Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
USS Constitution by Tenderfoot Options
tenderfoot
#1 Posted : 20 December 2021 23:59:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

The logistics issues plaguing our world appear to be persistent for at least the next several months. Sadly, this has greatly reduced, and in some instances completely stopped the ability to buy model subscriptions and in some cases full kits. This will not last forever, but in the meantime it is important that we model with what we can get our hands on or, in this case, what we already have.

I started this build back in October, 2018 and made some good and steady progress for the first year or so. Within that time I got to where I was finishing up the standing rigging and pretty much only had the ratlines left before I moved onto the running rigging and sails. Unfortunately, life got in the way as it often does and this ship sat in its current state since pretty much the beginning of these Covid years. Or, from an optimists perspective, fortunately this ship has sat since then and it now gives me the opportunity to finish it up and share the remaining work online.
tenderfoot attached the following image(s):
IMG_0976.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#2 Posted : 21 December 2021 00:01:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Before I can go anywhere on this thing it needs a serious cleaning. Over a year of dust is pretty impressive, but not desirable. So for the next couple days my modeling adventures will be with a soft brush, canned air, toothpicks, q-tips, and a small bit of water. This is, by far, my least favorite thing to do. But my oh my, when you see the state of things as they currently stand with this build there is no way around it...a good cleaning is the first order of business.

And since I haven't started this build until now, it is a good time to share some photos from various angles to give you an idea of what has been done...and how much dust collected on this poor thing.
IMG_0963.jpg
IMG_0964.jpg
IMG_0965.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg
IMG_0967.jpg
IMG_0968.jpg
IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0970.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#3 Posted : 21 December 2021 00:03:37

And here are some additional shots. Again...LOTS OF DUST
IMG_0971.jpg
IMG_0972.jpg
IMG_0973.jpg
IMG_0974.jpg
IMG_0975.jpg
IMG_0979.jpg
IMG_0980.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#4 Posted : 21 December 2021 00:08:12

As you can see from the previous photos, there is a lot of cleaning to do before I do anything else. To give you an idea, here is a before and after shot of some of the shrouds on the mainmast. The after photo was after about 10 minutes of work in that particular area and there is still a bit more cleaning to do. This is going to take some time.

I am thinking about doing a tutorial on model ship cleaning since it is necessary every so often. And this would have been a good use case. However, I also have my completed Victory build that I never encased and it hasn't been cleaned in two years so I will instead use the Victory for a cleaning tutorial. So now it is time to get into this thing and de-dust it as best I can.
IMG_0981.jpg
IMG_0982.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#5 Posted : 21 December 2021 00:15:53

A little more background - this was my second attempt at a scale model sailing vessel. My first was the HMS Victory sold here by DeAgostini. On the Victory I stuck with the instructions and did not modify much, if anything that I can recall.

On the Connie I decided to step up my game and started some mods right from the get go. As we go along in this diary I will take some shots and add some text to describe some of what I did.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Gibbo
#6 Posted : 21 December 2021 00:34:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Wow that's a world of difference already, mine's kept in a cupboard for that very reason, but the masts are not on yet so thanks for that, some forward planning required.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 21 December 2021 00:59:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Some years ago I made a post about an airbrush that was meant for gentle dust cleaning of models and it cost only a few pounds. Unfortunately I can`t find said post, but this link shows what I mean:

https://www.everythingai...er-by-harder-steenbeck/

This as you can see is not a cheap version, but I`m sure a web search will find cheaper.

Please do not use your normal painting airbrush as it will suck in all the dust and debris you are trying to remove, causing all sorts of damage to your prestigious (expensive) air brush.

Something along the lines of this will remove dust and debris, while giving you the control over the air flow that you will not get with an aerosol dusting can that could do more harm than good.

Hope this gives you something to look at and make the cleaning job that little bit easier.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tenderfoot
#8 Posted : 21 December 2021 14:46:55

Gibbo wrote:
Wow that's a world of difference already, mine's kept in a cupboard for that very reason, but the masts are not on yet so thanks for that, some forward planning required.

It just amazes me how the dust gets into anything that isn’t sealed. Cleaning this won’t be too bad as it forces me to look over the entire ship and regain some context of what needs to be done to finish it up.

As for the other ship, HMS Victory, that is going to be a challenge. Should have built a display case for that one n day one. Oh well, no damage done and just needs some TLC. When spring arrives I will definitively build a case for each of these.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#9 Posted : 21 December 2021 14:51:36

delboy271155 wrote:
Some years ago I made a post about an airbrush that was meant for gentle dust cleaning of models and it cost only a few pounds. Unfortunately I can`t find said post, but this link shows what I mean:

That is exactly what I needed! The canned air scares the bijeebies out of me as I am constantly waiting for a piece of the ship to go flying across the room. Thanks for the link…I have just ordered one from a nearby seller.

I did use my airbrush at one time to clean out a computer. Yeah, that was a bad idea. Didn’t realize it at the time but the intake for the paint had sucked in a great deal of dust. When I went to paint something I ended up with a clog that cost me a tip and a good bit of time cleaning.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

delboy271155
#10 Posted : 21 December 2021 22:41:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

tenderfoot wrote:
delboy271155 wrote:

That is exactly what I needed! The canned air scares the bijeebies out of me as I am constantly waiting for a piece of the ship to go flying across the room. Thanks for the link…I have just ordered one from a nearby seller.

I did use my airbrush at one time to clean out a computer. Yeah, that was a bad idea. Didn’t realize it at the time but the intake for the paint had sucked in a great deal of dust. When I went to paint something I ended up with a clog that cost me a tip and a good bit of time cleaning.

So happy to have helped.

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tenderfoot
#11 Posted : 22 December 2021 20:29:37

I am still plugging away at cleaning the Connie and getting a good look at what I did. As I was cleaning the chainplates one thing kept bothering me - the way I installed them. I have them all perpendicular where they should be at the same angle as the shroud line.

This is my second build of a large sailing ship so I have a lot to learn and at the time I did not know better. I just went with what I thought looked good to me. Now that I am seeing it again after two years, and with the knowledge I now have, it doesn't look right at all. So I have decided to correct them.

I will post the results as I go along. Also, the kit called for a simple wire wrapped around a nail to mimic the chains. I did not like the look of that at all and I still don't. So I made my own chain plates. I will also include a post or two soon that shows how I made those.
IMG_1429.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Gibbo
#12 Posted : 23 December 2021 01:14:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I'm looking forward to seeing the mods on your chain plates, and look after that Beautiful Bounty.
Regards
Paul
tenderfoot
#13 Posted : 29 December 2021 00:33:06

Gibbo wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the mods on your chain plates, and look after that Beautiful Bounty.
Regards
Paul

Thank you for your kind words Paul and looking forward to having you follow along.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#14 Posted : 29 December 2021 00:39:31

It took me about a week of cleaning - an hour here and there every day or so - and the Connie was clean. On the plus side, I also cleaned some other models I have that have been collecting dust as well.

Once clean, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, I started working on adjusting the chain plates so they align properly with the shrouds. I started by pulling the nails from each chain plate carefully. I used a sprue cutter and carefully worked it under the head of the nail and then pulled directly away from the hull. I made sure not to try to lever the nail out of place as that would definitely put a dink in the wood of the hull. It only took a few minutes to do this to one side of the ship.

I then took some scrap pieces of wood and put them in place so as to hold the chain plates away from the hull. I was initially going to try to slide the chainplates back up through the plank, but they were in there just a bit too tight in most cases. After I had the plates lifted I could then asses the situation, and it wasn't good.

First off, I noticed that the poly had started peeling away in the areas where the chain plates had been attached to the hull. You can see this in the image below circled in green. This was not a good sign. I took a soft brush and tried to carefully work away the raised poly only to find that it just kept peeling further and further and worst of all...it was doing so way to easily. This could only mean that I had mistakingly applied a coat of poly over a previous one without any sanding. Not sure how I managed that, but I did. I will chock it up to a novice mistake as this was only my second build - gotta go easy on myself.
IMG_1007.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#15 Posted : 29 December 2021 00:42:30

Second thing I noticed was that I had a lot of nail holes I would need to fill in. In most cases the chain plates would not rest in the same spot and those old nail holes would then be visible. I also felt they were a bit to large to simply cover with some paint. Additionally, I found some extra holes where, I imagine, I had tried and failed to attach the plates in the past...or...I put a few in place and tweaked them later. Regardless, there are extra holes and since I am the only in this house that has worked on this thing it is only I who can be blamed. You can see in the image below how there should only be 6 nail holes but there are obviously many more. Either way, need to fill them in before I go further.
IMG_1007_b.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#16 Posted : 29 December 2021 00:48:57

Now that I had an idea of what kind of repair work needed to be done I started to remove all that improperly applied poly. This was an awfully tedious process but thankfully it was removable with a small soft paint brush for the most part. In the nooks and crannies I did need to follow up with a sharp blade and scrape away. I took on the port side first and it took me the better part of four hours to get the poly removed. I then spent about an hour going back over the entire area with some 600 grit sandpaper. Of course, throughout the process I was constantly cleaning with a brush. That poly really picks up the static and sticks to everything and can be a real pain to wipe away.

You will also note that a couple sections of the white whales ( the white stripe) are missing. These popped away when removing the nails from the chain plates so they were not effectively installed to begin with. Again, my second build and a lesson learned. I simply marked these two pieces so I knew how they went back into place and will reattach them a bit later.

After about 5 hours of scraping, brushing, and cleaning the end result was pretty satisfactory. At first it hurt my should a bit to look at what had been done because it was all looking so good just a week ago. However, I do think it is worth the effort as the improperly installed chain plates would have bothered me endlessly.
IMG_1008.jpg
IMG_1009.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Gibbo
#17 Posted : 29 December 2021 03:33:27

The last two photos really show it off, the position off the chains really make a difference and you can see it on these two photos, to anybody else looking at it they're gonna go "Wow that's an amazing the level of detail" but as a modeller you look at it and go "that's not right, i'm not happy with it", so you change it, for me being inspired by other people and their attention to detail is why i'm always looking to up my game.
tenderfoot
#18 Posted : 30 December 2021 03:10:43

Gibbo wrote:
The last two photos really show it off, the position off the chains really make a difference and you can see it on these two photos, to anybody else looking at it they're gonna go "Wow that's an amazing the level of detail" but as a modeller you look at it and go "that's not right, i'm not happy with it", so you change it, for me being inspired by other people and their attention to detail is why i'm always looking to up my game.

Agree 100%. As I have improved at building these things I find myself seeing details that I would never have noticed before - the types of details related to historical accuracy as well as cleanliness of work. I also find myself taking things much slower than I used to. I now really enjoy looking at something that is completed knowing the time, effort, and love that went into it.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#19 Posted : 30 December 2021 03:15:27

Because I now have a better understanding of how the actual ships were built I am completely happy that I have undertaken the effort to rework the chainplates for the Connie. The next step was filling in the old nail holes. To do this I simply mixed a bit of saw dust I made from a piece of scrap wood rubbed vigorously over some mid-grain sandpaper with a small bit of watered down wood glue until I got the consistency I needed. It actually needed to be a bit runny to ensure it would work itself well into the little pin holes - using a standard wood filler would have been messy and difficult to work into those holes.

I applied the filler with an old paint brush. After waiting only a couple minutes I then went back with the same brush but this time with a bit of clean water and carefully worked away any extra wood filler. Was pretty happy with the results (shown in green circles below) but a bit disappointed that I completely missed a hole (shown by the green arrow below). But that was a quick fix as well.

Now on to taping and re-painting.
IMG_1010.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#20 Posted : 30 December 2021 03:22:23

I also picked up a copy of The Anatomy of the Ship - The 44-Gun Frigate USS Constitution by Karl Heinz Marquardt. On a recent build I just completed (HMS Bounty by DeAgostini) I grabbed the related book for the Bounty and it was a fantastic find. It really helped me understand the history of the ship, the workings, rigging, decking, etc. These are marvelous books if you are truly interested in the details of the ship you are working on.

Having quickly flipped through the book one thing struck me immediately - the painting scheme for the hull steps. I had painted all of the steps white. In reality, they would have been black where the hull was black, and white where the hull was white. Now, the Constitution did change over time due to overhauls so this may not be the actual original scheme - I believe the original Constitution used the standard mustard yellow paint instead of white. But I really like the look of the white on black and it has become synonymous with the Constitution, so I am staying with it. And the cover of the book goes with the white and black - and I do like those books.

So I will also repaint the steps and add some black in the areas marked by green below.
IMG_1011.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS: