Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

A Christmas Cutie Options
Plymouth57
#1 Posted : 15 November 2021 22:33:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

A Christmas Cutie!

There have been a few brave modellers here on ModelSpace who have ventured into the dark realms of paper/card modelling, Budgie with his fantastic up-scaled Great War German Battle-Cruiser SMS Scharnhorst and Ken with his paper conversion of the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise into plasticard (of great interest to me as I have a British Battle-Cruiser of my own lined up for the same treatment), there was even some bloke who went to town on a paper and card Sopwith Pup (or two)!BigGrin
For those who have ever thought of dabbling in this genre, there is a brilliant website hosted by the Canon company (of camera and printer fame, not big guns) called Creative Park, just enter creative park into your search engine and then click on Papercraft to reach the categories. This site is packed full of extraordinary paper and card models from the very simple beginners models for children through to very complicated and highly detailed kits including animals and birds, dinosaurs, vehicles and dioramas – there is a huge collection of architectural models including all the main landmarks from Big Ben to the Sydney Opera House, Historic Japanese Castles and some incredible looking Japanese and Chinese Temples. The huge Cologne Cathedral for example consists of forty three sheets of A4 with a further twenty one sheets of instructions!Blink
And the best thing about these kits is – they’re absolutely free! You simply go to the kit you like and download the sheets to print them off. The downloads usually come in two sections; the actual parts to cut out and glue, and the build instructions to go with them. Some of the larger architectural models may have multiple parts downloads because of the sheer amount of pages.
As Christmas is rapidly approaching, (and I’m currently stuck waiting for a couple of new paints for the Ferrari before I can continue) I thought you might like to see (or even try) an example of an ‘easy to mid range’ little kit designed by a genius called Ayumu Saito, of a super cute Christmas Kitten emerging from a Santa’s bootie. This chap has designed many of the animal models on the site.
My first model was a dinky little Shih Tzu puppy and Mum’s recent visitors were so taken with him (and the bigger Koala Bear) that I thought I’d do this one up and hide it in their Christmas box when we send it up to them!BigGrin
Photo 1 shows the finished little chap, being me of course I couldn’t resist coming up with a little ‘enhancement’ which I’ll be adding at the end. The model stands about six inches tall and comes on a single sheet of A4 as seen in Photo 5.
There are three sheets of instructions of which the first one (Photo 2) is a general sheet showing the finished model with a set of tips and guides explaining what the various symbols on the plans mean. These are generally cut lines, mountain or valley fold lines, curving instructions and where to glue positions etc. Photos 3 and 4 show the actual ‘how to’ instructions and I’ll be referring to these as the build progresses. All the kits are copyrighted by Canon and the various designers but are allowed to be downloaded, printed and built, without any hassle.
This will be a real ‘quickie’ compared to my other diaries, probably about three installments – the main head assembly, the body (front legs) and Santa hat, and the Santa Bootie with a fourth one to show my individual ‘optional extras’. Hope you enjoy this appealing festive little chap (at least its something different!BigGrin ) And have a look at the Creative Park site – its packed full!

Robin.
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Christmas Cutie pic 1.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 16 November 2021 21:26:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Robin

That looks neat.

Must take a look on that site you mentioned as this looks like like its going to be the first ever christmas spent on my own, so trying to get my mind in focus for that and to try and plan what i am going to do with myself.

Maybe i will have a look at that big cathedral project you mention.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 17 November 2021 22:35:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for that Tony and sorry to hear you might be alone this year! I hope you'll find a whole lot to interest you on that site, once you start on one of these its very um, time consuming! - the Cathedral! Make sure you've got plenty of ink in your printer!BigGrin

Here's the first section:
Before starting, Photos 6 and 7 illustrate the benefits of using both a good quality card to print on and the better quality print mode on your printer. The example on the left which is the one used in the build was printed in a higher quality on my shiny brand new Epson ET2720 (one of the new eco-tank printers with fill-able ink tanks instead of those ruddy little cartridges) onto 140gm Supersharp coated card. The one on the right was standard quality onto 140gm basic white card. They will both make perfectly good models, but the extra sharpness and brighter colours make all the difference in the final appearance.
So to start the construction, Photo 8 shows the first piece on the instruction sheet. This is the main head section, the red lines indicate tabs that are glued together whilst the green lines show where curves have to first be added to the otherwise flat card. In this piece there is a general curve which forms the back of the head and two curves below the eyes to round off the face area. The actual piece is shown cut away from the A4 sheet in Photo 9 and cut to shape in Photo 10. The parts can be cut out with scissors but I prefer to use a modelling knife with a small pointed scalpel type blade. Its always best to start each paper model with a new blade if possible and where the cut is to remove a deep ‘V’ beside a tab (such as under the eyes seen here) I find it easier to cut from the outer edge into the V on both sides of the cut, starting from the bottom of the V outwards can sometimes tear the card instead of cutting cleanly. The pre-curving of the card can be seen in Photo 11, with the top of the head sitting proud of the mat. The first tab to be glued is the centre fold shown by the white arrow and the join is shown glued together in Photo 12, also illustrating the curve built in to the joint by the pre-folding. The best glue I’ve found is Deluxe Card Glue which I used on the two Sopwith Pups. It is a white PVA type glue which dries clear within a few minutes and has an almost instant ‘grab’ so you have to be accurate when bringing the two surfaces together! (If not, you can pull the two pieces of card apart straight away and re-glue), I apply it to the tabs with a cheapie natural bristle small brush. Despite it being titled a card glue it will also glue wood and plastic and even metal (when gluing it to card).
In Photo 13, the two tabs either side of the central join have been glued creating the rounded back of the head with only the front side tabs, the eyes and the chin at the front to complete. These are shown glued down in Photo 14. The next section is the kitten’s muzzle which follows the same procedure as shown in Photos 15 to 19. Just two simple curves on this part to round off the cheeks. The card can either be curved by finger pressure alone or, sometimes easier, smoothed around a suitable rounded object, for the kitten I used a selection of smooth paintbrush handles to achieve the curves (some are shown later). Where the tabs are passed under the card at a shallow angle as on this piece, a useful tip is to use sharp pointed tweezers to grip the tab along the fold line and then gently rotate the gripping tips to bend the tab down as shown in Photo 19. You can also use the same technique to grip the tab in place when gluing the card together until the glue holds fast (but make sure the tips are really clean and remove any earlier glue ‘splurges’ first!Blink ) Once the muzzle was dry, the top two blue dotted tabs located into the forehead slot and the single tab under the chin went into the slot down there. There’s enough room inside the head to be able to press the glued tabs against the inside of the head with fingertips. With the muzzle firmly glued in place the kitten gains a slightly pointed ‘catcat’ shape to his face as shown in Photo 20.
In the next installment, adding the ears and then moving on to the front legs.

Until then, keep well to All and Happy Modelling!

Robin.
Christmas Cutie pic 2.JPG
Christmas Cutie pic 3.JPG
Christmas Cutie pic 4.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 23 November 2021 21:22:50

Carrying on then from the basic head part we come to the ears. Photo 21 shows both the instruction diagram and the actual parts. As seen in the instruction there is a single curve to the main middle section of each ear with a simple ‘mountain fold’, ie, the printed side is folded down onto the plain back of the cut out shape. Both ears are shown cut out and curved/folded in Photo 22, note here how the tab with the green dot is glued under the printed, opposite side of the ‘inner ear’, when this is done (and it takes a little perseverance to get them to line up properly - have a few dry runs), this imparts a natural concave curve to the ear’s overall shape which can be seen in Photo 23 after the two blue spot tabs have been glued to the inside of the head through the pair of slots. This is a good place to mention another little ‘cheat’, actually its not really a cheat as such as many more complicated paper kits actually tell you to do this!BigGrin When layers of paper or card are overlapped or butted up together on their edges, despite the media being ‘paper thin’Flapper they do still have a thickness which can stand out as a white line against or through the printed parts. In this case, the top edge of the ears is composed of three pieces of card coming together. The solution to avoid the white lines is to pick out or mix up the closest colour you can get and carefully paint it out! In the case of Kitten’s ears I used a bottle of Mig Ochre Brown acrylic which matched pretty well (I used the same technique on the card Sopwith Pups although I was forced to mix and match to achieve the doped linen undersides!)
That completes the kitten’s head and the next step is to make up the front legs and what little of the body is coming out of the boot.
This is a single piece of card as shown in the instructions in Photo 24. There are two opposing curves in this one, a large one which essentially forms the back and neck of the kitten and two smaller curves, one in each leg to round them off. The part is shown in Photo 25 and again, cut out and curved in Photo 26. The small tabs on the sides of the toes overlap and when glued pull the paws into the bowl shape seen from the inside in Photo 27 whilst the two tabs joined by the red arrows once joined and glued produce the front or chest of the kitten which is later covered by the head and chin when the head is fitted on.
In the next instalment that head is fitted on, and we can start on the cute little Santa hat.

Robin.

Just checking, can anybody else get the photo to come up? This is my first posting on my new windows10 machine, the procedure for attaching seemed the same and the text came up ok but I can't get the photo to appear! (More work in progress I think!)
Christmas Cutie pic 5.JPG
Plymouth57
#5 Posted : 15 December 2021 20:58:20

The next step is to glue the head to the front legs. Photo 28 illustrates this in the instruction sheet and is a fairly simple procedure. When the two parts are offered up together it becomes obvious that the tabs on the head (with a blue spot) and the beige coloured tabs on the legs interlock like a kind of dovetail, the head tabs glue to the inside of the legs and the intervening leg tabs glue to the inside of the head, as shown in Photo 29. I found it easiest to glue the leg tabs inside the head one at a time and once they were all stuck, to gently lift the snug fitting head tabs and run a glue covered paint brush underneath them to fix them down too. Once glued, little Cutie has a pair of dainty little paws as shown in Photo 30.
The next part is a little more fiddly – the Santa Hat. This is made from just two pieces as shown in Photos 31 and 32. Once the parts are cut out it is first necessary to induce a curve, a large basic curve to the base of the hat (part 10) and a more delicate curve to each of the ‘bobble’ segments on the top section. These are shown in Photo 33 along with the two paintbrush handles used to form them. This is where it gets a little ‘finnicky’! The bobble is glued only along the very edges of the segments, there are no actual tabs to help locate the parts together. You start by gluing the blue dot tab on the first of the red segments to the inside of it’s neighbour whilst at the same time ensuring that the two bobble segments are curved and touching along their edges. When the red pieces are glued together, use a glue brush to gently ‘paint’ the inside of the bobble joint and let that dry. Then just repeat with the next red section and bobble, working around the hat until the last blue dot tab joins the hat together. It is possible to ‘adjust’ the curvature of the bobble once the hat is dry by carefully ‘squashing’ it down (but be careful not to squash too hard!) The bottom of the hat only has a single tab to glue, the pre-applied curving allowing the piece to form the hollow cone. Once dry (overnight in this case), the top section is passed up through the bottom cone, gluing the blue dot tabs inside it to form the cone of the hat as seen in Photo 34. The remaining two blue dot tabs on the bottom insert into the slots in the forehead and back of the head, being glued down to the inside of the head to fix the hat in place as shown in Photo 35. The shape of the base of the hat now becomes apparent – fitting nice and snugly around the kitten’s ears.
Now comes the fluffy cuff around the top of the Santa Boot, which will surround the kitten when complete. The part is shown before and after cutting out from the card sheet in Photo 36. Before beginning to form the circumference curve by gluing the many small tabs, first it needs a vertical curve in the card by rolling the piece around another large paintbrush handle (or a dowel or tube) shown in Photo 37. In the lower half the first of those little tabs has been glued which begins to form the up and down curve. As this part is glued, it will naturally begin to roll up much smaller than the finished article as seen in Photo 38. There’s no need to worry though as the final pair of tabs opens out that spiral to form the finished ruff as shown in Photo 39.
All that remains now are the two simple pieces of the Santa Boot to make up and then to fix the pieces together.
And that’s for the final installment along with my little up-grade!BigGrin
Until then keep on Modelling!

Robin.
Christmas Cutie pic 6.JPG
Christmas Cutie pic 7.JPG
Plymouth57
#6 Posted : 22 December 2021 21:10:25

The final set of construction tasks is the easiest of the whole model. The first job is to fit and glue the completed kitten into the white ruff, which forms the top of Santa’s boot. There are two tabs which stick up at the top of the ruff, and two ‘cut outs’ on the bottom of the kitten. Because of the shape of the kitten these will only fit in one way with the kitten’s body safely inside the ruff and the front feet sticking over the top. Photo 40 shows the kitten glued inside. The rest of the boot consists of two parts: the upper section, which is shown before and after cutting out in Photo 41 and glued into a cylinder in Photo 42. This has three tabs at the top, one of which is marked with a black star which corresponds to a similar one on the bottom tabs of the ruff as seen in Photo 43. You can either pre-glue both the tabs and the beige areas on the ruff before simply sliding the ruff and boot top together, or just glue the tabs and when stuck, use a stiff brush with glue to slide under the beige areas to glue them to the boot. Either way, once glued together the kitten looks as in Photo 44.
The final part is the actual foot part of the boot, a horseshoe shaped part shown in Photo 45 and cut out in Photo 46. This is just a question of gluing the green spot tabs under the adjacent edges one at a time and bending the label parts to join under the sole where they keep the boot from springing apart. The completed boot bottom is shown in Photo 47. The two tabs at the top then fit into the pair of cut outs in the bottom of the cylinder to create the finished model as shown in Photo 48.
As far as the instructions are concerned, that’s it, and a beautifully cute little model it is too. However! As usual I just couldn’t resist putting a little extra in to it as seen in Photos 49 and 50. This is my little tub of Modelling Paste, which I originally bought as a possible way of forming a smoother engine cowling on my card model Sopwith Pup. That was a few years back now but it’s still perfectly good to use and with the pair of stainless steel tools seen at the bottom I began to apply it around the boot ruff, ‘plastering’ it down to begin with using the flat spatula, and then ‘fluffing’ it up with the pointed tool. I’d actually used it on the Santa hat first, adding the fluffy fringe and improving the bobble on the top. The final ‘up-graded’ Christmas Kitten is shown in Photo 51. There was one other thing I did which I can’t show here as I didn’t remember to take a photo and little Kitten is currently up in Cheshire waiting to make an appearance on Christmas Day!BigGrin That little extra was to paint the entire red boot with Vallejo Scarlet with a few drops of Mig Lucky Extra Matt varnish thrown in too. The result was a lovely matt scarlet boot with all the paper edges painted over, removing the white strips from the thickness of the paper.
This was a lovely little model from the Canon website and an ideal starter to try out the medium. And the cost – basically nothing apart from the card/paper and the ink to print it off with (oh and some suitable card glue).Cool
I hope you have enjoyed this little excursion from ‘serious modelling’ as much as I have, and a Merry Christmas and a safe modelling New Year to you All!

Robin.
Christmas Cutie pic 8.JPG
Christmas Cutie pic 9.JPG
Christmas Cutie pic 10.JPG
Gibbo
#7 Posted : 23 December 2021 00:58:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks great Robin, i'm going to do this for my daughter next Christmas, she loves Christmas and she's a big cat fan and has a cat, the cat cat never comes to my house because my dog is a Saluki and she hunts small furrys and anything cat like, not a good mix.
have a great Christmas mate, all our love and best wishes and give your mum a big hug from us.
Paul & Jo
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.