Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Jaguar E2A - 1/8 scale scratch build Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 19 February 2022 12:52:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I've decided to have a go at a car I've really liked for many years.

The Jaguar E2A - the 'missing link' between the D Type and E Type Jaguars.

I made a little Airfix conversion in 1/32 scale some years ago. It wasn't very shape-accurate, but it was ok.

After creating the tail end for the Lola T70 Spyder, it occurred to me 'why not E2A'?

Anyway, although I'm calling it a scratch-build, I'll actually be using some of the parts from the big Revell 1/8 kit so really, it's 'half scratch'.
Under-pan, bonnet, screen scuttle and door skins from the kit.
The upper rear body, all of the interior, a huge amount of engine mods, the Dunlop wheels - they will be made by me.

Anyway, this will be quite a long project. I've got to make a master pattern for the rear body first so I can cast a useable part in resin.

The last pics are my little Airfix 1/32 conversion.

Watch this space...
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
e2a1.jpg
image (1).jpg
image.jpg
jaguare2alead.jpg
Jaguar-E-Type-E2A-prototype.jpg
P1010073.JPG
P1010074.JPG
GlynD
#2 Posted : 19 February 2022 13:23:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Very nice Roy I’ll look forward to the build
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 19 February 2022 20:54:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Righty-ho...
I'm going to 'try' to show how this build progresses.

To begin with, I need to make the upper body for the rear of the E2A car.
I also need it to fit the Revell floor pan and the kit door skins.

As a start, I taped the kit main body to the floor section.
Then, I glued two horizontal strips of thick plastic between the body sides, upper and lower. This will hold the body part in the correct shape and width when I start cutting it up.
This is so that the parts of the kit I will use - basically just the rear wings and the tail part - will still fit the Revell kit floor.

If these parts don't match the kit floor and door skins, it won't work.

On we go.
P1010123.JPG
roymattblack
#4 Posted : 22 February 2022 11:10:18

A little more for those following along.

To make the raised section on the E2A tail, I canniballised the roof from another spare coupe body. The curve is just about right for the centre section.

It was cut off so that I could nobble a part from the front edge that would match my trimmed main piece. A single panel on it's own wouldn't be long enough and it would also curve down too much at the front.

The extra piece was glued in place and before I even thought about filling the join, I found that the real car has a rivetted panel join just there. Great stuff - filling not needed.

Next I will need to cut an opening to add the vents.
The vent piece in place on the panel in the pictures is too short by 4 vanes so I'll cast two new, much thinner ones and chop them together.

Next will be to join the parts to the main tail, and then create the curved sides.
P1010128.JPG
P1010130.JPG
P1010131.JPG
P1010132.JPG
P1010133.JPG
P1010134.JPG
P1010135.JPG
P1010136.JPG
P1010137.JPG
RM1
#5 Posted : 22 February 2022 12:49:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Another great project Roy. Fascinating to follow how you do this.
Malc.
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 05 August 2022 11:32:43

A long overdue update on this one.

Using strips of sheet plastic and lots of filler, the tail is beginning to take shape.
The rear upper bulge is being made from part of an old D Type shell I have. It's only standing on the main tail in the pictures.
Also, I'll cast louvres of the correct length and curve for the centre.

Number plate space still to be filled and then I'll attend to the cockpit and air intake end.

When it's ready, it will all be filled with plaster of paris so that hopefully it can be used for vac forming.
If not, I will make a big rubber mould for resin cast.
P1010612.JPG
P1010613.JPG
P1010614.JPG
P1010615.JPG
Kev the Modeller
#7 Posted : 14 August 2022 21:09:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That looks like a lot of mind-numbing filling and sanding there Roy but I'm sure it will look faultless when painted and as though it was never a compendium of parts but more of a ready cast piece of bodywork!

I admire your resolute persistence in perfecting these scratchbuilt parts! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#8 Posted : 30 August 2022 11:51:59

Many thanks Kev.

After a holiday I'm back at the bench.

A bit more done on the rear although it hardly notices. LOADS more filler and sanding.
I need to cast the centre vents, alter the top of the 'hump' fill the number plate opening and then look at the intake vents and the rear cockpit wall.
EVENTUALLY I should end up with a master I can mould from.
P1010638.JPG
P1010639.JPG
Kev the Modeller
#9 Posted : 31 August 2022 21:33:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

WOW!! That is a lot of filling and sanding Roy but starting to take shape now and certainly going to be worth the effort in the end I'm sure?!

Keep up the good work. Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#10 Posted : 05 September 2022 16:14:38

Another bout of filling and sanding and now some grey primer.
The paint is purely to show where work still needs doing.
Quite a way to go yet.
P1010645.JPG
P1010646.JPG
P1010647.JPG
roymattblack
#11 Posted : 07 September 2022 10:45:16

Slow work but still moving forward.

3 4 very heavy coats of filler/primer and even more rubbing down.
I'm now about to start filling and shaping the lower part of the number plate aperture and I've added the door shuts in prep for the air vent openings and the rear cockpit firewall.
Then it will be the air vents in the tail top.

Getting there.
P1010650.JPG
P1010651.JPG
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 18 September 2022 16:18:41

More on the rear deck master.

All now sorted. The number plate filler is finished, a firewall panel added and the lower edge has a filler 'skirt' for moulding purposes.

It's now fixed to a baseplate. Next will be a wood retaining wall around it all and then moulding rubber poured in to create my mould.
Hopefully I'll have a first resin casting by this time next week...
P1010658.JPG
P1010659.JPG
P1010670.JPG
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 19 September 2022 08:03:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Roy, it will be nice to see the final mould. Love Love

Mark