Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages «<234
Medric Options
Medric
#61 Posted : 24 October 2021 23:50:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

A very long break from working on my HMS Bounty Admiralty kit is about to end. I have been busy during a long hot summer keeping my yard and garden alive. I have all but the last pack 12 in my possession and DeAgostini did me a very big favor on my pack 3 replacement parts. Those parts were not available so they sent me the entire pack 3 ! The long dark days of winter are approaching and my little Montana USA shipyard is about to start up. Looking through all the parts I now have, I have a Hurculean task before me. Standby shipmates.
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
Medric
#62 Posted : 25 October 2021 00:03:57

All those planks ! All those photo etched parts ! And that bag with the ropes in it. A thousand pieces ? All the cannons to build and the deck work. What have I gotten myself into ? It's a good thing that I started on the installment plan to avoid the overwhelming sense of being a boy with his finger in the dike I have now. I've started and now I must see it through.
File Attachment(s):
image.jpeg (127kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
tenderfoot
#63 Posted : 26 October 2021 23:19:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Good to see you back at it and hope the summer was overall enjoyable. And...excellent news on the replacements pack. I too have had similar excellent customer experiences with DeAgostini which is why I have bought into several subscriptions over the years.

Looking forward to your future posts and progress!!!
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Medric
#64 Posted : 27 October 2021 14:51:34

I have never spent this much on a model ever before but eventually was able to tell myself it was a retirement gift to myself. I even wanted to call it off at pack one but my wife talked me out of it. The only place a kit of this quality falls down is in the instructions. Reading instructions on a computer screen is difficult with my poor eyesight. I could print them off but I would use ten gallons of printer ink and four reams of paper. You would sure think that the company could come out with a printed instruction manual along with correctly sized fairing templates now that the full kit is out. I'd be willing to pay a fair price for it. Now that I've said that and now that I've received the remaining packs I must comment on the quality of the parts. Some of these parts are little works of art in themselves. Tenderfoot noted how the belaying pins were so nice and they truly are. Amazing that something that small can be so perfect. The outer stern pieces around the cabin windows are a marvel of precision and beauty. Overall, the precise fit and detail of all the parts are beyond anything I've ever seen. This is what you get when you pay top dollar for something. Only one minor complaint. (Other than the instructions) DeAgostini could exercise just a bit more care in the packaging of the parts for shipping. I have received three packages that were almost crushed by UPS during the shipping process. A little more cushioning material in the box would have been nice even though I was spared any misfortune and the very smallest parts, like the culverin forks, could have been packed tighter. I'm missing one culverin fork but actually have one complete extra due to having that replacement pack three.
But, anyway, anyone reading this who might be on the fence about buying this kit or put off by the price, buy it. This is an exquisite thing.
Theodore Roosevelt