Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Fokker DR1 Options
GilShapley
#21 Posted : 11 October 2021 12:15:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Not had much success with the leading edges provided for this kit. I have soaked and bent to shape but cannot seem to get the correct shape. Don't want to apply too much pressure as they are only .4mm ply. So change of plan, I have purchased some .4mm aluminium sheets (Thank you Cornwall Models) and using the provided cutouts as templates have cutout replacements. Hopefully I will have more success with these.

Will let you know
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
F12.jpg
F13.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Kev the Modeller
#22 Posted : 17 October 2021 13:52:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

You know Gil it did cross my mind whether it might be easier to use thin aluminium sheet, but wondered whether it might not be better to use the thin ply in order to retain that 'natural wood' look, but I suppose you could always fit the more pliable and easier to work with metal sheet and then just paint it to look like wood - problem solved?!

Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out Gil, keep up the good work. Very interesting stuff! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Plymouth57
#23 Posted : 17 October 2021 21:14:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gil.
Been watching this coming along and very impressed!Cool With regards to the leading edge problem, I just had a thought too. When I built my very first wooden ship, the Constructo "Grimsby" (Supposed to be an 'English Frigate' but with only 12 guns more of a Gun Brig really) I had some problems with bending the planking which was a single layer of 2mm quite hard wood (sapele?) Following advice in a 'how to' book I soaked the planks for a few hours in household ammonia - evil smelly stuff, even with no sense of smellCrying but it did the trick well! I was wondering if, instead of the plywood you could use thin wood veneer as I did on the upper cockpit area on my card model Sopwith Pup but instead of trying to bend it after soaking, over the actual wings, sand a strip of solid wood to the same curve as the leading edge then bend the veneer around that holding it in place with rubber bands or similar. Let the ammonia evaporate (preferably out in the shed or garage!) When dry the veneer would stay in the required shape ready for gluing in place.
Modern books on planking don't usually mention ammonia anymore for obvious reasons but it does really soften wood! Probably not plywood though as Kev said too much softening could de-laminate the stuff hence trying veneer instead.

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
GilShapley
#24 Posted : 05 December 2021 12:47:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Time for an update on this “challenging” build. Could not get on with the leading edges provided for the top wing so went down the aluminium route. Happy with the result so far, will need to tidy up the paint.
This is one fragile kit, Have made some mods. I have added additional support to the wings by inserting a dowel rod through the foremost hole in the ribs. This also helps with the alignment. The timber provided for the cap strips was too fragile and snapped when I tried to glue them in position. Have replaced with slightly thicker wood strips. Rib twist/leading edge bracing, insufficient length provided, have been able to match.
The Ailerons for the top wing have been attached with some brackets I made from some aluminium strips. Did not like the tape provided with the kit
Have started on the fuselage. Will continue once I can get my head around the vague instructions
F18.jpg
F17.jpg
F19.jpg
F20.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
darbyvet
#25 Posted : 06 December 2021 21:40:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Great work.The fuselage is incredibly frustrating to get everything lined up properly because the metal is so soft.I ended up using epoxy on all the joints. you are making a superb job of it as always.

Carl

Gibbo
#26 Posted : 07 December 2021 01:06:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Wow Gil this looks like a fiddly project, looking forward to seeing it come together.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
GilShapley
#27 Posted : 07 December 2021 10:23:48

I am looking forward to it staying together! I was hoping that superglue would do the trick and whilst it does seem to be ok on some joints I think I shall have to do the same as Carl and use epoxy.
I am disappointed at the quality of some of the fittings, the "metal" is very soft and bends easily, and some fittings do not seem to be complete

They say patients is a virtue

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Markwarren
#28 Posted : 08 December 2021 10:06:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Gibbo
#29 Posted : 09 December 2021 00:49:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

GilShapley wrote:
I am looking forward to it staying together! I was hoping that superglue would do the trick and whilst it does seem to be ok on some joints I think I shall have to do the same as Carl and use epoxy.
I am disappointed at the quality of some of the fittings, the "metal" is very soft and bends easily, and some fittings do not seem to be complete

They say patients is a virtue

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Let's hope you're not a patient somewhere after this build LOL LOL
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
GilShapley
#30 Posted : 09 December 2021 09:29:52

Wrong picture added so reposted

Have added additional supports to the airframe to avoid the joints parting

Hope this works

ThumpUp ThumpUp
F22.jpg
GilShapley
#31 Posted : 24 December 2021 11:41:58

Been a slow start to this build. Hopefully will be able to get more done in the new year (Once the grandchildren have gone back to school)

Have assembled the Rudder Tail and elevator. Does not help when you drop a part assembled piece and have to start again (oops) There are 32 separate components to these parts. Its a process of glue a bit and wait, then add more parts

The Aileron/Elevator control is ready to be installed in the airframe (once I get my mind around the instructions)

Pictures attached

Have a good Christmas everyone. May Santa fill your stocking with the models on your wish list

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
F23.jpg
F24.jpg
GilShapley
#32 Posted : 09 July 2022 20:58:12

Well I have finally finished this build. Not the most enjoyable build, in fact it is lucky to have survived the bin. Determination and stubbornness replaced my enthusiasm.
Why you may ask? Where to begin? The metal frame and some of the components are made of a very pliable metal. The Airframe in particular is very fragile. Any subsequent “heavy handedness” has resulted in a bent airframe. Most of the components arrived in one bag, there was a list of supplied component and although some of them are obvious the list does not show what any component looks like. My first task was to separate as best I could the components into relevant groupings. Some components seemed incomplete but still usable. The Build instructions consist of an instruction manual together with 5 large technical drawings (1-1 scale) and these are referred to in the build manual. It is the only way you can identify some of the relevant components. I would have liked the manual to have more pictures on the stage under constructing and how it should look when complete and fewer words. As they say a picture speaks a thousand words

Pictures attached.

The finished model will be displayed next to the Sopwith Camel I built some time ago

On to my next build OcCre’s London tram L.C.C.106
F33.jpg
F34.jpg
F35.jpg
F36.jpg
F37.jpg