Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Stage 102 chainwales' holes Options
Flyteach
#1 Posted : 23 July 2022 21:16:02

Groups: Registered

The instructions for stage 102B state to drill 0.1mm holes in the chainwales. This seemed awful small (see, I'm learning to read ahead!). Looking ahead to stage 110G, we're taking 0.5mm brass wire, wound around and passing that through the hole (it seems like the wound part must pass thru the hole in the chainwale since the deadeye has to sit on top of the wale. So, I'm thinking the holes in the chainwales need to be at least 1mm, and maybe a little more?
If there's a recommendation for the hole size to drill, I will probably go with something like 1.2mm (or closest bit I have), but wondered if any other builders have any other ideas.
Otherwise, the build is progressing, despite the earlier mistake with the gunwales, one can hardly tell. Excited to be working on rigging!

Thanks for any help!

Jim/Flyteach
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 23 July 2022 21:34:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello there Jim!
Although I haven't looked at the relevant instructions I'm pretty sure that must be a typing error and it should have read 1.0mm as you supposed. I'd go with the 1.2mm if you have it or else just a 1mm and use a round rat tail file to gently enlarge the hole until the twisted wire fits comfortably.

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Flyteach
#3 Posted : 24 July 2022 19:12:52

Hello Robin,
Thanks for the confirmation. I agree with the type, and I prolly wouldn't have questioned it except it appears in 3 different places (I guess consistency is good?). I'll go with 1 mm (I have that bit, was just shading it for the wire size) but that's probably what was meant and makes a lot more sense.
Jim/Flyteach
goddo
#4 Posted : 25 July 2022 11:24:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Jim, just been reading your notes about the size of holes for the chainwale deadeyes.
May I suggest that you make up one of the deadeyes with the brass wire wrapped around it then use a scrap piece of wood to run tests to see which size hole would suit. Having built a few of these models now and understand your predicament, that could be a way forward. I have to say that 1mm does sound very small.
Chris
Flyteach
#5 Posted : 25 July 2022 15:17:43

Goddo,
My gosh, a prototype, why didn't I think of that? Perfect, yes. 1mm may still be a bit small, but 0.1mm just didn't make much sense at all. Thanks for the great idea!
Flyteach
#6 Posted : 25 July 2022 15:33:25

Also, for anyone else that might be following along and hasn't reached this stage yet. While step 102A shows the placement of the holes, steps 102C and 102D are not clear on which side of the chainwales get glued to the side of the ship. Since these parts are mirror images of each other, and the order of the holes is important for rigging, I found that carefully checking steps 110H, 110I, and 110J for the proper orientation is critical. Also, the step 110G does not specify that the tail should be painted black. This is obvious in the picture for step 110H and is mentioned in the official builder's diary.

If there's any hints or other things I'm missing, I'll take any advice and was hoping that if I put this here it may help someone else in the future. To be clear, I'm having a blast, going very slowly and carefully as it's my first wood build (although I have the Spitfire and DC-3 in waiting).

Jim/Flyteach