Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Eyes, Mouth and VR not working Options
AdamE
#1 Posted : 31 October 2021 19:57:59

Groups: Registered

Me again!

So latest rescue Robi was in bits when I got him... a half build given up on.

So many issues! Servos in the wrong place, left and right arms on the wrong sides (!), cables squashed etc.

Anyway I have got him to the point where all his joints are moving correctly in test mode, however his mouth and Eyes are not lighting up when he says 'OK'. I have checked the cables against the magazines and they seem correct.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 01 November 2021 17:37:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

So its either the LEDS for the eyes and mouth or their is a problem with the main board.you could try transplanting his head onto a known working robi and see what happens.if the lights still dont weork it must be the LEDs.I will have to look over the manual again.I built my Robi years ago and dont remember how the eyes and mouth are wired.

Carl

AdamE
#3 Posted : 01 November 2021 17:44:52

Thanks I'll try that.

The eyes/mouth plug into the VR board, but as he's not answering either I suspect it's not getting power.
AdamE
#4 Posted : 10 November 2021 14:07:40

OK, so this is a weird one - BOTH the VR board and IR card seem to be faulty!

1. If I plug a known working IR board into the 'dead' VR board the IR board gets no power (no red LED).

2. If I plug the 'dead' IR board into a known working VR board the IR board does not power up either!

3. If I plug a working VR board and working IR board into this Robi it works fine! (so not the wiring).

Is it really possible both the VR and IR are dead?

I noticed some connection points on the VR board called TH1 TH2 TH3. TH2 is GND, and TH1 and 3 I guess are supplying 3.3v and 8v respectively according to the legends on the board. Next is to see if they are giving any power. I can't see any of the tiny fuses/resistors being blown - but I guess i can test them too... SO ANNOYING!!

Oh and I notice Model Space have rebranded and Robi is GONE from their site completely now! I wonder how long this set of forums will survive?
We have a Facebook group set up already if anyone wants to join... Robi Group on Facebook
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 11 November 2021 23:23:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Is your battery OK? If the battery is not fully charged you can see some weird glitches.The stock batteries will sometimes not recharge properly if they discharge below a certain voltage.I would try a known good battery in him first.

Carl

AdamE
#6 Posted : 13 November 2021 12:21:05

darbyvet wrote:
Is your battery OK? If the battery is not fully charged you can see some weird glitches.The stock batteries will sometimes not recharge properly if they discharge below a certain voltage.I would try a known good battery in him first.

Carl

Unfortunately yep - tried several batteries - that work with other VR boards - not sure whats happened to the broken boards Crying
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 14 November 2021 02:27:03

Darn it.Not sure if you can get replacement parts at this point since it has not been offered for years in USA. I think Japan did release a Robi2 , but not sure if the boards are compatible.

Carl

AdamE
#8 Posted : 14 November 2021 23:14:03

darbyvet wrote:
Darn it.Not sure if you can get replacement parts at this point since it has not been offered for years in USA. I think Japan did release a Robi2 , but not sure if the boards are compatible.

Carl

Very unlikely as Model-Space UK has rebranded Deagostini now and Robi has vanished from the site.... I know someone who is STILL waiting for parts from his full kit and will now likely never get them! It is a disgrace the way they treat Robi buyers now.
darbyvet
#9 Posted : 15 November 2021 03:23:03

AdamE wrote:
darbyvet wrote:

Carl

Very unlikely as Model-Space UK has rebranded Deagostini now and Robi has vanished from the site.... I know someone who is STILL waiting for parts from his full kit and will now likely never get them! It is a disgrace the way they treat Robi buyers now.

Robi hasnt been for sale for a while.If the person needing parts needs help he can contact the admin here to see if they can help or have him pm me and I will pass on the information
Carl