyteach
#3 Posted : 13 September 2021 03:14:18

Groups: Registered

Derek,
Yes, that helps. I forgot to check the official build pics before posting. I guess I just expected the instructions to say "trim to fit" or something like that. I'm a literal type of guy, so I can follow instructions well, sometimes too well.
And yes, I also did the math on that fifth wire since it doesn't come from the corner. It's falling into place now.
Flyteach/Jim