Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rib 15 Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 11 May 2022 19:17:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I have encountered a problem with Rib 15. Not noticed until lower deck was pinned in place, Rib 15 (and to some extent, Rib 16 too) does not reach the bottom of the false keel. I had thought about removing the lower deck (which will be a pain now it has been pinned down -thank heaven I saw it before gluing Huh ) and extending the slot so it lowers the rib? This would then mean building up the height of the top edge to level the deck. Theonly other option i can think of is building up the edge of the lower rib with edging strips. Both solutions seem to be a pain no matter which i choose!

Has anyone else had this problem? What would you do?
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
1Q4A178401.jpg
goddo
#2 Posted : 11 May 2022 20:01:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Graham, this is a very common problem and I encountered it myself.
If the rib is sitting in the keel section is as far as it will go and the top edge is flush, I would personally leave it as it is and build up the lower profile with thin strips. Best to be sure before gluing it all together though.
Final fairing will take a lot of that discrepancy away to give you the correct profile prior to planking.
z8000783
#3 Posted : 12 May 2022 07:24:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

CaptnBirdseye wrote:

Has anyone else had this problem? What would you do?

Do a search of this forum for 'rib 15'. You will find 20 pages of posts of the subject.

CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 12 May 2022 07:49:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Chris, John, thanks for looking in and your comments guys ThumpUp
John, I did a search before posting and it came up empty- will try again.
Chris, I can see where you’re coming from, but the more I think about it, the more option 1 appeals. If I lengthen the slot on the keel then the top and bottom will sit where it should, giving a better base going forward. That way when I get to fairing the bulkheads I will have more room for error.
Not a definitive decision but my thought process after sleeping on it

Cheers Gray
z8000783
#5 Posted : 12 May 2022 08:05:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Once I started the fairing, I found there were a number of ribs out in various places. This seemed off bearing in mind the pieces were supposedly 'laser cut'. It was better to leave the work completed so far, in place and then pack or sand back as necessary. If I remember correctly, I used a 5x2 mm plank on one occasion, it was that far off.

z8000783
#6 Posted : 12 May 2022 10:53:58

Did you try this, Gray?

CaptnBirdseye
#7 Posted : 12 May 2022 11:03:42

Hi John, yes but i put 'HMS Victory' in the top drop-down box.
z8000783
#8 Posted : 12 May 2022 11:06:11

Try it with 'HMS Victory - Model Build Discussion'

The 'HMS Victory' forum has no posts in it.

tom.ganc
#9 Posted : 12 May 2022 11:35:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi
Looks like your problem got solved. I remember having some issue during my build. Nothing major but this forum is gold mine and you are right to ask. Most of the slight glitches can be solved quite quickly and once you get through planking it will be much clearer I hope :)

Happy build and keep us posted in your build diary Flapper

Regards
Tom
CaptnBirdseye
#10 Posted : 12 May 2022 12:00:02

Well, just read through ALL 20 pages that come up. Noticed 2 things:
1) Not sure what algorithm they are using but it pulls up a lot of various unrelated topics BigGrin
2) there appears to be differing issues with Rib 15.

Not only does it sit too high in relation to the bottom edge of the keel, but the shape is too narrow higher up.

So do i lower it's position relative to the bottom edge of the keel, adding ply to the top of the bulkhead to make the lower deck sit level, or ask for a repalcement? Some of the posts suggest they didn't have any issues with Ribs 15 and 16.
goddo
#11 Posted : 12 May 2022 12:26:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
...Not only does it sit too high in relation to the bottom edge of the keel, but the shape is too narrow higher up. So do i lower it's position relative to the bottom edge of the keel, adding ply to the top of the bulkhead to make the lower deck sit level, or ask for a repalcement? ...

I wouldn't worry about it to the point of asking for a replacement part. You will probably end up with one just the same as the original. It has happened to too many forum members for yours to be a "one-off"
As suggested above. leave it until you come to the fairing stage and build it up with strips of thin planking. Just ensure that the rib IS fully seated and you should be fine. Good luck.
z8000783
#12 Posted : 12 May 2022 12:30:41

goddo wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it to the point of asking for a replacement part. You will probably end up with one just the same as the original. It has happened to too many forum members for yours to be a "one-off"
As suggested above. leave it until you come to the fairing stage and build it up with strips of thin planking. Just ensure that the rib IS fully seated and you should be fine. Good luck.

I very much agree with Chris.

CaptnBirdseye
#13 Posted : 12 May 2022 13:35:00

Thanks guys, yes the rib is fully seated. The top is flush with the false keel and lower deck sits flat against it. Rib 16 doesn't quite reach the bottom of the keel either.

Just looked at the Official Build by 'Tomick?' back from 2012. The photo in post #3, Issues 16-20, clearly shows that his doesn't meet either. So much for updated laser cut parts Crying

I just tought that if i remove the rib, enlarge the slot so that the rib meets the bottom of the keel, i can then add strips to the top of the rib so that the lower deck sits correctly. Thought this would keep the shape of the rib better. Guess i'm overthinking it BigGrin
goddo
#14 Posted : 13 May 2022 19:15:14

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Thanks guys, yes the rib is fully seated. The top is flush with the false keel and lower deck sits flat against it. Rib 16 doesn't quite reach the bottom of the keel either.

Just looked at the Official Build by 'Tomick?' back from 2012. The photo in post #3, Issues 16-20, clearly shows that his doesn't meet either. So much for updated laser cut parts Crying

I just tought that if i remove the rib, enlarge the slot so that the rib meets the bottom of the keel, i can then add strips to the top of the rib so that the lower deck sits correctly. Thought this would keep the shape of the rib better. Guess i'm overthinking it BigGrin

You have to be very careful with lengthening the slot to lower the rib. That will cause more headaches later when fitting the upper decks and the rib tops will not be correct to accept the top rows of planking. The upper shoulders on the ribs should all line through nicely albeit on a bit of a slope.
delboy271155
#15 Posted : 13 May 2022 20:51:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Guys, BigGrin

Now I`m no master ship builder but don`t do to bad with my efforts and understand how these things fit together.

So here`s my thoughts on the grounds that my Vic is in exactly the same stage as Captns.

I have looked at rib 15 in my construction and "YES" I have the same issue.

To that end I have checked out the deck levels above the first false deck (Only pinned in place) and they appear to be fine. So I would be inclined "NOT" to extend the slot and lower the rib. I also have other reasons for that decision as I`ll explain now, with reference to the picture attached.

These observations are the same on the port and starboard side.

If you look at the attached pic you will see that there are three coloured marks around the rib shape as follows: (Top to Bottom)

Yellow: Rib is a lot wider than the deck and the ribs either side of 15.

Red: The rib flattens along this section and should be slightly wider making it more rounded.

Blue: This area is lacking some shape to fair smoothly with ribs either side.

So, the gritty bit.Blink Blink

As previously stated I would not lower the rib.

I can see two possible solutions in my mind and give no sure fire answers that these will work. That`s your choice, but for what its worth:

Solution 1: Balsa fill the hull between ribs 14 - 16. Shape to where you are happy and the file away proud areas / fill with strip wood on low areas, then fair to the final shape.

Solution 2: A bit more intensive. Remove the deck, remove rib 15 and trace it onto a piece of paper. Using the attached pic with the colour references make a new rib with 4mm ply (Make sure you change both sides of the rib the same). Leave the proud bit (Yellow) as it is. Add a bit more meat on the straight (Red) bit and add to the low area (Blue) bit to bring the bottom point down to the keel line.

Refit and fair as you would normally. A lot more intensive, but if you're up for it, the choice is yours.

So there you go, my thoughts for what they may be worth.LOL Flapper LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
IMG20220513200940.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#16 Posted : 14 May 2022 13:55:28

goddo wrote:

You have to be very careful with lengthening the slot to lower the rib. That will cause more headaches later when fitting the upper decks and the rib tops will not be correct to accept the top rows of planking. The upper shoulders on the ribs should all line through nicely albeit on a bit of a slope.

Funnily enough Chris, i have just done what you mention above (how spooky is that!). You are 100% correct, the deck supports all line up when the rib is short. If i lengthen the slot i too think it will throw the line of the deck out.

Del, i'm definitely NOT brave enough for Option 2 of what you suggest, so have plumped for Option 1 and ordered some filler (basswood though instead of balsa).

I want to thank all who have contibuted and looked in ThumpUp

delboy271155
#17 Posted : 14 May 2022 15:10:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good Luck Gray. BigGrin

Looking forward to see the resolution take place. Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"