Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages «<234
USS Constitution by Tenderfoot Options
tenderfoot
#61 Posted : 21 February 2022 00:34:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

I attached the single block to the stay and then rigged it to the single block that was attached to the euphroe. I just kind of eyeballed things to get them in the position I thought they should be in.

Once the glue had dried and I had trimmed the loose ends I went ahead and threaded the crows feet in the manner illustrated in the image in the previous post. I did this a bit loose to begin with and then went back over it with some tweezers to tighten things up and make them look clean. To thread the crows feet I used a needle to pull it through the euphroe and the crows nest. In reality, the crows feet were only .75 inches on the ship, so scaled down it was nothing more than a thread so that is what I used.

I also took the time to install the rope that criss crosses between each stay. I am not sure what this is called, but it was in several drawings so I decided to go with it. I used the same thread that I used for the crows feet.

Overall this entire effort took me about six hours and I am so happy with the results. Now that it is done I must do the same thing to the main mast. However, I feat I must first do some more rat lines.
tenderfoot attached the following image(s):
IMG_1172.jpg
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1174.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Silent_Running
#62 Posted : 21 February 2022 17:18:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

tenderfoot wrote:
I don't know exactly why, but this next bit made me really nervous. I needed to drill holes in the crow's nest for the crows feet rope. I was sooooo afraid of messing this up, having my hand slip, and breaking things. However, took it nice and slow and everything worked out fine. For the foremast I drilled 10 holes.

That’s the key, nice and steady does it. What a beautiful build tenderfoot, keep up the good work, you’re an inspiration to the forum. I love your build diary’s style, you show your mistakes too, it shows new builders and old how to overcome problems. Well done! ThumpUp Cool