Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The Cutaway Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 26 May 2022 16:43:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thinking about whether or not to do 'The Cutaway' section. Does anyone know if there are enough figures and cannons provided to actually do this? The ad shows 7 cannons and their crew. I know that we do get figures included, but are these the ones that would have been used on the deck, along with Nelson?

After re-reading the advert i think they need to re-write some of this as i certainly haven't had anything about naval warefare and Lord Nelson BigGrin

'Build an exact-scale replica of the ship Nelson captained at the decisive Battle of Trafalgar. Even as a model-making novice, you can build this unique model in easy stages, learning the skills as you go and marveling at the amazing details.

It’s the famous ship that Nelson captained at the decisive Battle of Trafalgar! A model of this scale (1:84) will allow you to build an impressive version of the HMS Victory while also learning about shipbuilding techniques and all the amazing details of the original. For instance, every sail, rope and spar is provided for you to install. And while you’re building, the accompanying guides will educate you on the purpose of different features, the history of naval warfare, and the life of Admiral Nelson. The illustrated guides make it easy to put together, so climb aboard!'
suey
#2 Posted : 26 May 2022 17:00:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Blushing Methinks Captain Thomas Masterman Hardy would be a tad annoyed to learn that ADMIRAL Horatio Nelson captained the Victory
Quote:
at the decisive Battle of Trafalgar
....Crying

Does the advert require re-writing? ...
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 26 May 2022 17:57:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Captn, (NOT NELSON) LOL

As for the historical/grammatical errors I have no answer. Bad proof reading maybe.Blink

Now as for the cutaway, that`s different. (6 guns not 7 Crying ), but if you follow the link below to the final pack 12 pdf and scroll down to page 564 it explains in the figure painting instructions exactly where the 60+ figures are for. Including the crouching gun crew figures (20 supplied).

https://d24udp600h4lxn.c...msv-dual-pack-12-dl.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 26 May 2022 18:03:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

suey wrote:
Blushing Methinks Captain Thomas Masterman Hardy would be a tad annoyed to learn that ADMIRAL Horatio Nelson captained the Victory
Quote:
....Crying

I haven’t had anything about the life of Nelson, or history of naval ware fare so guess it relates to the weekly booklet from the early days!

Thanks Del, that’s what I was trying to find out - hadn’t got that far into the build pdf’s 👍
CaptnBirdseye
#5 Posted : 26 May 2022 18:03:04

suey wrote:
Quote:
....Crying

I haven’t had anything about the life of Nelson, or history of naval ware fare so guess it relates to the weekly booklet from the early days!

Thanks Del, that’s what I was trying to find out - hadn’t got that far into the build pdf’s 👍
Gandale
#6 Posted : 26 May 2022 21:46:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Just for info - The initial release of the Victory was done on a weekly basis (120 issues), these being available via newsagent as well as subscription. Each weekly issue contained a magazine and within each magazine there were four sections, Nelson's World, Marine Modelling, Ships of the Line and of course the Assembly Guide. Further down the line the kit was made available and this time subscribers could choose between a 12 or 24 months subscription. The magazines were not included but the build guides were condensed into 12 booklets covering the series, this resulted in the loss of the other three magazine sections. So any errors you see in the advert are very likely to be 'historical in nature'... forgive the pun!!!...BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin and just carried over...

In addition, if you look at the last 3 posts of the Official Build you will see what is supplied and how the cutaway is assembled. It may help you decide whether you wish to do the Cutaway or not.....

Official Build - Stages 115 - 120

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#7 Posted : 27 May 2022 07:51:46

BigGrin Thanks Alan ThumpUp
The more i look at this, the less sure i become.
Has anyone done the cutaway? Any issues raised by doing it?
Does the end result look a bit, well, toyish?
birdaj2
#8 Posted : 28 May 2022 15:22:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

CaptnBirdseye wrote:

I guess the big decision maker is how well you are at painting the tiny figures. If painted well they can add the the diorama, but on the opposite side they can look “quite hideous” and are likely to “scare the pants off” anyone of a nervous disposition :-)

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
goddo
#9 Posted : 29 May 2022 08:17:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

birdaj2 wrote:
CaptnBirdseye wrote:

I guess the big decision maker is how well you are at painting the tiny figures. If painted well they can add the the diorama, but on the opposite side they can look “quite hideous” and are likely to “scare the pants off” anyone of a nervous disposition :-)

Tony

There are enough figures to practice on so that by the time you have finished, the best ones could be in the forefront.
Plus the beauty of painting with acrylics is that you can take it off and start again. I'm sure it will look absolutely fine when you have finished,
If you do decide to go ahead, start a diary and keep us up to date with progress. Good luck.
Chris
Gandale
#10 Posted : 29 May 2022 09:26:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

CaptnBirdseye wrote:

How you display the model when finished can also be an advantage to taking on the cutaway and see how it turns out, meaning you are unlikely to display in such a way that both sides are visible. If the cutaway doesn't turn out to your liking then you always have the choice to display the other side and hide the cutaway from view.... For me the cutaway wasn't that important so ignored it.....Correct decision for me.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
GilShapley
#11 Posted : 29 May 2022 11:10:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

With some of my smaller builds when building the display case I have used a mirror so that both sides of the model can be viewed. Didn't think it was practical with my Victory build, but the (Smaller) Mississippi river boat had so much detail I wanted to show both sides. The front view shows the cabins with the wall removed to show the cabin interior the rear view shows an exterior view of the boat.

You could always use the parts to complete a stand alone diorama or If you want to show the interior details you could always have a go at the X Section of the Victory

Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle