Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Painting the Ekeing Rail Options
z8000783
#1 Posted : 01 December 2021 11:00:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

A word of advice from the great and the good please . . .

I have been painting the blue strips on the various rails at the bow of the ship and the time has come to do the ekeing rail. It's not been too difficult so far using masking tape but now comes a trick part.

I don't want to paint it free hand as is usually the case, if they are not perfect, they look rubbish.

Any thoughts on how I could do this and get a good result?

goddo
#2 Posted : 01 December 2021 16:49:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Hi John,
As far as I know, masking tape is the only way, if a bit tedious to get right.
Paint the whole thing blue, run masking tape down the middle and paint the exposed parts ochre yellow.
By the way...not great or good but just a suggestion BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Chris
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 01 December 2021 21:35:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello John.
I was lucky on my smaller scale DelPrado Victory - that rail was a metal casting with a recessed middle - it made painting the blue much easier!Cool
I agree the masking tape is probably the only way, I can think of maybe a couple of alternatives but I've not tried them myself on the rail.
First is to use decal paper and paint a strip in the blue before cutting it to the correct width. I did use this method on my Victory's vertical ribs on the bow decoration but they were straight lines. Whether the decals would curve with decalfix or similar I don't know.
The other method would be to try a lining pen. I've seen some in the Hobbies or Hobby's catalogues and you would basically roll the paint charged pen along the side of the rail using the pen's stand off gizmo to keep the paint line down the centre of the rail. Again, I've never tried that (or possess such a pen!)
Best of luck whichever way you try!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
z8000783
#4 Posted : 05 December 2021 11:16:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks, Chris & Robin for getting back on this.

I must say, it's a bit different from the old days when there would have been dozens of responses. I guess most have finished their builds by now.

Anyway I bit the bullet and tried painting with the 1 mm masking tape. Results weren't too bad, so I will go with these now.

goddo
#5 Posted : 05 December 2021 12:03:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Good result John.
Yours looks so much better than mine.
Chris
Gibbo
#6 Posted : 06 December 2021 01:48:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very nice indeed, food for thought when i come to do mine.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
z8000783
#7 Posted : 07 December 2021 09:48:30

Thanks for the nice comments Chris and Paul.

In the end, it was much easier than I feared. The 1 mm tape I used had a little give in it, but I made the mistake of using two pieces instead of one. I ran one piece along the straight section to the bend and then ran the other from the top to meet the first section at the bend, just cutting back the overlap. That is why you can see a slight bump in the blue at the corner. Really though there was no need, with careful easing around the bend, I could have made it a single section.

I painted the bare wood yellow first and then painted the blue strip down the middle. Next came the tape which I completely covered with French blue to stop the bleeding before finishing off with 3 coats of thinned yellow.

Gandale
#8 Posted : 07 December 2021 15:19:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

John, you may find this product useful for doing tasks such as this. It is flexible, meaning it can take curves a lot easier than normal masking tape. I've used it a few times and found it worked well for me....

Flexible masking tape

Hope it helps..

Regards

Alan