Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
HMS Surprise build log. My first wooden ship. Options
ruffnite
#21 Posted : 12 December 2014 12:03:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I also made a jig to cut out my deck planks. I'm however not happy with it at all. I've decided that today i will be building a micro table saw using what else my dremel tool. I will be posting as through out the build.

If they can make it BIG, I can make it small.......

Wayne RUFFNITE

Model Space HMS Surprise,
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=13545

ruffnite
#22 Posted : 12 December 2014 12:16:53

As far as the Surprise is concerned I sanded and stained the decking a Golden Oak color. I cut about a half dozen of the planks and roughly layed them on the deck to see what the looked like. im still up in the air as to whether or not I'll use the provided planks or go a different route. the supplied lumber is so unevenly cut the where there is a difference of 1.5 cm from one end to the other. plus they are so splintered i figured if i have to rework every board anyway i may as well just do them all from scratch. i've been looking at a nice oak colored veneer i found at the hobby shop i may see how that looks. i have a tool i use in my photography to trim photos and the backing boards theat slideds the blade the length and width so i figured i could use it on the veneer and get a nice crisp edge. I'll let ya'll know how that works out.

so i'm going to get started on the table saw if all goes well i'll post my progress in a few hours and get your thoughtsBlink Bored

hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season so far. mine is good. it doesn't hurt that my son and his wife are going to make me a grandpap before the month is over so Merry Chrismas to me. yeah because it is all about me. hahahaFlapper LOL LOL . till later

Wayne RUFFNITE

davetwin
#23 Posted : 12 December 2014 15:02:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Ruffnite Cool

Any chance you can reduce your signature down a little bit, its taking up a lot of space Blink
Gandale
#24 Posted : 13 December 2014 00:08:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You've been busy Ruffnite and some very nice progress being made.... Cool Cool .. Love some of the jigs and tools you are constructing, some useful idea's to follow....Cool Cool .. Keep the progress pics coming....

Regards

Alan
ruffnite
#25 Posted : 15 December 2014 01:21:25

Yes of course I can shorten up my signature. I'm just at work right this moment I'll get it knocked down by tomorrow. Sorry about that guys. BigGrin

Wayne RUFFNITE

ruffnite
#26 Posted : 21 December 2014 23:26:46

Hi all, I just thought I’d show you some new additions to my shop. I picked up a 4" table saw the "mighty-mite". I really like it but I need to find a blade with a higher tooth count so it's a little easier on the fine lumber we use. I also found a set of planes. I found them at Harbor Freight there are three of them Brass and wood and I harden steel blade. They only set me back $10.00. The table saw I also got at Harbor Freight. Whit a 25% of coupon it set me back $31.00. It was my Birthday on the 20th and I got a few bucks from my family so I went ahead and got the Dremel Scroll Saw. I've been wanting it for some time now. 3 weeks ago it was listed on Amazon for $99.00, they dropped the price and it was only $69.00. I'm so happy. Then there is my trusty old Demel drill press, and I also have the router table. I couldn't get by without them. Anyway I believe I have a fully functional shop now and I’m diving head first into the Surprise. I also want to wish everyone a very happy and safe holiday. Let the New Year bring you all you need. Happy Holiday everyone. Wayne

Wayne RUFFNITE

johncal
#27 Posted : 01 January 2015 23:14:26

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This right here is absolutely the most important tool you can own for building this ship.

http://www.harborfreight...n-belt-sander-60543.html
ruffnite
#28 Posted : 03 January 2015 16:30:15

Johncal- It's funny you posted theat link, it's the very next tool on my list to pick up. Thank you very much for the post. As we stand now I finally recieved the wood I ordered for the decking. I didn't care for the stock wood that came with the kit. I ordered 1:32x2"x24" cheery. I like the orngish deep color of the wood, and with a coat of Old English oil it really brings it out. If all goes well I will begining college in a few weeks. Yes I said college Crying Blink Confused . I will be able to get student and AARP discounts were ever I go hahaha. I hope to be studing Whats called "Mechatronics". It's a hobby of mine since before I was 15. Anyway I will be getting building my ship in as i am available. Happy New Year my friends and happy modeling.

Wayne RUFFNITE

johncal
#29 Posted : 03 January 2015 19:16:54

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just be careful with oiling the wood. It will make it a lot more difficult to get any glue or adhesives to bond parts to the deck. You might want to consider using a very thinned out stain if you wish to add color.

Keep in mind on the real decks, they were constantly holystoned .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holystone

This basically means they were sanded down on a regular basis. Probably not a bad idea if you were running around the deck with bare feet.

What I did on mine was run a single coat of clear sealer on to fill the pores of the wood to help prevent warping and shrinkage (you'll get some anyways)then sanded the deck down. Then I rubbed in some ground up pencil lead to make it look a little bit dirty and worn in the high traffic areas. Just run a pencil on a piece of paper, rub it with a rag and then rub the rag on the deck.

I pretty much have "weathered and worn" everything down so far so it looks like it's been out to sea for around 6 months. A new ship that is a bit tattered. It looks way better being a bit beaten up anyways.

As to the sander, that's basically all I used to do everything on the model. I even used that with my hand drill to Lathe" down my yards. Very effective and inexpensive. The belt sander is invaluable for tapering hull planking and basically cutting and trimming anything to shape. Every single piece of wood on the ship I rough cut or snipped and then sanded and squared to length.

Another hint: If you look at my model you will see that I used square aluminum tubing to make the Cannon port frames. Much easier than trying to build them out of wood. I rough sanded the outside edges to give them a wood grain and then once they are painted they look like wood. If you look around the net you can find the appropriate size. I just cut them to length first with a table saw and then belt sanded and jewelers filed them to shape.

Also, pick up a set of jewelers files. They will be extremely helpful for cleaning up the cast parts as they are pretty crappy straight out of the kit.
MurphyPeoples
#30 Posted : 03 March 2015 13:25:25

This is great info JohnCal - thanks for posting it. I've been lurking on here a couple of weeks. I've been reading everyone's builds and took the plunge yesterday and ordered the HMS Surprise 7 month edition. Ruffnite's seems to be the most current build? But I'd love to see more pics in your post too.

johncal wrote:
Just be careful with oiling the wood. It will make it a lot more difficult to get any glue or adhesives to bond parts to the deck. You might want to consider using a very thinned out stain if you wish to add color.

Keep in mind on the real decks, they were constantly holystoned .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holystone

This basically means they were sanded down on a regular basis. Probably not a bad idea if you were running around the deck with bare feet.

What I did on mine was run a single coat of clear sealer on to fill the pores of the wood to help prevent warping and shrinkage (you'll get some anyways)then sanded the deck down. Then I rubbed in some ground up pencil lead to make it look a little bit dirty and worn in the high traffic areas. Just run a pencil on a piece of paper, rub it with a rag and then rub the rag on the deck.

I pretty much have "weathered and worn" everything down so far so it looks like it's been out to sea for around 6 months. A new ship that is a bit tattered. It looks way better being a bit beaten up anyways.

As to the sander, that's basically all I used to do everything on the model. I even used that with my hand drill to Lathe" down my yards. Very effective and inexpensive. The belt sander is invaluable for tapering hull planking and basically cutting and trimming anything to shape. Every single piece of wood on the ship I rough cut or snipped and then sanded and squared to length.

Another hint: If you look at my model you will see that I used square aluminum tubing to make the Cannon port frames. Much easier than trying to build them out of wood. I rough sanded the outside edges to give them a wood grain and then once they are painted they look like wood. If you look around the net you can find the appropriate size. I just cut them to length first with a table saw and then belt sanded and jewelers filed them to shape.

Also, pick up a set of jewelers files. They will be extremely helpful for cleaning up the cast parts as they are pretty crappy straight out of the kit.

Current Build HMS Surprise
Zanussi
#31 Posted : 01 July 2015 00:14:09

ruffnite wrote:
Oh, Forgot to mention I've procured the entire audio version of Patrick O'Brians books. Though I've read them all it's so nice listening to them while i build...YAAAA!!!!!LOL LOL LOL LOL

I am curious, in the audio books are Stephen's endless moralizing as annoying as in the printed versions?
Zanussi
#32 Posted : 01 July 2015 00:24:20

Wow, you are assembling a serious arsenal of tools there! I am envious, makes my second hand battery Dremel look a bit sad. Will be watching the build with great interest.
Page
#33 Posted : 18 December 2015 05:56:39

Hi Ruffnite. Enjoyed your build log especially the pics. I an not very IT minded and wonder if you could help me with how to take pics of my build (do I need a special camera? Can I use my phone camera? Once I take a picyurte what then? Do I need to get it developed? Can I download it to my PC? If so how do I do it and do I need any special program or devise? Once on my PC how can I attach it to my log so others can see it. Sorry to be so lame but I am a hunt and pecker when it comes to IT and I really want to get my Surprise log up and running.
Page
igorigorin9
#34 Posted : 21 March 2022 04:33:12

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

I recommend laser machines by Wattsan.
Check their website https://wattsan.com/