Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

HMAV Bounty 1/64 Options
the_fifth_ace
#1 Posted : 16 March 2022 12:04:09

Groups: Registered

Greetings folks.

It's been a while since I last battled with timber, I got lost in plastic, but I decided I wanted to return to wood. Having learned new skills and improved on existing ones, I felt I could probably do a better job than my previous efforts.

And to start with, I wanted to right a wrong on the last ship I completed, HMAV Bounty.

On the last one there were a number of errors, most glaringly was the main rubbing strake. It sweeps too low, way too low, at the bow, and it's annoyed me for years. Plus I enjoyed the kit last time, it was a good quality kit with only one minor issue: the length of the centre section of the keel is a few mm too short. Wasn't a problem last time as I coppered the hull as per the kit, I am not planning on doing that this time as it is subject to a lot of doubt as to whether she received that upgrade before leaving Portsmouth (or was it Plymouth?) for the last time.

I also invested in some new tools that I didn't have before, and a proper slipway rather than a home made one. Following the general consensus I was directed to the Model Shipways one, which I have to say is pretty good. My only gripe with it is it's designed for ships that have the keel already attached, so at the moment it isn't easy to get it to sit level, but that's not an issue at this stage anyway.

Anyway, I got the keel/bulkheads assembled, false deck fitted and the fairing done on the bulkheads.

I'll quickly summerise where I am upto so far. First planking went ok, no massive issues although it wasn't done historically correct. Sanded, filed and re-sanded.

The second planking gave me a bit of trouble, mostly due to my own errors. I had the garboard plank too far forward, and the planks were starting to require lateral force to get them to lay right. The solution to this was edge bending the planks, something I didn't even think could be done until yesterday. This solved my problem and the numbers suggest that I will be able to meet with the lower edge of the wales without the need for a drop plank, and keeping the widths at 50% or above.

Yeh, that remains to be seen...

Thanks for stopping by.

Dom
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 16 March 2022 19:14:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice and tidy start.Love Love

Mark
the_fifth_ace
#3 Posted : 20 March 2022 12:07:37

Hello.

Very quick update. Second planking is finished, now time to sand it and try and make it look like I didn't do such a half a**ed job on it haha.

2 Drops at the bow, 3 at the stern.

the_fifth_ace
#4 Posted : 26 March 2022 09:40:47

Quick update on this.

I decided in the end to go for a white hull rather than coppered, although that still remains an option until I start work above deck.

Main wale is in place, and this time in the right place. A touch lower on one side at the stern, but nothing I cannot correct later.

Some minor waterline issues at the bow to fix.

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 26 March 2022 10:01:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

That`s looking very good. WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

the_fifth_ace
#6 Posted : 30 March 2022 11:26:25

Hello.

Main deck now done. I know in reality the deck planks would have most likely been laid in one single length, but I like the look of a 4 shift pattern.

I used a graphite pencil for the simulated caulking, and after sanding smooth with various grades, I sealed it using a rattlecan Halfords Clear Lacquer which soaked into the wood, bringing out the grain and leaving it butter smooth.

Why did I use a lacquer? Because it works. (This is where someone tells me it will look ok now but in 10 years time will turn purple with yellow spots lol)

I will still polish with beeswax as soon as it arrives, once I ascertain if I will still be able to use adhesive for the deck furniture as not sure how that works.
I also have some Danish Oil on order for a future build.