Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

HMS Victory true colours Options
goddo
#1 Posted : 19 August 2021 09:19:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

I expect many of you will have seen this already but I spotted a link this morning.
Enjoy.
Chris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmNXRWtQ-P0 BigGrin BigGrin
ENJAY49
#2 Posted : 11 February 2022 01:59:56

Hi, Chris, this is late but haven't been able to be on here much.
I just finished 2 great books on Trafalgar, for anyone interested, they're "Nelson's Trafalgar", Roy Adkins, full of information on many aspects of life in the navy at the time, & "An Eyewitness to Trafalgar", Tom Pocock. Both have huge collections of letters by the seamen & officers who where there, English, French & Spanish, (some accounts a bit gruesome). Along with "blow by blow" accounts of the battle, facinating reading.
But most interesting, for here, is a passage by an English sailor; "the French ships are just like ours, black with YELLOW stripes"! Ad to this, after seaching for contemporary paintings of Royal Navy ships, by meticulous artists, you'll find the stripes are indeed invariably painted yellow. My Victory will remain yellow (ochre), I think I'll go with the word of one who actually saw it, (trusting he wasn't color blind) despite what "science" says.
Another note, it's said that when the gunports WERE OPENED, it produced the "Nelson chequer". This makes you think, were the port lids then yellow also?
Bruce
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 11 February 2022 21:34:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Many thanks indeed for those book details Bruce - I've just been straight to ebay and found both of them, they're on the way!Cool BigGrin
Mine is also staying in the 'traditional' yellow ochre - I've often wondered if the current colour was the original, or if science got it wrong and that's what it ended up looking like after years of salt spray and ultraviolet. It would be so ironic if that was actually the colour that Nelson took one look at and decided, 'Nah! it's time for a new coat of paint!'BigGrin

Thanks again for those books!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
ENJAY49
#4 Posted : 11 February 2022 23:11:59

Most welcome, Robin, glad you found them,(I've saved quite a bit of money checking Ebay first),we couldn't ask for more in first hand accounts, think you'll enjoy them. Forgot 1 other, "Young Nelsons", refering to young seamen & midshipmen, worth a read.
(Regarding the period paintings,I've painted in oils for many years, if one can't get their colors right, better find a new line of work!)
Bruce