Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

cce427 Options
cce427
#1 Posted : 16 November 2021 17:39:34

Groups: Registered

I am not going to moan anymore about this kit, as an engineer I have never had to do so much fettling to make things fit on a kit of the vast cost.

Just curious, the undercarriage is heavy and will be fixed retracted so not really a problem but can anyone tell me how they fixed a heavy piece of metal with a 3 sided large hole in the end to a small stub ? ok I have the epoxi out as you can see after 4 diferent sets of covers I had the glue the best ones on as the screw holes were nowhere near lineup. also no mention of how to link without a servo.
cce427 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0554.JPG
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 16 November 2021 20:19:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi cce427, BigGrin (Sorry don`t know you`re name)

I`m an old duffer retired engineer and not as far through the Spitfire as yourself, but have some observations.

Referring to the official build https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=topics&f=139 I`ve noticed that there are some glaring differences between the mounting points of the struts to covers from Left to Right. Could this be part of your issues?

As for the "built without a servo" I`m seeing that it can only be built with the U/C up or down, in which case the U/C can be fixed permanently in either position with adhesive.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

cce427
#3 Posted : 18 November 2021 17:28:16

Groups: Registered

The struts to cover match is apauling for such an expensive build, I complained and they sent me another set, then another, then another claiming it was a moulding error, none of them came close to lining up, I made better mouldings in metalwork at school 50 years ago, just tired mass produced moulds. Wait till you start the metal sheeting, a lot of filing, I decided to go the modelers route and use filler in the gaps, it will be painted. BigGrin
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 18 November 2021 19:23:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Again, BigGrin

If there is one good thing to come out of this convo is that you have re-fired my interest in this build.

At this time I cannot comment on the strut fit situation until I get hands on, but as for the plating I offer this comment:

As the frames are of wooden construction nobody is going to build the frames to an accuracy where every one will be built with such accuracy that the skin panels can be made to an exact size, hence the need for filing adjustments to get them to fit. When I built the DC3 I had to get a single metal plate to bend in three different directions and get a tight fit around wing root castings. It was a darned hard task verging on a nightmare.

The Spitfire, like the DC3 needs some very careful and time consuming work to get the best results. Should those results not be satisfactory, then as you say its a filler and paint job.

This is by no way a criticism of your skills, more an observation of what the general people skills are for this type of kit.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"