Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rear radius rods Options
Brian Whitworth
#1 Posted : 08 April 2021 23:35:29

Groups: Registered

I have just part completed another modification to the GT40. I am not sure if you have noticed that the model has the lower radius rod has been omitted on the rear suspension. well I have managed to include the rods but I think the hardest part will be attaching them to the rear wheel uprights so I will have to cross that bridge when that pack arrives. It is difficult to plan these sort of modifications due to the lack of detail shown on the model overview. ]
Brian Whitworth attached the following image(s):
IMG_1490 resized.JPG
bfam4t6
#2 Posted : 09 April 2021 00:21:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nicely done! I anticipate doing a lot of modding with this kit myself, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with to connect them.
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 09 April 2021 09:11:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Well spotted.
I'm sure this mod will be used by a lot of people.
Keep it going as it's always interesting to read your posts.BigGrin
Brian Whitworth
#4 Posted : 07 November 2021 23:20:12

Just a few more small mods done. All the screws on the rear suspension changed for nuts and bolts, Gear change mechanism on gearbox now more realistic. Coil over shock absorbers altered, Starter motor made and fitted, Oil dip stick fitted, near side coolant water pipe removed and a "Y" pipe made up to run from the inlet manifold to the radiator and lastly a remote oil filter sandwich plate on the nearside of the engine block. I am also doing some modifications to the cylinder heads at the moment. It also looks as though I have an exhaust system to attempt to make as I can't believe what pack 19 will consists of. It is totally wrong to what was fitted to the original car and if I had known this when I ordered the model, I would not have gone ahead with it, so much for authenticity.
At least anyone purchasing the GT40 now will be able to study the build instructions before making their minds up.
File Attachment(s):
IMG_1782 (1).JPG (1,985kb) downloaded 57 time(s).
IMG_1783 (1).JPG (2,083kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
IMG_1790 (1).JPG (2,073kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
IMG_1778 (1).JPG (1,656kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
IMG_1798 (1).JPG (1,894kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
IMG_1819 (1).JPG (2,171kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
GlynD
#5 Posted : 08 November 2021 09:42:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work Brian, I too am very disappointed with some of the glaring omissions on this model given the cost. I know its been "fun" modifying and scratch building parts to make it more authentic but some things are beyond me and like you I might have passed on it before getting in too deep .I would have thought that someone could have had access to an original GT40 if not 1075 to get the basics right.
Its going to be interesting to see if the throttle cable will be included !
bfam4t6
#6 Posted : 09 November 2021 02:31:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice mods Brian! And I agree with the sentiment shared here. The lack of attention to detail in this kit is pretty glaring, and I have a good handful to compare to. From what I can tell, the Mazda Cosmo is much more in line with the level of detail I’d be happy buying in this price range. I say all this not to simply make jabs or be negative, but hopefully to share some constructive criticism with anyone who might have some decision making power. If you can’t tell by my signature, I’m happy to spend money on these toys. But I will draw the line somewhere, and this GT40 is inching awfully close to that somewhere…
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

mortyjeff
#7 Posted : 09 November 2021 03:36:23

Brian,

Good stuff!
Could you please list the hardware sizes?

Thanks
JeffBigGrin
Brian Whitworth
#8 Posted : 12 November 2021 22:48:43

Jeff, I haven't forgotten your request so please bear with me while I sortmit all out and I will post very soon. Regards Brian.
Brian Whitworth
#9 Posted : 13 November 2021 23:47:38

Jeff, as most of the attachment nuts used on the rear suspension 1/2" UNF and the dimension across the nut flats is .875" divided by 8 = .109 the nearest I could find to that 10 BA nut (.117") but the thread on the stud was to loose in the screw hole so I went down in size to 8 BA and made up small studs, screwed them into the chassis gear box mounting hoop to attache the top and bottom suspension arms, At the bottom of the hub upright I used a 12 BA threaded bar with a 12 BA nut at each end but it looked to small so I drilled an 8 BA nut out and glued it over the 12 BA nut. The top coil spring attachment is a 12 BA nut and bolt.
I have also used 12 BA nuts and bolts on the (6 off each side) Rotoflex couplings inner drive shafts.
The coil over shock absorbers I cut the piston rod off just below the upper spring seat drilled and tapped the upper portion 7 BA made a new piston rod up out of stainless steel and screwed it in to the upper portion and because this was now a much smaller diameter I made a alloy sleeve and glued it into the lower piston body and now they look as they should.
The oil filter/ cooler sandwich plate on the near side of the engine and the starter motor are both scratch built on the lathe the measurements I took from my own replica GT40 which may not be the same as 1075, and pipe work I used 12 BA nuts and 1.25mm piano wire and for the pipe work I used the outer casing of electrical wire with the copper strands removed, and lastly the modification I have done on the gear box cross shaft selector mechanism is as that type of gear box using the plastic part supplied and it is held on by a 12 BA nut and bolt.
I hope you can understand my ramblings Jeff but I used BA fasteners because I have plenty of them I am building a 3.5 Inch gauge Britannia class 7 steam locomotive 70013 OLIVER CROMWELL
Regards Brian.
GlynD
#10 Posted : 14 November 2021 10:27:38

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Well this comes under my "some things are beyond me" statement ! No just joking Brian, some more great mods, but why do we not get a starter motor or dipstick ?
Just wondering have you thought of modding the wheels and hubs to have proper threads and "knock on" spinners ?
Brian Whitworth
#11 Posted : 14 November 2021 22:18:21

Jeff, Yes you are right there are numerous mods I would like to do on the model especially the exhaust system. It has been mentioned on the forum before that the GT40 exhaust system is iconic being of the cross over type and not at all like what is in pack 19 ( yet to arrive) but the model is dear enough with out spending loads more cash on it. I have had the same with the replica GT40 when I started on it back in 1986 I was told that I could build it and have it on the road for £7.5 thousand pounds. that didn't work out I have spent over £40 thousand since then and it is only now that it just needs the ride height setting and it is finished or at least I hope so. Its a good job that I don't smoke or drink or I would never get it done.
regards, Brian.
semaj
#12 Posted : 18 November 2021 12:15:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work! I honestly can't believe what they have done with the exhaust system. Its not just a little bit 9f detail, it's completely and utterly wrong, and ford would never allow this as a so called officially licenced product. I mean its probably the most iconic part of the engine
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'