Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
What modelling goodies has your postman delivered recently? Options
Kev the Modeller
#41 Posted : 31 August 2021 14:30:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Tamiya 1:12 1975 Martini Brabham BT44B

Ordered this last week and just arrived this morning!

Back in the '70s, Tamiya produced a number of kits in regular succession in their 1:12 'Big Scale' Formula 1 range. I was a young apprentice at the time and mad keen on F1, as I still am, and I bought and built every single one in this series as they were released (they were a lot cheaper then, but it's all relative I suppose?!) and I wish I still had them! Anyway, I digress. Having built all of them previously, the one that I've always wanted to build again since my originals gradually disappeared from my life over the years, has been the 'Martini' sponsored Brabham BT44B. To my eye, it's one of the best looking F1 cars ever created, along with the 1967 Eagle Gurney-Weslake that I'm currently building, with it's beautiful wedge shaped chassis around the cockpit and a perfectly shaped nose section and airbox. No flash colour schemes just white with the classic Martini blue and red banding and some elegant pin striping to accentuate the body shape. Add to that the unusual but very lovely black windscreen and it all just looks gorgeous!!

So, when I heard that Tamiya had re-released this kit with some added enhancements such as a small PE sheet for things like the seatbelts and various fasteners PLUS some very nice turned aluminium induction trumpets included with the standard kit and some very nice 'cartograph' decals which are always of a very good quality, I was straight onto the internet and ordered one!! I got it for a price which actually worked out much less than the ridiculous prices that people were asking for the original release of the kit given it's increasing rarity, but which I refused to pay even though I desperately wanted to build one of these again! I hope with this re-release that those greedy people have trouble selling their old kits now that the real thing is back in town?!

I have a sneaky feeling that Tamiya may be embarking on a series of re-releases of the whole series of their old 1:12 scale f1 kits. If they do I will be buying them!

Pictures of the kit and it's contents:

Looks like those rubber tyres might need a coat of silicone oil to remove that awful white bloom, but not a problem and I may even go down the route of making my own rain tyres from resin to replace them anyway? I will also be replacing quite a few parts with resin castings that I intend to make and adding such things as braided hoses, etc. I can't wait to start this but I'm going to hold off for a while to enable me to get enough reference material and scratchbuilding materials to make this a special build and one which I will be taking my time over building. I can see this taking nearly a year to finish once I've started with the mount of detail and upgrading that I want to add to it!

Watch this space, as they say!! DroolDrool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Plymouth57
#42 Posted : 01 September 2021 20:30:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks a lovely kit Kev!Cool Go on, make everything you need in resin - I want to see how others do it too!BigGrin
I'm looking forward to seeing this one under way!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Kev the Modeller
#43 Posted : 02 September 2021 15:00:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Plymouth57 wrote:
That looks a lovely kit Kev!Cool Go on, make everything you need in resin - I want to see how others do it too!BigGrin
I'm looking forward to seeing this one under way!

Robin.

It sure is a nice kit Robin and even though it's still basically the same moulds that they used for the original release back in the '70s, it is not hard to see why Tamiya was regarded as the the top of the tree for quality even back then and still are though they do have some competition from some of the newer kit manufacturers! The moulds seem to have aged very well as there is still very little, if any, flash on the parts!

Really looking forward to building this one again but I won't be rushing into it and will be making a few scratchbuilt masters for various parts for casting some missing or improved parts when I do to take it to the next level. Drool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tigerace
#44 Posted : 02 September 2021 21:07:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent looking kit KevBigGrin look forward to seeing it built up in the futureCool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

tigerace
#45 Posted : 02 September 2021 21:09:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

TRUMPETER 1/16 PANZER 1V AUSF H Well got this off ebay Drool Drool Drool got a great deal on it and it came with some afv modeler extrasDrool Drool Drool

Regards PhilCool
tigerace attached the following image(s):
P1020487 (640x480).jpg
P1020488 (640x480).jpg
P1020508 (640x480).jpg
P1020509 (640x480).jpg
P1020510 (640x480).jpg
P1020511 (640x480).jpg
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

GilShapley
#46 Posted : 03 September 2021 13:40:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This arrived today, The Fokker DR1 1:16 scale by Model Airways. Built the Sopwith some time ago and this will make a nice addition.

Did build the Hachette Fokker many years ago 1:8 scale but this scale will best suit as a pair with the Sopwith

Kit looks fine lots of 1:1 scale plans
Parts list to check off
Instruction Manual 48 pages?!

Will post as I progress
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
F1.jpg
F2.jpg
F3.jpg
F4.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
tf64
#47 Posted : 03 September 2021 14:51:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gil, this is right up my street will you be doing a build Diary

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Kev the Modeller
#48 Posted : 04 September 2021 16:49:10

A couple of very nice kits there Phil and Gil, I love both of them. You are lucky boys and I'm sure you'll both get many hours of fun building them! Drool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tigerace
#49 Posted : 10 September 2021 21:06:50

Kev the Modeller wrote:
A couple of very nice kits there Phil and Gil, I love both of them. You are lucky boys and I'm sure you'll both get many hours of fun building them! Drool ThumpUp

Kev

Thanks KevBigGrin Look what came this morningDrool Drool Drool
tigerace attached the following image(s):
P1020515 (640x480).jpg

Kev the Modeller
#50 Posted : 09 January 2022 15:43:48

Hello all,

At the start of every New Year, I like to treat myself to a new and often expensive kit, for which I will have saved up a few quid every month in the preceding 12 months? Last year, I bought my first Model Factory Hiro (MFH) 1:12 Full Detail kit, the build diary for which you can find here:

https://forum.deagostini....1641737752.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=42551910

I still have the figure to finish for that, which will happen shortly, but I enjoyed that build so much that I've decided to buy myself at least one of their 1:12 Grand Prix car kits each year!

Yesterday, my postie delivered the MFH build for 2022. Kit and contents in photos below.

The kit box and the resin parts:

A zillion white metal parts!:

Two sheets of etched parts:

Pre-printed tyres and machined aluminium wheel rims:

Yellow vacuum moulded windscreens:

Some small bags with detail parts, including some very nice 3D printed decals for the cable ties!:

Kit decal sheets and other material:

I also bought two sets of aftermarket decals for the missing 'Marlboro' sponsor logos. Two just in case I mess up one as these are getting harder to come by!:

Kit pattern sheet for the placement of the mirrors, retaining rivets, etc, and the kit instruction booklet:

Also bought the 'Zero Paints' correct shade of paint for the 'Marlboro' Red, along with some Brilliant White and Grey Micro-filler Primer:

I already have all of these paints but they are well over a year old now so thought it best to buy some fresh paint? Interesting to note that Zero paints now come in plastic bottles? Apparently there was a recurrent problem with the bottles shattering after customers put ball bearings inside to help the mixing when shaking the bottles, which I also do, so that is a very welcome change!

Some info on the McLaren M26 here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_M26

The kit as shown on the Model Factory Hiro website:

https://www.modelfactory...HOP/K664_K665_K666.html

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra