Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<171819
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
Gibbo
#361 Posted : 03 February 2022 17:43:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

tom.ganc wrote:
Wow that looks great, well done.
I was wondering about the cutout you have in the netting and I can see it is to accommodate pulley mounted on the rail. Well in DeAgostini model netting doesn't go all the way to the end...
I'm not sure how it is on the real thing... you got me thinking now but I'm not changing mine now Flapper
I'm getting the shroud cleats and looking to get open and closed heart blocks for the stays and bowsprit rigging as official instructions use double blocks and this weird looking things that suppose to be heart blocks...

Thank you Tom
The shroud cleats i bought woukd be just a bout the right size for 1/84 scale and they have little notches cut into them to accomodate the thread, the other expensive ones from dry dock models have a channel on the underside to seat onto the shrouds but a little bit of filing and hey presto, according to Alan McGowan and John McKay it does go all the way back, and like yourself if i'd already done them i wouldn't change them either.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#362 Posted : 03 February 2022 17:52:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Plymouth57 wrote:
Looking great as usual Paul! (Of course, with my extra wooden bulwarks I managed to avoid all the poop deck ones!!Flapper )
Thinking on the fitting, maybe if you cut a short piece of dowel just a little thinner than the width of the cranes it might be easier to tamp the netting down flat as opposed to the sharp point on the cocktail stick.
Keep them coming, my 'Ol' Vic' fingers are itching!BigGrin

Robin.

Hi Robin
Thanks for reminding me. i did that on the fire bucket rail and the waist rail, how did i forget that, well i suppose it was a few years ago now DOH!! RollEyes
tom.ganc
#363 Posted : 08 February 2022 13:38:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks for that. I shall order them shortly :)
This improvements never end really... I already know what I'd do differently when I had started the build again but this just proves how much progress we all made in our modelling skills. The knowledge of the subject helps massively too :)

Keep us posted
Regards
Tom

Gibbo wrote:
tom.ganc wrote:
Wow that looks great, well done.
I was wondering about the cutout you have in the netting and I can see it is to accommodate pulley mounted on the rail. Well in DeAgostini model netting doesn't go all the way to the end...
I'm not sure how it is on the real thing... you got me thinking now but I'm not changing mine now Flapper
I'm getting the shroud cleats and looking to get open and closed heart blocks for the stays and bowsprit rigging as official instructions use double blocks and this weird looking things that suppose to be heart blocks...

Thank you Tom
The shroud cleats i bought woukd be just a bout the right size for 1/84 scale and they have little notches cut into them to accomodate the thread, the other expensive ones from dry dock models have a channel on the underside to seat onto the shrouds but a little bit of filing and hey presto, according to Alan McGowan and John McKay it does go all the way back, and like yourself if i'd already done them i wouldn't change them either.

Gibbo
#364 Posted : 09 February 2022 01:43:46

After three weeks of painting, cutting, glueing, poking and prodding, the hammock cranes are finally done, i think i need a week off to recover.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
Hammock Cranes Finished1.jpg
Hammock Cranes Finished2.jpg
Hammock Cranes Finished3.jpg
tom.ganc
#365 Posted : 09 February 2022 09:22:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

WOW she looks amazing. Well done with the netting. If you think it took you long wait when you start rolling up the hammocks Blink

She is taking shape nicely and looks great. Which way are you going to put hammocks in?

Regards
Tom
goddo
#366 Posted : 09 February 2022 10:10:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Well done Paul.
The cranes and hammocks are looking really smart and congratulations on getting them finished.
You're doing a fabulous job of her.
Chris
CaptnBirdseye
#367 Posted : 09 February 2022 11:53:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gibbo wrote:
After three weeks of painting, cutting, glueing, poking and prodding, the hammock cranes are finally done, i think i need a week off to recover.

Time well spent ! Looking great ThumpUp
Gibbo
#368 Posted : 09 February 2022 16:48:15

tom.ganc wrote:
WOW she looks amazing. Well done with the netting. If you think it took you long wait when you start rolling up the hammocks Blink

She is taking shape nicely and looks great. Which way are you going to put hammocks in?

Regards
Tom

Probably the same as yours Tom, every picture or reference i've seen is upright.
Gibbo
#369 Posted : 09 February 2022 16:49:34

Thank you Chris and Graham, very much appreciated.
tenderfoot
#370 Posted : 15 February 2022 01:03:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

My goodness, this is looking fantastic Between this and your SOTS build you are really demonstrating some excellent skills and attention to detail - setting a really high standard. Fantastic build diary as well and truly appreciate you sharing your tips and techniques as well as your lessons learned.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.