Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

changing colour on hatchette titanic (metal) Options
Sparky1962
#1 Posted : 22 February 2022 20:29:24

Groups: Registered

evening all,
have started the hatchette titanic (metal) however, i want to change into the Britannic. how do I change the paint colour from black to white, as the Britannic was a hospital ship, will I have to strip it, if so how which chemical(s), or can I just do several thin sprays, any & all advise welcome.
thanks in advance.
stay safe.
Mark
Silent_Running
#2 Posted : 22 February 2022 22:15:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sparky1962 wrote:
evening all,
have started the hatchette titanic (metal) however, i want to change into the Britannic. how do I change the paint colour from black to white, as the Britannic was a hospital ship, will I have to strip it, if so how which chemical(s), or can I just do several thin sprays, any & all advise welcome.
thanks in advance.
stay safe.
Mark

Hi Mark,
No you don’t have to strip it if you don’t want to. I would suggest use frog tape to mask off the top of the black line where the top of the hull meets the upper deck. This way you won’t get paint bleed onto the other parts of the ship. As your going from black to white, you’re going to need to use a primer. A light grey one would be useful as it’s an intermediate colour, at least two to three thin coats minimum. Once you reach this stage you will then be able to see whether you need any more coats. It will then just be a matter of applying the white top coat.
Regards
Glenn BigGrin BigGrin
Sparky1962
#3 Posted : 23 February 2022 08:59:51

Morning Silent_Running,
thanks for your answer. that's a relief. luckily the brown keel & main part of the hull are separate so won't need to mask off, but am going to have to learn to pinstripe, for the green line & the red crosses. I will be using google images & exploring the Britannic/Titanic website for further info.
once again thanks for the info.
Mark
Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 23 February 2022 22:01:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mark.
That's a brilliant idea to make her into the Britannic! For the red crosses and other 'markings' you could try making your own decals with some inkjet decal paper and any graphics program. You might need to check on those websites for total accuracy, the Titanic, Britannic and Olympic all had very subtle differences, some in the bridge superstructure etc and some in the porthole positions (I'd ignore those portholes though!BigGrin )

Will love to see this diary!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1