Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
The Mandalorian Razor Crest Diorama Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 03 April 2022 12:49:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

So I thought I would do another Star Wars diorama. BigGrin Here is the latest Razor Crest kit from Revell. It is a 1/72 scale model, so a decent size and from what I can see out of the box, it has some very nice detailing to it. There are several parts I will replace either by scratch building or designing new one for 3D printing. The idea is to set it on a base in the landed position with ramps down. Tatooine is the setting so a sandy/rocky diorama, with the Mandalorian and Grogu walking away from the ship. Early days yet though.
I will be putting lighting and sound effect to this, as I like to do with these dioramas, I have already designed a new inner engine part, rather than the solid stock part, to allow lighting in the engines, pictures of the new part attached. The first engine picture is the stock part.
More soon.BigGrin

Once I’ve printed this part and test fitted it into the model, I can make these available in my Etsy shop should anyone be interested in putting lighting into this model for themselves.Cool

Mark
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
photo 03-04-2022, 12 23 34 pm.jpg
photo 03-04-2022, 12 23 52 pm.jpg
photo 03-04-2022, 12 24 06 pm.jpg
photo 03-04-2022, 12 24 45 pm.jpg
photo 03-04-2022, 12 25 08 pm.jpg
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 03 April 2022 13:47:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Mark, BigGrin

Nicely done with the re-designed parts.Cool Cool

Look forward to the build and dio.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 03 April 2022 16:18:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Hello Mark.
I've not seen this branch of Star Wars but the ship looks interesting.

I'm just wondering, is it meant to be some kind of polished metal?
If so, covering it with chrome BMF would look great.
I did the Revell McLaren this way about 10 years ago...
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
IMG_0451 copy.jpg
tf64
#4 Posted : 03 April 2022 17:45:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Well Mark, this looks like a fab kit always wanted to do something with a Space kit so I will be watching your build.

Thanks for posting

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Markwarren
#5 Posted : 04 April 2022 10:58:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Mark, BigGrin

Nicely done with the re-designed parts.Cool Cool

Look forward to the build and dio.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thank you Derek, still planning out how it will look.

Mark
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 04 April 2022 11:04:49

roymattblack wrote:
Hello Mark.
I've not seen this branch of Star Wars but the ship looks interesting.

I'm just wondering, is it meant to be some kind of polished metal?
If so, covering it with chrome BMF would look great.
I did the Revell McLaren this way about 10 years ago...

Hi Roy
Thank you for looking in. I’ve seen people build this model using a chrome finish which it suggest in the painting guide, however, I personally think that is too stark and bright. The ship in the series looks as if it has been around the block a bit, very worn. I will use a metallic aluminium and weather it to tone it down, so it has that use to be shiny look.

Mark
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 04 April 2022 11:06:31

tf64 wrote:

Well Mark, this looks like a fab kit always wanted to do something with a Space kit so I will be watching your build.

Thanks for posting

Regards

Trev.

Thanks Trev. Just planning where all the lighting will go and adding sound effects before I start putting it all together.

Many thanks
Mark
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 05 April 2022 23:32:50

So I have now test printed the part. The first print needed some alterations to fit. This has now been done and fits perfectly in place, replacing the original stock part. I have printed them using my filament printer just to get sizing and fitting correct. The finished ones will be printed in resin to get a faultless sharp print.
I have also designed an inner engine assembly. This will defuse the lighting inside to get a better look, it also gives more detail inside rather than looking into a void. It will take a 5mm bright LED bulb.
Some pictures of my progress so far, some with the original part and the new one.

Mark
photo 05-04-2022, 11 11 09 pm.jpg
photo 05-04-2022, 11 11 52 pm.jpg
photo 05-04-2022, 11 12 02 pm.jpg
photo 05-04-2022, 11 12 42 pm.jpg
photo 05-04-2022, 11 12 33 pm.jpg
photo 05-04-2022, 11 12 23 pm.jpg
photo 05-04-2022, 11 12 49 pm.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 10 April 2022 20:02:28

Test print done, and just printed the final ones in resin on my new resin printer. Wow, what a difference the printer makes. The quality for a 1/72 scale part is amazing. Here are some pictures of then final resin print. I have also compared the print to the PLA printer which was printed at its top setting. I have included the inner engine part also acts as a light defuse. It will take a 5mm LED bulb as shown.
More soon.

Mark

I will be making these available soon, more details later.
IMG_3076.jpg
IMG_3077.jpg
IMG_3078.jpg
IMG_3079.jpg
IMG_3080.jpg
IMG_3084.jpg
IMG_3089.jpg
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 11 April 2022 10:44:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s gonna look ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp with both engines lit up.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#11 Posted : 11 April 2022 19:42:09

Thank you Derek, just playing with a new cockpit now.

I have made available the 4 parts to the engines for this kit in my Etsy shop, should anyone wish to add lighting effects. The link is below.

Revell Razor Crest Engine Upgrade
1.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#12 Posted : 13 April 2022 20:25:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I've always admired your skills for improving your builds with various lighting and electronic effects Mark and they've always taken your models to another level. I'm sure this will be another great build from you that will look so much better for the improvements that you are adding.

Very well done so far, will be watching the build progression. Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tf64
#13 Posted : 18 April 2022 09:54:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mark,

Well done with the build and with the printer looking forward to the next post.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Markwarren
#14 Posted : 27 May 2022 14:18:52

Back on this one again after building my new workshop in what use to be my garage. Still a lot to do, but most of my stuff is in there now including a 3d printing corner. I have made a few changes in how this will look. Mando will now be riding a Blurrg with grogu in his pod along side. The engine parts have been refined and now includes a new engine nozzle I designed with the cutout holes.
Anyway here are some pictures.
Mark
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Markwarren
#15 Posted : 09 June 2022 20:35:56

I’m just about finished experimenting. I now know how to put all the lighting in. I have made the base, just designing a console for sound and lighting effects. I have also utilised the engine prototype and experimented on how I was going to paint this. I wanted it to look like the nozzle end gets hot.
The picture is not the final parts, just the experimental piece.

Full build will start very soon.

Mark
photo 09-06-2022, 8 13 13 pm.jpg
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 27 June 2022 15:56:40

I have been painting the Mandalorian riding the Blurrg last week. Boy, that is so small, I have to stop after a while just to align my eyes again. I also wanted to put his cape and his jet on him, so I have printed these as shown in the last picture. Again, you can see how small and fragile these parts are. The first few pictures are of the landing leg hydraulics. The first picture is how it should look from a still shot taken from the TV series. The next few pictures show the original supplied part and a new piece I have designed which is more in keeping with how it should look.
More soon.
Mark
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
tigerace
#17 Posted : 28 June 2022 12:28:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow excellent update parts MarkBigGrin looks greatBigGrin

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

roymattblack
#18 Posted : 28 June 2022 16:21:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Mind boggling stuff Mark.
I really need to get myself a good 3D printer.Love
Markwarren
#19 Posted : 28 June 2022 21:12:08

Many thanks Phil, I have a lot more ideas to come.

Thanks for looking in Roy. 3d printing does certainly help with parts you need, it is the designing and then putting into practice that takes time to master. I have been designing some 1/12 car wheels for a friend of mine, although I could print them in any scale.

Mark

Markwarren
#20 Posted : 28 June 2022 21:16:10

I have just tested the parts on a spare Mandalorian I printed to see if the new helmet, cape and jet pack would all fit.
The one I will be using will be painted first before I apply the accessories.

The pictues make it look quite large, other than the 3.8cm in length it really is.
So that should give you an idea how difficult it will be to paint as well as sand and place the parts together.
Anyway here is the test part with the accessories glued in place.

Mark
IMG_3724.jpg
IMG_3722.jpg
IMG_3719.jpg