Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Plywood replacement Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 02 August 2022 15:26:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Can anyone suggest suitable replacement to the plywood strips used for the 330/300mm long deck beams used in Stage18/19 of Pack 2?

The instructions tell you to make cuts to the rear face to allow for the deck & rib curvature. I must have gone too far in one spot and weakened them because while sanding them down one long and one short one bent so they are now useless!

CS tell me ther is no surplus stock in the UK so would have to come from Italy Crying RollEyes and we all know how that goes.

I thought if i could find a suitable pliable hardwood i can make my own. Any ideas???

Regards
Gray
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 02 August 2022 15:57:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Gray!
If you can get the actual curvature of the beams drawn out on paper I would suggest cutting or sanding a thick strip of plywood about an inch in depth, half an inch or so in thickness and the length of the beams to that curvature and then get some square section wood from a model shop or supplier, the same size as the beams and soak or steam them to make them pliable before clamping the beam to the plywood former along the curve.
Once the wood is dry you should be able to remove it from the clamps and have a wooden beam pre-shaped to the correct curve.
Best of luck!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 05 August 2022 11:30:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the reply, Robin.

Derek from the FST (delboy271155 - thanks Del- you're a star ThumpUp ) had a spare Pack 18, which he has very kindly sent me. Quite suprisingly, the beams in this pack, which came with the printed booklet, are actually WOOD, not plywood like mine! I think this is much better for me and definately the way to go.
I will try your bending idea Robin - hopefully that should work!
CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 05 August 2022 17:12:14

Just as an update to this, if anyone has an spare Issue 19 that they are willing to sell, I’d be interested

Regards Gray
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 05 August 2022 17:40:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Just as an update to this, if anyone has an spare Issue 19 that they are willing to sell, I’d be interested

Regards Gray

Hi Gray

I`m happy the spare was what you needed.Cool

As for the parts in pack 19, if it`s only the strip wood you need take a look in Cornwall model boats. Enter stripwood into their search engine and they do pages of different sizes.

Here`s hoping.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#6 Posted : 07 August 2022 13:05:16

BigGrin Good shout Del ThumpUp

It loks like the choice is between balsa, beech, and lime to get the correct measurements of the originals.

Does anyone happen to know the properties of these different woods, as to which would be best suited to 'steam bending'?
admin
#7 Posted : 07 August 2022 14:24:39

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
BigGrin Good shout Del ThumpUp

It loks like the choice is between balsa, beech, and lime to get the correct measurements of the originals.

Does anyone happen to know the properties of these different woods, as to which would be best suited to 'steam bending'?

Lime will bend the best. Balsa is too soft, and beech a bit too hard.

Best,

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#8 Posted : 31 October 2022 14:30:15

So, back in early August i posted about breaking the plywood deck beams and requesting replacements from Modelspace. I gave them the part number and issue number and was told they would be sent out from Italy. Well just look what finally arrived! Definitely NOT what i ordered, and probablt NOT even for the Victory. In the end, I got soooooo bored of waiting, i milled my own, which worked out much better that the originals anyway (didn't need scoring to bend). The thing is, IF i had been waiting for 3 months for specific parts and received these instead, i don't think i would have been so placid about it. Does anyone even recognise which kit they are from? USS 18 & USS19 are writen on the bags.
Honestly, you couldn't write it Confused RollEyes
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
IMG_1946.jpg
Plymouth57
#9 Posted : 31 October 2022 16:04:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gray!

When you said the bags were marked 'USS' I had a suspicion which turned out right! Have a look at stages 18 and 19 on the official USS Constitution build instructionsBigGrin

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
CaptnBirdseye
#10 Posted : 31 October 2022 18:26:47

And there it is: Pack 3, walls and gun mounts for USS Constitution. RollEyes
admin
#11 Posted : 04 November 2022 00:57:52

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Sigh