Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Build the Millennium Falcon Paint Set Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 07 June 2016 12:41:13

Groups:

The paint set includes the paint colours used by Steve Dymsczo in his BTMF painting tutorials:

http://www.model-space.c...m-falcon-paint-set.html

Tamiya insignia white aerosol x2, plus 1x pot of each 'XF' flat colour: White, Medium Blue, Yellow, Black, Neutral Grey, Red and Red Brown, plus a bottle of Tamiya acrylic paint thinners.

Make your Millennium Falcon even more authentic by using the Official Millennium Falcon paint set in conjunction with the Steve Dymszo Millennium Falcon painting tutorials.
The paints are designed to be used “as is”, but as we explain on page 13 of Issue 48, ILM used overlays of various shades and some mixing will be necessary to achieve exactly the same effect.
We will be printing full-size colour paint guides towards the end of the series – as well as the download reference photos.

Make your great looking Falcon even more amazing and paint your Falcon like a pro - See the Steve Dymsczo "Falcon painting" video tutorials parts 1-3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Yaj2wlHS4

https://www.youtube.com/...yg&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/...edded&v=iTexpUdCrKU

Issue by issue painting information:

Issue 48 - An introduction to painting your model
Issue 48 - Paints for your model
Issue 49 - Preparing your model
Issue 50 - Painting the main panels
Issue 51 - Adding the finer colour details
Issue 52 - Distressing the surface
Issue 91 - Painting the Mandibles
Bill-Devine
#2 Posted : 29 June 2016 20:38:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Can you provide the paint codes for these.
I would assume for the black it would be X-1, Red would be X-7 but not sure.
Could you please update
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein
Tomick
#3 Posted : 30 June 2016 08:05:51

Groups:

All are Tamiya XF flat colours:
XF-1
XF-2
XF-3
XF-7
XF-18
XF-53
XF-64
AS-20 aerosol
X-20A thinner
Turbowars
#4 Posted : 13 July 2016 02:37:54

Thank you. Is there a section on which airbrush to buy?
Tomick
#5 Posted : 13 July 2016 07:12:04

Groups:

michael.teige@gmail.com
#6 Posted : 14 May 2018 20:15:03

Groups:

Hey I saw the video of Steve Dymszo and I know the difference between a screen accurate paint job and a studio accurate paint job. For example, the Enterprise D hull plating from Star Trek looks like a light grey color on screen. But in reality the model is painted duck egg blue. If you paint your that way, it will elicit strange reaction from people asking, why did you paint it light blue when it is grey?

So, that said, the studio paint job for the Falcon looks to me like a pizza! I want mine, when I complete it, to look like it looks on screen. Are there any guides for this? I tried searching the posts, but could not find a simple paint scheme.

Thanks!
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 14 May 2018 20:45:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Michael,

For the studio, it’s all about lighting, as colours look different under their intense lighting. I am also building the R2-D2 and although I did some research on the paint they used, R2 white was more cream and as mine is not in the studio, I settled with bright satin white.
Getting on to the Millennium Falcon, again I wanted the colour to be as near to the movie as possible. Here is a link to my custom build below

http://forum.model-space.co.uk/....aspx?g=topics&f=315

If you look at page 4 of the custom build, you will see I have posted a painting guide.

It is all personal preference when painting a model of this calabre, no wrongs or rights. It is how you want it to turn out and something you will be happy with.

It would be great to see how you tackle this and please post your work, I’m sure there will be plenty of people on here that would follow you through to the end.

Although I am the USA forum support here, I’m sure there will be many others willing to aid you.

If you need any other advise, let me know and good luck.

Mark

Sysyphus
#8 Posted : 14 May 2018 21:42:12

Thank you Mark! BTW I had to re register as Sysyphus as I missed the fact that email's are not allowed as usernames!
I just got the mail that the first 2 months of the kit will arrive in the next few weeks, so I will not have anything to paint until I get it all, I purchased the 12 month subscription option.

I will take a look at your guides and I am glad you did this as like I said, the studio color scheme is just too severe for the obvious reason as colors do get far more muted when filmed. I saw a video of Armin Shimerman in his Star Trek DS9 Quark makeup, and it looked really cartoony! I have also worked with Max, the actor who plays Nog on DS9, during Star Trek conventions, and they had to do a different color scheme for his makeup so it would look like the screen version in real life.

Thanks again and when I am ready to tackle the paint job, I will certainly ask for help :-)
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 14 May 2018 22:04:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Have fun when it arrives, it’s a great kit.BigGrin ThumpUp

Mark
Dno69
#10 Posted : 14 January 2020 16:39:08

Hello I'm building it now started collecting 2014 and been under the bed since oppps please could you tell me how many cans of base colour will the whole build need insigure white (how ever its spelt)Crying

Thanks deanCrying
Junk Pilot
#11 Posted : 15 January 2020 11:40:38

I've heard about 6 cans of Insignia White are required.

Dno69 wrote:
Hello I'm building it now started collecting 2014 and been under the bed since oppps please could you tell me how many cans of base colour will the whole build need insigure white (how ever its spelt)Crying

Thanks deanCrying

CaptnBirdseye
#12 Posted : 02 July 2020 13:58:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Does anyone know if these will be coming back into Stock? been sold out for quite a while now. Oh and the mains adapter?

Regards
Gray
Gandale
#13 Posted : 03 July 2020 22:43:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Does anyone know if these will be coming back into Stock? been sold out for quite a while now. Oh and the mains adapter?

Regards
Gray

Will see what I can find out Gray.....

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#14 Posted : 04 July 2020 10:03:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ThumpUp Thanks Alan, you’re a star BigGrin
admin
#15 Posted : 05 July 2020 01:53:18

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gray,

The mains adapter can be sourced from Amazon. That said, the very first time I plugged mine in at Celebrations in Orlando, it blew the motherboard. I ran it hard for the first 3.75 days of the show though, just using rechargeable li-ion batteries.

For paints, look at Archive-X paints. He’s based up in Birmingham I believe. (Up thataway at any rate) The paints are matched to the original Floquil colors, and spray beautifully. They run about £8 a jar.

I’d go that route for my paints.

Cheers!
CaptnBirdseye
#16 Posted : 05 July 2020 11:47:28

BigGrin Thanks Mark I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction ThumpUp
andrewdick68
#17 Posted : 19 February 2022 20:00:53

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Guest wrote:
The paint set includes the paint colours used by Steve Dymsczo in his BTMF painting tutorials:

http://www.model-space.c...m-falcon-paint-set.html

Tamiya insignia white aerosol x2, plus 1x pot of each 'XF' flat colour: White, Medium Blue, Yellow, Black, Neutral Grey, Red and Red Brown, plus a bottle of Tamiya acrylic paint thinners.

Make your Millennium Falcon even more authentic by using the Official Millennium Falcon paint set in conjunction with the Steve Dymszo Millennium Falcon painting tutorials.
The paints are designed to be used “as is”, but as we explain on page 13 of Issue 48, ILM used overlays of various shades and some mixing will be necessary to achieve exactly the same effect.
We will be printing full-size colour paint guides towards the end of the series – as well as the download reference photos.

Make your great looking Falcon even more amazing and paint your Falcon like a pro - See the Steve Dymsczo "Falcon painting" video tutorials parts 1-3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Yaj2wlHS4

https://www.youtube.com/...yg&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/...edded&v=iTexpUdCrKU

Issue by issue painting information:

Issue 48 - An introduction to painting your model
Issue 48 - Paints for your model
Issue 49 - Preparing your model
Issue 50 - Painting the main panels
Issue 51 - Adding the finer colour details
Issue 52 - Distressing the surface
Issue 91 - Painting the Mandibles

Hey all,
If I understand correctly the paints aren't mixed, and the yellow is used as it is out of the bottle???

Really??? These paints aren't mixed at all?
What do you mean there's 2 parts left over ???
S4Simon
#18 Posted : 20 February 2022 06:42:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yes paints are stock standard. The paints they used on the original some 40+ years ago were bespoke, mixed according to their own imagination on the day. It’s up to us modellers to try and replicate the colour scheme they used all those years ago. And it’s not easy. But in the end it’s your model and you paint it how you want it to look. Every Falcon is different. Even the real ones have colour changes with each movie. This is one of the toughest models to paint IMO.

BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2