Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What’s the best advice Options
goddo
#1 Posted : 22 October 2021 11:41:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

As the title suggests, I thought it would lighten the mood round here if I asked what were the best pieces of advice you have been given with regard to ship modelling?
My two most pertinent ones are:
1. Read the instructions properly and if you don’t understand, ask for help.
2. Always pre-drill the holes in rigging blocks and dead eyes. The ones you don’t are the ones that cause the biggest problems later.
I’d be interested to hear what your top tips would be.
Chris.
z8000783
#2 Posted : 22 October 2021 12:09:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

When using masking tape, paint the colour underneath the tape first to stop bleeding.

goddo
#3 Posted : 22 October 2021 12:18:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

z8000783 wrote:

When using masking tape, paint the colour underneath the tape first to stop bleeding.

Good one John.BigGrin BigGrin
GilShapley
#4 Posted : 22 October 2021 17:48:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

After ensuring the holes in blocks are clear by drilling, use a needle threader to pull the thread through the block. It makes the job easier, Its easier to pull the thread through rather than try to push it through

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 22 October 2021 17:49:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

goddo wrote:
z8000783 wrote:

Here`s an addition to the above:

Use a quality masking tape. By the time you`ve had three goes at getting it right with the cheap version it`s cost you more and wasted a heap of your time.

I use:

https://www.diy.com/depa...1m-w-24mm/152707_BQ.prd

Like I said, not cheap, but if when pressed in place run a wet (with water) painting brush along the edge of the tape (wipe of any excess water) and the seal is even better.

I`ve even used this and the same method on the stripes on my cruiser.

PERFICK LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#6 Posted : 23 October 2021 14:37:19

delboy271155 wrote:
goddo wrote:
z8000783 wrote:

Use a quality masking tape. By the time you`ve had three goes at getting it right with the cheap version it`s cost you more and wasted a heap of your time.

I use:

Like I said, not cheap, but if when pressed in place run a wet (with water) painting brush along the edge of the tape (wipe of any excess water) and the seal is even better.

PERFICK LOL

Regards
delboy271155

(Derek)

Just done a quick check and can't seem to find any of this tape narrower than 24mm.
Do you know if it is available in smaller sizes?

delboy271155
#7 Posted : 23 October 2021 16:06:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

goddo wrote:
delboy271155 wrote:
goddo wrote:
z8000783 wrote:

I use:

PERFICK LOL

Regards
delboy271155

(Derek)

Just done a quick check and can't seem to find any of this tape narrower than 24mm.
Do you know if it is available in smaller sizes?

Sorry that`s the smallest size, I just cut it down with a sharp pair of scissors for modelling purposes or use it full width for diy etc.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#8 Posted : 23 October 2021 16:27:09

OK Thanks, Derek.
It's not a problem to cut it down but thought I had missed something.
Chris
ENJAY49
#9 Posted : 14 February 2022 23:01:52

One great help I learned building my Constitution, Chris: run the tip of rigging thread through some ca glue, smear it smooth, snip a point on the end, it's now it's own needle.
Bruce
goddo
#10 Posted : 14 February 2022 23:12:01

ENJAY49 wrote:
One great help Chris: run the tip of rigging thread through some ca glue, smear it smooth, snip a point on the end, it's now it's own needle.

That's a good tip Bruce.
Once the CA glue is dry, I have been snipping the thread at an angle as well which definitely helps with threading.